Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 AM

11 posts, read 34,708 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been traveling from Hilo to Kona this month to avoid the rain due to health conditions. However it's been raining in Kona nearly everyday!

I've been trying to plan ahead but I can't find an accurate online source for up to date weather forecast.

For example, I noticed that Weather dot com says it's going to rain everyday but if you check the forecast for today, it'll change to sunny (if it is sunny). It's like they assume it's going to rain everyday and then they give you an accurate forecast only for today.

What is your online source for accurate weather forecast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
I use Accuweather for the radar map, but disregard their forecast, (never right). All the sites predict rain for B. I. because they'll be right half the time.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
I would just use the local online paper.

Weather | West Hawaii Today

Alternatively, get the Hawaii News Now app and look at the radar and see if it is raining real-time

Old 09-14-2015, 01:56 PM

834 posts, read 1,219,364 times
intellicast.com Free app for phones.

Gives you various layers in real time and shows your exact location. I prefer live imagery over the local so-so predictions.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:35 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Call someone in Kailua-Kona and ask them what the weather is doing. That's what we always used to do.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 PM
b_a

20 posts, read 25,023 times
Most weather sources use the National Weather Service and try to make it their own, so I just go directly to the source. Here's Kona's forecast: National Weather Service

Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,634 times
For current (and history of weather in some cases), wunderground has multiple personal weather stations on line.
An example is below, which also displays adjacent personal stations and their current weather.

The map can show most any area by using the +- or moving the map to another location.
Click on the temp/key icon for any site and it will display details.

Kohala Waterfront Weather | Personal Weather Station: KHIKAWAI2 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground

Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 34,708 times
Wow thank you for all the insights! There are so many different sources and it's interesting to see everyone has their own methods.

I've been testing out national weather service, accuweather, and wunderground as well, it's nice to hear other folks are using them as a source. I'm downloading the apps that you guys mentioned and will check them out. I avoided the maps in the past, but it seems there's more accuracy reading the live imagery than the "hard coded" predictions.

So I went ahead and pulled the forecast for tomorrow in Kona from all the sources. I wanted to see if 1) there's a huge variance across the sources and 2) its accuracy. The forecast, surprisingly, is similar if not the same across the board. The accuracy we will not know until tomorrow when I've seen the weather in Kona myself. Wanted to share =) Thanks everyone for all your input!

Prediction for 9/16/15 Kailua-Kona, Big Island

National Weather Service: Haze then isolated showers
Accuweather: a few afternoon showers
Wunderground: cloudy with showers
Hawaii News Now: cloudy with showers
Intellicast: cloudy with showers

Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Everyone should have one of these!

Attached Thumbnails
Your online source for up to date accurate weather forecast-weather-stone-400x415.jpg  

Old 09-15-2015, 10:06 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,303,024 times
^^^^^^^^

This is the true local weather forecast. It takes a little while, just a few years really, but before long you will have no need for TV weather news and little need for online weather sites.

Those who live on a side of an island that can see other islands have a bit of an advantage judging weather as they can see what its like on the other side. For instance, leeward Maui looks at windward Lana'i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island