Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM

502 posts, read 985,667 times

Advertisements

A couple of tourists hiking to the vent which I hear is illegal on Big Island had to call in the Fire Rescue for assistance. At least bring a compass next time and a little extra drinking water. (know how to use the compass)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Happens all the time. Too many guide books and websites advertise the hike to Mordor. Then people go in early and never look back to prepare them how different the path will look on the way back, especially when the sun direction has changed.

Leaving no markings, one or two in their party being exhausted, no cell reception and no print outs of maps, no compass. At least they are starting to get billed for the rescues now, I heard.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
A lot of it is just that one blue guidebook. Folks end up in all sorts of places they shouldn't be because of bad advice. At least they got rescued, sometimes they never get heard from again.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:42 AM

101 posts, read 138,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A lot of it is just that one blue guidebook. Folks end up in all sorts of places they shouldn't be because of bad advice. At least they got rescued, sometimes they never get heard from again.
Ya, I wonder how many of those missing tourists end up that way because of that book.
I'll admit, i've used it to find some new things to do and see. I am however experienced and always prepared though. A LOT of the places that book takes you should not be done by anyone inexperienced or in the physical shape to do so. I've seen many people crashed out from heat just on that hike down to Cook and thats a pretty easy one. At least for myself.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
I've always been surprised at the number of books and websites that tell you, "oh, you can't drive down into Waipi'o Valley, so just walk it." Like, "oh, when you get thirsty, walk down to the corner store and buy a Coke."

I've done it when I lived there, and I'm an experienced hiker so it wasn't that big of a deal, but the average person? few of the tourist sites warn people of what a grueling, exhausting climb out it is. A hiker in average shape can handle it OK, but will sure as heck remember it for the rest of their lives. Someone in poor shape is literally putting their life at risk. I was a hiker in very good shape, and believe me, I felt it for days every time I did it. But you would never know that from reading the books and websites. I wonder how many people's vacations have been spoiled because they literally couldn't walk for a couple of days afterward.

And don't even get me started on the time I hiked 4 miles in to where the lava was flowing into the sea. somehow it must have been about 12 miles back out, or at least it sure felt that way. Damned well worth it, though.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM

101 posts, read 138,574 times
Yeah, when I see people hiking down to Cook with rented gear wearing slippas I can't help but shake my head.
Once they get out of the canopy and hit that rubble its pure hell especially coming back up. I've given people water on several occasions climbing up that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: