Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
E como mai, J.T. It's a nice hop over from Phoenix, too, not one of those terribly long flights from the East Coast. Did you get a direct flight? What has been the most surprising thing for you so far? What's been your favorite?
Aloha

Note to Rex - we beat you here!

hotzcatz - We left Orlando Saturday morning, went thru Phoenix, arrived in Kona at 6ish local time. A little over six hours actual flight time for that leg of trip. Stayed first night at the new Holiday Inn Express in Kona. Not a resort, but very nice place to crash for a night or two.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 8,573 times
Hotzcaz, Thanks for the welcome. It was Phx to Honolulu then to Hilo. No surprises yet. Most people have been real friendly and I've been making it a point to eat local type foods. It's warm and humid but that was expected. Didn't rain until just after dark. I fished all day yesterday. I guess it was surprising that I didn't catch anything all day

Old 01-11-2015, 11:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Ah, from Orlando to Phoenix to Honolulu to Hilo is not exactly a direct flight, but I suppose it's much faster than it would have been a few decades ago. Have you made it to Southpoint yet or will you be resting in Kailua-Kona for awhile?

Fishing here is different than on the mainland, Josh. Try reading a book called "Fishing Hawaiian Style" by Jim Rizzuto. It's a series of three books. They should have a copy at the library if you can't find it in a book store. May as well get a library card too, while you're at it. Then you can take the books out of the library and not have to find shelf space at home to keep them on. There's a good fishing store on Manono street called Tokunaga's. Also up in Kurtistown of all places, J. Hara.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

268 posts, read 383,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t.smith View Post
?.. I fished all day yesterday. I guess it was surprising that I didn't catch anything all day
Is that why they call it "fishing" instead of "catching"!? Bada bing

If you're so inclined I would ask you to just give us a running commentary of your move and the things you see, challenges you face, unexpected stuff (good and bad) you encounter in your new life there. Maybe start a new thread. It would just be nice to read about life on the BI from the perspective of someone FOTB, so to speak. For those of us who dream about it one day we can live vicariously through you!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM

68 posts, read 107,298 times
Default update

I have been in Vanc. Wa. pretty much since last post, awaiting new ID so I can board plane. Been busy visiting/helping fams (hence no recent updates) and have switched to a new phone (LG... already am dissatisfied). ID came Friday, reservations made, am flying out Monday morning, 7:20 am, arrive 11:42 ish am your time. Going to airport tonight, as fams would have to get up around 3 am to get me there in time in morning. Have reservations on a small storage locker, to keep my few possesions (and those of my buddy, arriving Weds. am, same flight) safe while we do the acclimation thing!
Wish me luck/pray for safe flight/etc... as personally applicable!

RC

Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 12,737 times
Safe travels Rex Chetco! Good luck. I'm arriving Tuesday. I'll be meeting a friend and we'll then drive around Puna looking at property for sale.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 PM

293 posts, read 361,865 times
Ahhh yes, Sunriver, I used to live in Bend as well as many other places in Oregon. Used to fly down to the Sunriver airport and take the train to the restaurant for lunch. Starting to plan my next trip to Hawaii later this year with a detour to Alaska.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
See what did i say earlier, alot of people from Hawaii live in Oregon. Anyway i know this is kinda off topic but i wantted to post this because its not in an obvious place that can be truly helpful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...ere-aloha.html

Just in case anyone ever gets home sick for da hawaii/hawaiian culture.

Just ran into a couple of kama'aina at the grocery store lastnight who just moved to portland and while we talkstory about life in da good ol days in Oahu, i felt the urge to share what was available here in Portland regarding island culture. It really felt good to see the smile on there faces when they learned they didn't quite move to a 100% forign country. That Hawaii music talents like HAPA, Jake S and others do stop in Portland. And we do have Hawaiian Cultural Festivals here and ok hawaiian food places. Being of service is great.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-27-2015 at 04:03 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM

68 posts, read 107,298 times
Default I'm heeee-eeere

Plane got in a half-hour early, at 11:15.... which seems to have set the tone, as things have been going wonderfully well!
I LOVE this air! Every hundred feet there is this wonderful aroma, from flowers (especially those lil yellow puffballs, and what smells like daphne, my favorite flower, wbich I like to call fruitloop flowers) and fruits... and fresh sea breezes! The water is warm and clean, everyone I've spoken with is friendly and receptive, volunteering tidbits of knowledge and lore. It is healthy and alive here.... even the slight vog is better than Portland nice day air! I may never leave!
Found a great temporary crash spot near Costco (where I now sit and write, in the shade of the employee smoking area umbrellas), at which I can be fairly secure and comfy til my buddy gets here tomorrow. From there/then..... who knows?

RC

Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Chetco View Post
Plane got in a half-hour early, at 11:15.... which seems to have set the tone, as things have been going wonderfully well!
I LOVE this air! Every hundred feet there is this wonderful aroma, from flowers (especially those lil yellow puffballs, and what smells like daphne, my favorite flower, wbich I like to call fruitloop flowers) and fruits... and fresh sea breezes! The water is warm and clean, everyone I've spoken with is friendly and receptive, volunteering tidbits of knowledge and lore. It is healthy and alive here.... even the slight vog is better than Portland nice day air! I may never leave!
Found a great temporary crash spot near Costco (where I now sit and write, in the shade of the employee smoking area umbrellas), at which I can be fairly secure and comfy til my buddy gets here tomorrow. From there/then..... who knows?

RC
You could go online and see if there are any camping spots available at Ho'okena beach. It's on the way to South Point, has facilities (including warm showers) and is a great place to contemplate your next move. IMHO, beats the Costco lot, though cheap gas and pizza slices do have a certain allure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island