Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,577 times

Advertisements

With the dream of Hawaii still ever present in my wife and me; we have been talking about just what all we would do for fun in the Big Island.

What is everybody's favorite thing to do when the work is all done and they get out of the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,605,883 times
We've only been here 2 months and spend almost every day working on the house, but here's a few ideas:

Saturday morning at the Hilo Farmer's Market
Any time at the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
Breakfast at Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo
Lunch at Crony's in Hilo
Or The Fish Hopper in Kona
A trip to the Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu

Mahalo

Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM

95 posts, read 129,996 times
Aloha ~
Here is a list of places we enjoy visiting on a regular basis. Being you are looking to set up shop in Waimea, I will leave that off the list. -

Puna District:
- Waiopae Tidepools
- Ahalanui Park
- Kaimu Beach Park - Uncle Roberts (Wednesday Night)
- Maku'u Farmers Market (Sunday)

South Hilo District:
- Onekahakaha Beach Park (or any along Kalanianaole Ave)
- Rainbow Falls
- Coconut Island & Liliuokalani Gardens
- Hilo Farmers Market
- Onomea Bay
- Kolekole State Park (lunch, and the follow Old Gov road to Kulana St out.. I just enjoy the drive)
- Pana'ewa Zoo (please leave a donation, they are wonderful people and take nice care of the animals)

North Hilo District:
- Honomu (Lunch at Woodshop Gallery Cafe and hike into Akaka Falls)

Hamakau District:
- Honoka'a (I enjoy walking through the downtown area and just looking around)
- Waipio Valley (Simply gorgeous, and with experience go down into the valley)
- Ken's in Hilo

North Kohala District:
- Hawi (Cool artistic town)

South Kohala District:
- Spencers Beach
- Mau'umae Beach
- Puako
- Lava Lava Beach Club

North Kona District:
- Kekaha Kai State Park (Kona Coast State Park)
- Manini'owali Beach
- Kaloko -Honokohau National Historic Park (fish ponds, beach, historical values - please respect the area, and don't climb or leave things on the rock walls)
- White Sands (Magic Sands Beach)
- Kahala'u Beach Park (popular with tourist for snorkeling)
- Huggos On The Rocks (our favorite in Kona)

South Kona District:
- Capt. Cook and Kealakekau Bay
- Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park (Honaunau Bay offers some nice snorkeling)

Kau District:
- Green Sands Beach
- Na'alehu (Shaka's and Punalu'u Bakery)
- Punalu'u Beach Park
- Whittington Park (I love the trees)
- Halape (Over night hike - kind of borders Kau/Puna districts)

Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM

28 posts, read 35,235 times
Thanks for posting this thread. We're moving there in about 4 months, and I'd also love to hear what the locals do for fun. I'd be especially interested in any activities that are kid friendly. Ours will be 5 and 7, so I'm looking for safe beaches without a lot of undertow or rough surf and rocks. Also looking for kid-friendly hikes that are not terribly strenuous.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,170,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey1891 View Post
Thanks for posting this thread. We're moving there in about 4 months, and I'd also love to hear what the locals do for fun. I'd be especially interested in any activities that are kid friendly. Ours will be 5 and 7, so I'm looking for safe beaches without a lot of undertow or rough surf and rocks. Also looking for kid-friendly hikes that are not terribly strenuous.

Thanks!
Do you know what area of the island you will be or are hoping to move to? This may help posters reply with information specific to those areas. Not that you won't get to explore around the whole island, but realistically, we have found that since my daughter dosen't like the 2 hour drives to go 80 miles we usually limit our recreating to within a 30-40 mile radius.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 AM

28 posts, read 35,235 times
I'm going to be on the Kona side, living in Kailua-Kona. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:29 AM

19 posts, read 14,636 times
I always want to visit Big Island of Hawaii as my friends suggested me, as it is the first largest Island of America it has some pleasant sites to see. And thank you all to share all the meaning full information about the activities that just made my trip plans more accurate.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM

101 posts, read 138,926 times
My favorite activity is chillaxin around Makalawena for a whole day while drinking Old Lahaina rum and POG.
Awful hike out after all that rum though...

Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,514,304 times
Quote:
I'd be especially interested in any activities that are kid friendly. Ours will be 5 and 7, so I'm looking for safe beaches without a lot of undertow or rough surf and rocks. Also looking for kid-friendly hikes that are not terribly strenuous. <snip> I'm going to be on the Kona side, living in Kailua-Kona. Thanks!
Keiki Pond, behind the soccer fields behind the pool is a great small, protected place for little-ish ones to swim. Also near Honokohau Harbor is generally pretty good, and Kuki'o. I found this link that tells you how to get to two of them. The beach at the old airport is also pretty decent.

We spent a lot of time at the Kona pool (free) and the park near the pool, as well as the park near Honalo, and the one in Kealakekua makai (towards the ocean) of the McDonald's.

As for hikes, we like the Pololu Valley hike in Kohala area (we did with our kids when a little younger than yours, but it's definitely a hike). It's a drive, but lots of fun places to stop, including Spencer Beach Park in Kawaihae (another great beach for keiki) and Tropical Dreams in Hawi.

We also did soccer (fall and spring), so that took up a lot of Saturday time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island