Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,257 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very passionate about volleyball and are looking to move to the Big Island near April 2015.

We are having a rather difficult time finding leagues out there for indoor or outdoor volleyball. We do like co-ed but are willing to play womens league//mens league. We do play competitive volleyball, but we are willing to play casual level as well.

Does anyone have any information on leagues in hawaii and links to them if possible?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,702,927 times
If no-one has any personal knowledge, you could Google "volleyball leagues Hawaii". I found some in Kailua-Kona (aka Kona), which is on the Big Island. Make sure you don't look at Kailua, which is on Oahu.

Maybe some of the gyms or athletic clubs in Kona would know about leagues.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM

I've done many searches for that type of thing and its coming up with leagues for highschool-aged leagues. I'm having a hard time finding adult leagues (15+ usually). Sadly my wife and I would not be allowed in highschool leagues

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,702,927 times
check out hawaii.sportsvite.com

I saw postings by two teams looking for people to play adult co-ed volleyball. It's a start.

Maybe some of the gyms or athletic clubs in Kona would know about leagues.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
If you can't find one, you could start one?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM

April 2015 is somewhat far away but yes, We'd be interested in starting pickup games and taking it from there if there is currently nothing to out there offered.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
This sad saga might shed some light...

A couple of years ago there was a big discussion in the Volcano community about how best to use the covered recreational space at the east end of the Cooper Center. Other than what local churches might have for their members, and an open field in back of the old schoolhouse, it's the only "sports" space in the village.

At that time roughly half the space was occupied by a hardboard skateboard park that was in poor repair and monopolized by teen boys. The other half was a basketball court that was used by teen boys and grown men. Not only did the space not have much to offer to girls, it had become a thuggish place where nasty loud music was played, and drug deals were suspected, challenging the peace of the park and the popular children's playground, and upsetting the surrounding homeowners. But the tipping point was reached over liability insurance to cover the rec space when the County Parks Department policy changed, and they announced they would no longer cover liability insurance for the skateboard park.

Seizing the opportunity to perhaps root out the "skate punks," the village elders put out a call for suggestions on how to repurpose the space for the greater community good. Considering how big college volleyball is in Hawai'i, and that scholarships are available for top players, and that Olympic volleyball is so widely followed, I thought that volleyball was a perfect replacement. The investment required would be very small... basically just nets and balls and restriping the cement floor once the old masonite skate ramps were removed. And the opportunity to set up different leagues for different groups... boys, girls, women, men, young, old, whatever... would be a great organizing opportunity for the Community Center. All groups could participate. To me it seemed like a no-brainer.

Well, I guess they agreed that it was a no-brainer because when the Board culled and sifted down all the submitted suggestions to just a few for the community to vote on, volleyball wasn't even on the short list. It just wasn't anything the community was interested in supporting, much less participating in. Makes no sense to me, but there ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: