Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:48 AM

47 posts, read 69,710 times

Advertisements

I'm happy for you, TZ (and a tad jealous!); hope the move goes well! Please keep us posted on how things go for you, I'm planning the same move myself.The only thing holding me back is the prospect of having enough work....I'll really be interested in your experience! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 22,290 times
Thank you very much for your good wishes. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
There is a guy in Ainaloa off the main drag that sells big bundles of veggies for a dollar. I think he grows most of it himself, so the selection is limited to what is being harvested that week, but its a good deal. We only go there on Saturday mornings, so I don't know if he is open any other days or hours.

The vendors selling papayas 4/dollar - 6/dollar get them from the papaya places like Calavo, DHP, etc. They are the "rejects". There is nothing wrong with them, they just aren't as pretty to look at. I've heard that you can get a pickup load for $20 so even 6 for a dollar the vendors are doing pretty well. (We get ours for free through connections and feed them to livestock).

The "homemade" mac nut butter you might want to be wary of. There is a mac nut grower in HA who runs all his farm equipment off of homemade mac nut biodiesel and he sells the crushed nuts from the extraction process cheap. It's a good feed supplement for chickens, but some people make mac nut butter out of it and sell at the market. It's "probably" safe to eat, but its still a byproduct of producing fuel, not initially prepared with human consumption in mind.

A lot of the stuff at "farmer's markets" comes from Costco and from people shopping the sales at the major grocery places. I remember when the local market had a helluva deal on asparagus and we bought some, then saw the same asparagus for sale at the farmer's market the following day with the appropriate markup, about twice what we paid.

Most of the local stores do buy and sell local produce when they can get it. Most farmers, like ourselves, have way too small operations for anything like that. We usually trade or sell to neighbors and friends only, or we feed surplus food to our animals.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
If you have surplus vegetables, you might try trading them to the farmer's market folks. Frequently they are open to trading veggies for veggies.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Just a quick update. We have been here on the east side of the BI for about a month now. We rent a place north of Hilo. It would be ideal to find a larger place within our budget, but we are still getting a feel for the BI and will wait for a while before choosing a more permanent home.
As far as our budget is concerned, we have benefited greatly from listening to advice from this forum's posters and people that we have met here. We focus on buying the basics as far as groceries, and always favor local produce from the farmer's market. The papayas are great! We liked farmer's markets in Michigan too.
Rent prices do seem to be greatly inflated. Many of the places that we had looked at were in very bad shape too. That is certainly a challenge for a new resident. But we were fortunate enough to find a decent place (although small) for a reasonable price.
There are things that we love about this place: the views, the vegetation, the "driving with aloha", the weather, the ocean, the fresh fruits, and the Hilo library.
I am white, though, and have felt a bit of coldness from many and rudeness from a few. I was expecting it, but I compare it to getting a shot- you know it's coming, but it still hurts! Prejudice is never pleasant. My husband, who is not white, has been treated much better.
I realize that whether or not I let it bother me is my choice, so I know that I just have to work on my own feelings and try to do what's right toward others no matter how badly they behave. I have days when I feel down about it and days when I just try to be myself, with the manners my mama taught me. Please and thank you and excuse me.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Aloha, and welcome.

Short but quick advice... no matter how you feel, lead with a big smile and a friendly "Aloha." It makes a lot of difference.

You'll still get some stink eye occasionally, but overall when you lead with Aloha, you will get Aloha in return.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
What has been the best thing so far about your move to Hawaii?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha, and welcome.

Short but quick advice... no matter how you feel, lead with a big smile and a friendly "Aloha." It makes a lot of difference.

You'll still get some stink eye occasionally, but overall when you lead with Aloha, you will get Aloha in return.

Good luck!

Good advice OpenD.
I haven't lived long on the Big Island so my experience a Haole is limited. But I am employing the same tactics I did when I was a Gussick amongst the Yupik in Alaska (Gussik=same as Haole to a degree).
Best defense is a good offense. When meeting anyone, don't wait to guage their mood. Pre-emptive strike, be the first to intiate a warm, friendly interaction and rarely will you get anything else in return.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha, and welcome.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! That is how I have been thinking. I have to choose how I will behave. Some people will still be unfriendly ( and actually I have had that happen already) but it doesn't change the fact that I owe everybody the same consideration and treatment. Aloha is something that people of every kind should show! And that includes me.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What has been the best thing so far about your move to Hawaii?
Husband answers: "the weather."
Daughter answers: "nature."
I love to be driving along Mamalahoa highway north of Hilo and seeing the varying colors of the ocean, the trees and flowers. I love to look up toward the mountains and see the clouds and the rain falling there like curtains. I love the orchids everywhere. And I am getting used to the coquis and the crazy mynah birds!
As you can see, I'm hard-pressed to choose one thing!
I feel that I am fortunate to be here, despite some dificulties. I believe that it is possible to find beauty no matter where you are, but only if you are looking. Hawaii just makes it very easy to find the beauty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island