Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 AM

10 posts, read 81,762 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

I'm a 10 year resident of Kailua Kona and I eat, sleep, breathe, live and love Kona Hawaii. I own a service business here, so I have a lot of contact with all kinds of folks here in town. If you have questions about Kona, I have answers. If I don't know the answer, I know who does.

Kona's population has exploded in the last 5 years and the infastructure is sorely lacking, but it's still a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 22,479 times
Unhappy Job Offers

I jsut passed up a job offer to work in security in the airport there. My reason for doing this was due to the rate of pay vs the cost of living. I alos have a loan payment of ~$600 every month. THe girl had told me that everyone who wokrs there pretty much works a second job or has a second income in the family. I'm from Canada but have dual citizenship but my BF doens't, he's just Canadain. I passed up the job thinking that i couldn't support myself on the wage. He is expirenced as a bartender, construction and golf course work. How hard would it have been for him to get a sponsor for work once we got there??? Just want to know i made the rigth finicial decision but i may stil have time to change it.

Any input would be great. thanks <><

Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 19,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konafriend View Post

Aloha everyone,

I'm a 10 year resident of Kailua Kona and I eat, sleep, breathe, live and love Kona Hawaii...
Aloha kf,
I have been looking for a place to share or alone, in kona.
West Hawaii Today, and Craigslist are my current resources.
Do you have any better suggestions to how I might find a room or affordable place to rent?
Me: single professional male, ns, nd, np.
Mahalo

Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Default You did the right thing

How hard would it have been for him to get a sponsor for work once we got there??? Just want to know i made the right financial decision but i may still have time to change it.

Aloha Corals89,

It takes about 50K a year to live in Kona at the minimum. Lots of people here work a couple jobs. The best way to move to Kona is "debt free." Waiting till you're in that position would probably be the smart thing to do.

Jobs are plentiful in the 30K a year area but like I said, it takes about 50K to be above water so to speak, this where the rub is and why a lot of folks have two jobs.

If you're a couple each with an average job of at least 30K you're just getting by. If you're single, well, it's going to be hard.

As far as a sponsor goes, it's a huge commitment for the employer, I know, I considered hiring a Canadian and I just wasn't willing to jump through the hoops that were required. But I'm a small company, maybe a big one would be willing, like one of the resort Hotels. A phone call to their HR dept. might be worthwhile.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Aloha Kalani,

The other place you might check is removed They have a classified section on their site. Hmmm, maybe I should add one to mine?

Goodluck!

Last edited by Marka; 12-03-2006 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,719 times
Hello,

My daughter and I are coming to Kona this month for Christmas. We are on a budget. What are some of the best places to go for restaurants and what are some of the things we want to do on a budget. She is 20. Any help would be great!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Aloha,

Here is information on a Free Polynesian hula show at the Keauhou shopping center. Friday evenings at 6PM. removed

The Big Island Grill located at the corner of Henry St. and Kuakinini Hwy has good local food and very reasonable prices. Quinn's across from the King Kamehameha Hotel next to the pier is also good and reasonable.

I eat all over town, most places are reasonable. Don't eat at the hotels and you'll save a lot of money. If you want to shop at Safeway, make sure you have a Safeway card. Or the prices are a lot more.

Other free things you can do: Walk the petroglyph fields. In the above link there is more information about that. Hopefully I've been helpful. Aloha.

Last edited by Marka; 12-03-2006 at 05:53 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,450 times
Aloha Angel Cafe has the YUMMIEST breakfasts! I had a BLAST when I went there. I swear I liked it so much I ate there every morning when I was in Kona for my vacation. http://www.alohatheatre.com/chome.html (broken link)

It's a really really cute little eatery place and I'll never forget how much I loved it there. The food is great and you can feed Geckos sugar and sitting outside you have a great view of the nature.

The Aloha Theatre & Aloha Angel Cafe are located 8 miles south of Kailua-Kona on Highway 11 in Kainaliu Town (79-7384 Mamalahoa Hwy. Kainaliu, HI 96750).

Please check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,710 times
Default Need more info, on relocating to the Big Island.

Aloha,
WRITING TO YOU IN THE NEED OF SOME INFO.
WE ARE A SMALL CONSTRUCTION COMPANY OUT OF SOUTHERN CA. AND WOULD LIKE TO RELOCATE TO THE BIG ISLAND. WE ALSO HAVE 3 DAUGHTERS THAT RANGE FROM 12-19 YEARS. WHAT AREA DO YOU THINK WOULD BE A GOOD AREA, LOOKING FOR A LEASE/OPTION TO BUY OR A RENTAL. I HAVE LOOKED AT MANY PLACE'S, BUT WE ALSO HAVE 2 DOGS THAT ARE GOING THROUGH QUARTINE AS WE SPEAK, SO YOUR INFO IS GREATLY NEEDED, THANKS AND ALOHA CAILEEN PLEASE E-MAIL OR CALL (909)-559-8960
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island