Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM

23 posts, read 56,799 times

Advertisements

Whtviper1- Thanx, you're so right!

KaraBenNemsi, I agree with Hotz...Your idea is awesome! That really does sound like the way to go for me, thank you!! Only thing is that I'm not real good at saving money haha. I spend very wisely, but if I have it I wanna use it. Maybe I will find an opportunity like what you describe with an option to invest into the operation for some kind of partial ownership. You guys have opened my eyes to some great sounding opportunities...I can't wait to get back there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Put your money in a bank with no debit card attached to the account. You'd have to physically go to the bank and take out the money. If it's harder to get to, you'll not spend it as fast. Also keep it in bigger bills, it's harder to break and spend a $100 than a $10. Also, if it is in lovely large bills, start a money collection - sorta like the way folks collect stamps, although you'd want to put it in a safety deposit box and not in any living accommodations, especially any in the Puna area. Or, put it in a Hawaiian Electric DRIP account. They will reinvest the dividends back into the account for you. They also pay much better interest than any bank does.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 PM

23 posts, read 56,799 times
Haha that's great Hotz...interesting about the drip acct!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's also illegal to camp in a tent ANYWHERE on the Big Island for more than 30 days, even if it is your own property. That's Hawai'i County

Dozens of people camp down on Hilo Bay all summer in tent cities. They have shanty living conditions. They have ramshackle cooking areas with no running water or shower facilities. The county provides port a potties, yes but they approve if not encourage camping.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloNewbie View Post
Dozens of people camp down on Hilo Bay all summer in tent cities. They have shanty living conditions. They have ramshackle cooking areas with no running water or shower facilities. The county provides port a potties, yes but they approve if not encourage camping.
What the county does to try to manage the homeless problem on public property should not be confused with encouraging camping.

Actual camping in state parks requires camping permits, and there's a limit on the total days you can camp in a month to discourage people from trying to camp full time. Camping on your own property, or on someone else's property with their permission is permitted for 30 days. After that time any neighbor can complain to the police, and if they have a beef against you, they can make your life very unpleasant indeed, because it is an illegal activity.

Does that mean the law is very well enforced? No. Does that mean nobody does it? It does not.

The point is, it's not something you can count on. You might get away with it, and you might not. If it's a critical part of your building plan, you could wind up with a mess on your hands.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 4,960 times
I’ve read over hundred posts today...seems like the same thing... big dreamers and no clue... few people on here that have been registered for ever are very helpful and smart ! Can anyone help us....? We live Hamakua coast are employed and are seeking a work trade or cheaper rent situation... we are shooting for off grid and have the means to grow our own food. Any help would be amazing.. we are not homeless right now but are looking for something ASAP in loo of paying rent. Mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island