Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM

409 posts, read 2,635,832 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating and planning my move to Hawaii. So far this is the plan.

1. I will take a bus from South TX to San Diego.
2. The same day I arrive at San Diego I will take a pre-purchased plane to Hilo.
3. Once I arrive at Hilo I will stay at a cheap hotel.
4. The same day of my arrival I will visit 3 different apartments I had previously searched and choose one.
5. The second day of my arrival I will move in to my new apartment and settle in. I will pay for 2 months of rent.
6. The first 2 months I will concentrate on getting a job.
7. Once I find a suitable job I will begin looking for a new apartment that is "relatively" close to my new job.
8. Once I find a place and a job I will consider buying a car/motorcycle on the island or importing my own from inland.

My budget is $2,500 to $3,000 max for the 2 first months.

Bus Tickets $85.
Plane Tickets $250.
Hotel $200.
Rent/Electricity/water per month $850 (shared). (Or lower)
Bus/taxi/auto-rental per month $200.
Food per month $450.
Leisure expenses per month $0. (I will try)
Health expenses per month $0. (I can only hope)

Travel Expenses = $535
Total Expenses per month = $1500

Job Hunting
I am 23 years old. I have a BBA in Economics and some MBA hours.
I have 5 years Management experience. I've worked in banks, retail, hospitals, consulting and logistics. I am very optimistic about finding a job in Hilo, not only because of my experience but also because I am willing to take any job I feel comfortable in. Even if I have to do a job I don't particularly like. It will only be a temporary job while I get settled.

I expect my job hunt to last at most 4 weeks.

Motive
The reason I want to move is to have a change (drastic) in my lifestyle. I am looking for a more relaxed slow paced lifestyle.

The reason I am writing all this in this forum is just to get some advice or pointers to help me decide how to move. Or advice on a way to do it cheaper or better. I also have a few questions.

How easy is it to find a Room to rent in Hilo? (so far i've seen many online, roomates.com and craigslist)

How varied is the entertainment activities available in Hilo?

Is the nightlife very active?

Do you recommend me to move to Hilo?

Thank You all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,309,099 times
Check out the Dolphin Bay Hotel: Hawaii Hotels - Dolphin Bay Hotel, Hilo, Hawaii - Big Island Hotels This will keep you near your budget for 2 nights and you can walk into downtown Hilo.

Or the Hostel at: Hawaii Youth Hostels: Hilo Bay Hawaii Youth Hostel: Big Island Hostel: Hilo Hostel: Hilo Bay Hawaii Youth Hostel & Big Island Accommodations for Hawaii Backpackers

Find the farmer's market (Saturday/Wednesday)...

Check out the bus schedule...

Come prepared with resume and references ready to go so that you don't have to scramble for copies, addresses, etc.

It's hard to predict what challenges you might face in looking for apartment and rentals, but keep in mind that there are a lot of shared living arrangements that you might be able to look into (maybe with University students) without committing to a longer term lease if you need to do that.

Good luck...!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the advice Cynmkolohe

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM

690 posts, read 2,631,896 times
Atreidi, I love to visit Hawaii but don't live there so I doubt I'd be of much help to you, but I wanted to wish you good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Hey MSJones, If you want to visit you should give it a try....

Travel from your city to San Diego by bus $70-80 and then from San Diego to Hawaii $230 if purchased in advance, then rent a room in a hostel $30-50 a night and buy a bicycle $50....

Well at least I think its easy maybe it is because I am not married or have any children or a house or monthly payments

But Hey anyone can do it

Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 26,802 times
Default Hilo Jobs Plus

Aloha...

I've lived around Hilo/Kona on-and-off for about 18 years now (actually contemplating a move to Austin!). As an College Instructor in Tourism, now working for the HI-Small Business Development Center ... just a personal cautionary. I ALWAYS had to leave for Honolulu, to get good-pay work! The "alternative" housing here is very affordable, but keeping a good job is more challenging. The economy is on a slide now (which will affect State/County tax-based employment options). That being said, you could luck-out. Check with our HI-SBDC Network office when you arrive. They may have a space open this year for a "Kona-side" Consultant. It requires the MBA...and may be competitive (plus you'll have to live over there...twice as expensive).

Also...you may want to look into Kalani Honua Retreat Center, to obtain a "work-exchange" slot. I lived there many times, when I was in-transit. It's a Yoga Center, 45 min.-1 hour from Hilo (on the ocean). Gotta be OK about;
"rave" lifestyle, gay enclave, vege meals... But it is a side of Hawai'i all but gone. Costs $300/month plus 30 hrs a week of work for a space and meals.
It's a long-term option, if you aren't getting a response to Applications. The four State jobs/consultancies I've held here...ALL took three months to get paycheck. Very slow and unbelievably bureaucratic.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM

144 posts, read 736,498 times
For the day you arrive in Hilo and move into the hotel, I would make it a rest day so you can get your bearings. After all you will have been traveling for several consecutive days by then.

Look at the apartments the next day.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 PM

203 posts, read 1,358,765 times
Hawaii county govt. has a bunch of vacancies last I checked. I think there were something like 400-480 of them, with about 70 firefighter positions and 80 police officer positions available and various other positions as well

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM

I will check on the government jobs.... I know I'm not made to be a firefighter or a police officer. I am not into that kind of jobs. But hey, You never know what might happen I might end up being a Police Officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island