Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM

140 posts, read 188,806 times

Advertisements

Yes, I hope to see updates here from time to time. When I read the OP say that $21 a day was too much for a place to camp, my initial reaction was identical to davephan. However the risk is the OP's to take, and there is a part of me that admires someone that is willing to pick up and go somewhere and be willing to rough it and do what they need to in order to survive. I wish him luck.

OP, next time you post, would you mind sharing how old you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:12 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Thanks for the update OP. Please keep updating, I am intrigued by how your adventure turns out.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Rex, will you have William with you?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Thanks for the update Rex. It sounds like life is a struggle for you. You're living a much harder lifestyle than I think I'd ever imagine living. I hope life is better for you in Hawaii, enjoying the great weather! There's blizzard warnings for the outstate areas in Minnesota tomorrow. Good luck to you, living the dream in Hawaii.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 PM

68 posts, read 107,176 times
@GM
See profile.
@DoH
No, dagnabbit! But he will be coming over in the mail when I have to go back for whatever obligations which draw me back.... temporarilly.... (@confused ppl... try search)
@dp
All life is a struggle, but mine ain't so bad... ;-}

RC

Old 03-04-2015, 12:35 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If we see you up around the other end of the island with your signs, we'll give you a ride. Almost like different worlds, though, since each end of the island is so far apart.

Gardening will be interesting in HOVE. Hmm, if I were to try to garden in HOVE, I'd stack rocks into a circle about two or three feet tall. Line it with plastic (there's inexpensive sheet plastic at Ace that is used as drop cloths when painting) and make the drainage holes about 2" - 3" or even 6" up from the bottom so there would be a reservoir of water at the bottom. Put in a 3" - 4" layer of rocks in the bottom, then soil (if you can find any) and then a layer of mulch to help retain moisture and then dig holes in the mulch for the seeds. If it were my garden, I'd probably have some sort of windbreak, too, to keep the wind from stealing moisture. Folks like drip lines in that area, too. With a raised bed garden, the area requiring water and fertilizer would be concentrated in the area for the plants and things are much easier to reach, too. You can get inexpensive seeds from the U of H - Agricultural Diagnostic Service Center - Seed Program They have a limited variety, but the seed packets are only $1 and I think that includes postage, too.

Papaya and pineapples should grow well in HOVE, at least, in the lower portions of it. How far up in the sub are you?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If we see you up around the other end of the island with your signs, we'll give you a ride. Almost like different worlds, though, since each end of the island is so far apart.

Gardening will be interesting in HOVE. Hmm, if I were to try to garden in HOVE, I'd stack rocks into a circle about two or three feet tall. Line it with plastic (there's inexpensive sheet plastic at Ace that is used as drop cloths when painting) and make the drainage holes about 2" - 3" or even 6" up from the bottom so there would be a reservoir of water at the bottom. Put in a 3" - 4" layer of rocks in the bottom, then soil (if you can find any) and then a layer of mulch to help retain moisture and then dig holes in the mulch for the seeds. If it were my garden, I'd probably have some sort of windbreak, too, to keep the wind from stealing moisture. Folks like drip lines in that area, too. With a raised bed garden, the area requiring water and fertilizer would be concentrated in the area for the plants and things are much easier to reach, too. You can get inexpensive seeds from the U of H - Agricultural Diagnostic Service Center - Seed Program They have a limited variety, but the seed packets are only $1 and I think that includes postage, too.

Papaya and pineapples should grow well in HOVE, at least, in the lower portions of it. How far up in the sub are you?

Hotzcatz is pretty much on the mark here. It has only been 5 months since I dug out my beds, but I have been able to turn two full crops in that time. I have actually found growing in lava much easier than growing back in Northern California.

I currently have two sunken test-beds that were dug down 3' (by hand ) and are 5' x 20'. I use a drip system and only water about once per week. Yields have been great and so far about the only thing that hasn't worked was corn. Corn did well, but the last bad wind-storm knocked it all down. As long as the beds are well constructed, I don't see any downside to farming on lava. I have almost zero pests, no pigs to deal with, very little if any weeding to do and the only reason I have fencing around my beds is to keep my chickens out. The only real negative is procuring your growing medium.

this one has basil, zuchinni, cucumbers and four varieties of tomatoes.

I am also planting in some natural features; here I filled in a 2' deep natural fissure in the lava with soil and planted pineapples.

So don't let yourself be deterred from a lava bound property.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM

101 posts, read 138,420 times
Dang, those plants are looking good!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
ohelo berries might grow if you could find any starts of them. If you're high enough, protea might grow. Those are a good cash crop if you can find someone who wants to buy the flowers.

I've not had good luck with cucumbers, but yours seem to be doing well. Cherry tomatoes are a great choice, the fruit flies leave them alone.

There's some folks up in HOVE who have meat rabbits, you might be able to get some bunny manure for fertilizer.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 AM

68 posts, read 107,176 times
Default new update

We have limited power now! A deep cell battery and minor solar to keep it charged... at least enough to keep my phone charged...
We met GrassyKnoll. He gave us some tomatoes and basil. Thank you, GrassyKnoll. Our beans and root veggies (turnips? Or whatever... I'm not a fan...) are busting out! Peas are struggling along, but I have high hopes.
My buddy (just 'T', or 'Uncle T', if you choose to be locally politically correct, to you, should you meet him), already has a lady friend coming to visit for an extended period, to be determined. She arrives tomorrow. Soooooo..... If you happen to be in KK, and have room for two ppl + limited baggage, are willing to allow limited shopping/etc., around noon, and are willing/able to ferry to Ocean View........ let me know, by then, and I will set it all up! I will check here, DM and basic, periodically. Thank you for your attention and consideration, as applicable.
Our squatter left yesterday, ostensibly to return next Thursday, to retrieve the last of his things, and his dog. T made him sign handwritten documentation that he will return and deal with, at his cost, 23 years of debris, including 4 rotting vehicles, within 60 days. I do not expect to see him again. I believe I have 'inherited' a dog. He is a good dog, young and wanting fair instruction, which I am able and willing to provide.
We have new neighbors, folks who discovered the properties for sale by owner, the very same day we arrived here. It seems they will be a good match... friendly and local, and laid-back natural types like us.
I continue the struggle to beat the vile habit of tobacco smoking. If any of you have a way to 'shake' me up, please... DM me. It could mean a lot.

All for now...

RC

Edited to add:
10:52 PM now... going to play about an hour of my current (for about 6-8 months now), and foremost favorite, game...
Moonbase Inc. (Try it if you are a fan of old sim city/builder type games)
Alarm set for 4 AM, so I can awaken T, so he can get ready then walk an hour down mountain, to catch bus, to meet friend at airport... !
I'm gonna work the land... and the dog...

Last edited by Rex Chetco; 03-10-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island