Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,701 times

Advertisements

My job is moving me to Kona. I accepted the job and will be moving next month. I can ship my car for 975.00, but my household goods is another thing. The company is giving me a raise and 4000.00 to move. Sure doesn't seem like much. I will be making about 60,000 grand a year and my wife will be working for the cable company. It all seems a little overwhelming, but we really want to do this. Should we sell our stuff and get new stuff when we get their and save the moving money? Not sure what to do. Need some reassurance as well. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM

71 posts, read 297,810 times
Congratulations! We are contemplating a similar move, and I have done some reseach already. Most people recommend selling most of your stuff, as people come and go quickly there and is it relatively easy to replace items cheaply through garage sales and craigslist. Also your style of furniture, decor, and clothing will most likely change once you get to the island and you will want more tropical things. It has also been recommended to ship smaller items, like books, USPS to save money. Might want to check that out if you decide to only ship a few items. We have friends on the Big Island and Maui (originally from the Chicago area) and they just love it there. Can't even get them to come back for a visit! Hoping to join them soon permanently.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM

Also wanted to mention that many recommend reading the book "So You Want To Live in Hawaii" by Toni Polancy. We have found it very helpful.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,927,179 times
Default Read ALL past messages

Also, use the search feature here a lot!

If you click "advanced search", you can limit the results to this Hawaii board, and if you put

moving to Hawaii
Moving to Kona
Moving to Big Island
Shipping a car
Shipping my stuff
etc.

in as search terms, you will get lots of advice.

Read it all, and don't be put off by the negatives. You can make it work!

Hank

Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 PM

409 posts, read 2,629,288 times
Good Luck in your move

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. We are very happy and scared at the same time.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM

649 posts, read 3,435,999 times
Very happy and scared... that about sums it up!

Good luck, and please don't forget us - report back after you've been there for a while!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Well we are leaving Sunday 9am for Kona. Will probably miss the Super Bowl unless they have tv's on the plane. Will def post when I get back. I am going to take my laptop so wireless should work. My job put us up at the Royal Kona Resort for a week. Looks like a nice place. Talk to you all soon.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Keep us posted - would love to know how the move went as well as how well you adjust to "island life."

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
Kona's VERY quiet - be sure you like limited entertainment, food, etc. etc., before you sell all your stuff. Maybe store things .... ? just a suggestion.
Where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island