Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,689 times

Advertisements

I bought a car a couple of months ago 2002 dodge Intrepid. We are moving off island in a few weeks and I would like to get rid of it. I am wondering if anyone knows of dealerships in Hilo that buy used cars. I am not looking to make a bunch of money, just don't want to deal with the hassle of going through Craigslist. Any info will be helpful. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagantk8 View Post
I bought a car a couple of months ago 2002 dodge Intrepid. We are moving off island in a few weeks and I would like to get rid of it. I am wondering if anyone knows of dealerships in Hilo that buy used cars. I am not looking to make a bunch of money, just don't want to deal with the hassle of going through Craigslist. Any info will be helpful. Thanks
You won't get squat from a dealership. I mean, nothing.
Private message me, if you still have it. I have a friend looking for a decent car right now.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM

24 posts, read 58,101 times
I stopped by the ford dealership in Hilo this morning and talked to Dave Anderson. Seems like a upright type of guy. I am selling a 2006 ford mustang GT and I am gonna bring it in and have them take a look at it and make me an offer. He said that if I didn't like the offer they also give you a choice to sell your car on consignment through their dealership. I am not vouching for them yet. I am still in the middle of the process of selling the car and I intend to stop by and get offers from several dealers. I take my 2012 Ford supercrew Raptor there for service and have not had any problems with them. I will update later next week to let you know how it goes.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
As a buyer, I went to almost every used car dealership in Hilo and wasn't impressed. Most of the inventory was grossly overpriced, or it was junk, or it was overpriced junk. I made an offer on one vehicle, though it was less than they were asking it was also well above bluebook (and generous in my opinion) and they turned it down fairly abruptly. I wound up buying both our cars off of Craigslist.

The moral of the story is that there are other car markets on the island, and other major population centers in Waimea and Kona.

Craigslist is a quagmire in Hawaii. Stored plates, back taxes, no current safety inspection, unclear titles... I would think if your vehicle was legit and legal it would sell VERY quickly.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM

terracore - you are spot on... The Hilo used car scene is terrible if trying to buy from a dealership. They seem to think that their vehicles are made of gold and if you are trading in, your vehicle is worthless to them. I just bought a used SUV for one of the boys and negotiated $5,000 off the dealer's price. I knew what I wanted and how much real wholesale value was (NOT KBB.COM PRICE! I use Blackbook, just like the dealers do). I offered $250 over Blackbook wholesale and showed them the cash in hand. They complained, they whined. I started walking out... they ran up and said OK.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
.....Craigslist is a quagmire in Hawaii. Stored plates, back taxes, no current safety inspection, unclear titles... I would think if your vehicle was legit and legal it would sell VERY quickly.
This hits upon a very valid issue in Hawaii!

Never buy a used vehicle without checking the VIN and license plates and safety inspection with the County! If a seller insists you buy it now, and the County DMV office is closed - WAIT anyway.

Check the VIN on the title with the one in the window and check the VIN on various body panels as well.
Cars are routinely chopped here and VIN's are traded around.
Safety stickers get stolen and put on other vehicles.
If you buy a vehicle with expired plates (registration) and the buyer says he "checked" and the back taxes are $xxx, you had better call and confirm that with the County - cause 9 times out of 10, the buyer is flat out lying!
It really is a quagmire.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Craig's List isn't really that much of a hassle for selling stuff. You advertise it, folks come over and bring money and take it away. Although if you are trying to get top dollar it takes a bit more work, but if you are just trying to get more than the dealer will give you, it shouldn't be that bad. But, if it's a problem for you, it's a problem for you.

I really can't think of many ways other than to the dealers or Craig's List or coconut wireless. Let your family and friends know you are selling it and they may know someone who wants it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island