Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Is it possible to install a battery tied system with an automatic or manual switchover system, similar to the switchover that you would have if the the home power was supplied by the utility or an electric generator? Maybe in that situation the automatic or manual switch could switch between the battery tied PV system, the utility power, and the electric generator.
There are controllers available which will do that, yes. I saw one demonstrated at an environmental show maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but I'm not sure HELCO has approved them, and I read a story last year about a guy in California who was suing his utility because they wouldn't approve his for connection to the grid.

The big issue is that in the event of a power failure on the grid, the utilities want to make sure all the independent power sources automatically disconnect, and stay disconnected until the grid fix is completed. They are afraid that repairmen could be killed if stray current leaked onto the grid during an outage, so they're being ultra conservative about the connections they will allow. And adding a backup generator into the mix sounds like even more of a wild card.

As far as the other alternatives, yeah, batteries are expensive, and the traditional "flooded" lead acid batteries require monthly maintenance, and can be ruined in no time at all if you forget. The newer sealed AGM batteries are supposedly maintenance free, but they're even more expensive and are prone to damage if overheated or overcharged. The total cost to run a solar system with a battery backup is far more expensive than running a solar system with a grid-tie, which is why demand for grid-tie systems is so popular now. The trouble is that the grid system wasn't designed for this type of multi-source power distribution, and it's old and not well maintained, and the utility says it is beginning to show instability. So they've basically just shut down new permits while they figure out what to do next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Due

245 posts, read 379,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There are controllers available which will do that, yes. I saw one demonstrated at an environmental show maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but I'm not sure HELCO has approved them, and I read a story last year about a guy in California who was suing his utility because they wouldn't approve his for connection to the grid.

The big issue is that in the event of a power failure on the grid, the utilities want to make sure all the independent power sources automatically disconnect, and stay disconnected until the grid fix is completed. They are afraid that repairmen could be killed if stray current leaked onto the grid during an outage, so they're being ultra conservative about the connections they will allow. And adding a backup generator into the mix sounds like even more of a wild card.

As far as the other alternatives, yeah, batteries are expensive, and the traditional "flooded" lead acid batteries require monthly maintenance, and can be ruined in no time at all if you forget. The newer sealed AGM batteries are supposedly maintenance free, but they're even more expensive and are prone to damage if overheated or overcharged. The total cost to run a solar system with a battery backup is far more expensive than running a solar system with a grid-tie, which is why demand for grid-tie systems is so popular now. The trouble is that the grid system wasn't designed for this type of multi-source power distribution, and it's old and not well maintained, and the utility says it is beginning to show instability. So they've basically just shut down new permits while they figure out what to do next.
Agree: this is what HELCO stated, but I believe they stated the shut down applies to neighborhoods with over 75% PV coverage.

Thought seriously about going off the grid, but it might kill the home's value and not sure the HOA would approve it. But.....
There are new lithium ion battery systems coming: French battery maker scores multimillion-dollar contract with Kauai utility - Pacific Business News

This might come into play too: Hawaii's Parker Ranch explores possible 200MW renewable-energy project - Pacific Business News

Old 08-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Hmmmm, it looks like HELCO (not to be confused with HECO or MECO ) may have updated things a bit since I last looked. I see now that in January they added some language... "PV systems with battery backup must also get an initial review by the utility to ensure interconnection is done properly. As a reminder, please read about our steps to help PV customers interconnect.

http://www.hawaiielectriclight.com/v...ELCOPublic.pdf

The main page for Big Island Net Metering connections (grid-tie) is at Hawaii Electric Light: Net Energy Metering for Hawaii Island

Quote:
Thought seriously about going off the grid, but it might kill the home's value and not sure the HOA would approve it.
I doubt that an HOA has anything to say on the matter unless they prohibit solar panels. You could simply disconnect the wiring connection at the service entrance now, install on off-grid system, then later on, once HELCO gets their act together, apply for a grid-tie and net metering connection. As far as value, a solar PV system should increase the market value of the house.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-04-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Due

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hmmmm, it looks like HELCO (not to be confused with HECO or MECO ) may have updated things a bit since I last looked. I see now that in January they added some language... "PV systems with battery backup must also get an initial review by the utility to ensure interconnection is done properly. As a reminder, please read about our steps to help PV customers interconnect.

http://www.hawaiielectriclight.com/v...ELCOPublic.pdf

The main page for Big Island Net Metering connections (grid-tie) is at Hawaii Electric Light: Net Energy Metering for Hawaii Island

I doubt that an HOA has anything to say on the matter unless they prohibit solar panels. You could simply disconnect the wiring connection at the service entrance now, install on off-grid system, then later on, once HELCO gets their act together, apply for a grid-tie and net metering connection. As far as value, a solar PV system should increase the market value of the house.

Thanks OD:
we've collected most of the info available and with my experience, fully understand the values of real estate.
Our HOA (Design Review Committee) does have say in the matter, but it's not prohibiting the PV system. There is a Review fee and they're strict about location of panels, wiring, etc. Also additional buildings (battery storage?) are prohibited. Lucky we have about 1,200' of enclosed storage area.

I am somewhat concerned about the maintenance of lead acid batteries and the new solid state batteries are pricy.

Sooner or later we'll have a system: in the interim we have a hefty electric bill.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
I am somewhat concerned about the maintenance of lead acid batteries and the new solid state batteries are pricy.
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) lead acid batteries are sealed, and zero maintenance, but more expensive than conventional flooded lead acid batteries.

Yeah, li-ion batteries are very expensive, but a new technology breakthrough announced at Stanford the other day could cut those costs by 2/3 within a couple of years.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Due

Saft, the French battery maker ( Saft | World leader in high technology batteries) has a battery now: being used in the new Kaui Solar project.

Intensium® Max | Saft

Intensium® Home | Saft

They have other applications too.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,241 times
Properly maintained lead acid batteries can last 10 years or more. We've never had an electric bill - some propane, yes, for cooking and the dryer.

We use golf cart batteries. They vary in price from $95 each up.

State law says HOA cannot regulate alternative energy systems on dwellings. It is a no brainer to install where we get so much sun - despite the rain.

EN

Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 PM

HECO's new rate proposal would raise costs for solar users, promote LNG use...

But before anybody blows steam out of their ears, it's merely a proposal to the PUC at this point, and some are already saying it's not going to be approved in its present form. We shall see...

Quote:
The proposal creates new fees for both non-solar and solar customers and invests in liquefied natural gas

Hawaiian Electric Co.'s new energy plan angered solar customers, who could face higher monthly bills, but pleased non-solar customers, who might see their costs drop.

HECO's proposal, designed to break Hawaii's dependence on fossil fuels, includes a major investment in liquefied natural gas, which environmentalists said would only delay the state's transition to renewable energy sources.

The electric utility submitted its 2,731-page plan to the state Public Utilities Commission late Tuesday and much of the reaction on Wednesday focused on whether the PUC would approve the proposed changes.

"This kind of proposal is dead on arrival," said Colin Yost, general counsel at RevoluSun, a Honolulu residential solar company. "This is the beginning of the process and we don't think it will be accepted."
HECO plan raises solar costs Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: