Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,962 times

Advertisements

thanks mdand3boys and yes I like their prices on both the w/heaters and compost (rv) toilets. I can make my own compost setup with an rv toilet.
Thanks hotzcatz and OpenD for the island water spigot locatiions. I got one of those 300 gal caged containers ;>/
I've already planned on a wood stove in the house. And some fleece, thermals, hot woman.
terracore; like price, but will probably spill for the larger one that can be plumbed in permanent. About 220 for that one! Amazon will be my best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 PM

BTW I have had previous experience with the instant water heaters, they seemed to get plugged quickly with salts, scale. Is that still the case with the new ones, any one with long term experience? Leilaniguy?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereatoll View Post
BTW I have had previous experience with the instant water heaters, they seemed to get plugged quickly with salts, scale. Is that still the case with the new ones, any one with long term experience? Leilaniguy?
Rainwater has no salts or minerals. Matter of fact, some people on catchment use nutritional mineral supplements to avoid depletion in the body.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
thanks mdand3boys and yes I like their prices on both the w/heaters and compost (rv) toilets. I can make my own compost setup with an rv toilet.
Sure, you can even make your own with a bucket and sawdust, but that doesn't mean it will pass muster with the building inspector. The expectation is that you will use a rental toilet service while you are under construction, and they can shut you down until you comply.

Quote:
Thanks hotzcatz and OpenD for the island water spigot locatiions. I got one of those 300 gal caged containers ;>/
In the industry it's called a tote. Keep in mind that a 330 gallon tote full of water weighs over 2,500 pounds. There are a couple of folks I've seen who only fill them halfway due to the weight.

Quote:
I've already planned on a wood stove in the house.
One of my neighbors owns the fireplace store in Hilo. There's another one in Waimea that regularly advertises to beat his prices.

Quote:
And some fleece, thermals, hot woman.
Electric blankets are also popular in the area.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Bringing eblankets. Course need power for that, will get commencing on temporary power hookup this week as well as renewing building permit (crossed fingers). Fireplace store is a good lead, OpenD; what brand is popular there, and efficient; maybe wood and other fuels combined. I guess I should get the name of that store and see him myself, thanx for the tip.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Bringing eblankets. Course need power for that, will get commencing on temporary power hookup this week as well as renewing building permit (crossed fingers).
Well, this time of year I don't think you have any worries about blankets, other than maybe a summerweight light thermal for cold snaps. Mosquitoes are more likely to be an issue.

Quote:
Fireplace store is a good lead, OpenD; what brand is popular there, and efficient; maybe wood and other fuels combined. I guess I should get the name of that store and see him myself, thanx for the tip.
Heck if I know. I remember really liking the Jotul, I think it was, with green soapstone sides in one printmaker's house on the Holiday art tour. And I remember another is a LOPI, because I kept thinking it should should be LODI. And a Vermont Castings and a bunch of who knows what.

Anyway, store 1 is Fireplaces & Home Center, on the bayfront in Hilo toward the west end, been in business 35 years, seems to run to the high end. Bring money. fireplacehawaii.com

Store 2 is Hawaii Fireplaces in Uilani Plaza, on Hwy 19 in Waimea. Opened in 2011, advertises he will "beat any deal," seems a little more down to earth. hawaiifireplaces.com

And there are used ones around, but if I was buying I'd get a new one, latest design, because they use far less fuel.

As far as firewood, it's readily available and it's fairly cheap because 'olala forest is so close and lots of folks harvest firewood for side money. Ohia is most common, and is best for a banked fire that will burn all night. Kiawe is a mesquite that burns hotter, but faster.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 710 times
Hey nowhere atoll,
I'm moving to the big Island in a couple of months and would be interested in learning how things worked out for you, particularly with shipping water containers with household goods. Also, did you go with a composting toilet or a more water based system?

Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwakio1 View Post
Hey nowhere atoll,
I'm moving to the big Island in a couple of months and would be interested in learning how things worked out for you, particularly with shipping water containers with household goods. Also, did you go with a composting toilet or a more water based system?
We'll never know. He/she hasn't posted anything here since April 2014.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
But you could start a new thread and ask all the questions again. There have been changes since then, one of the biggest is no more cesspools and septic tanks are now required instead.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Generally, only people with unpermitted systems have a composting toilet. As I understand it, a septic system is required for handling the gray water anyway, so a composting toilet has all the inconvenience of emptying and maintenance, and none of the costs savings of a regular toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island