Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 AM

16 posts, read 19,150 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I’m poppin my CHERRY with the first thread! Just wanted to give my respected Alohas to some of the people on here. I recently joined and have been reading a lot of this Forum, amazing resource! Such knowledgeable folks you are. A place I hope to come back to for guidance and through time I can share my insight too..

For anyone who cares for a read..

I want to buy 3-6 acres and with time slowly build up. Build up the soil, biomass and create sustainable systems with a nice cabin or two (maybe a few discrete container homes, I mean ugh Agricultural structures!" for people who have supported us $ ). Id love to have this ideal magical food forrest but it seems our only options are to buy in Orchidland or Hawaiian Acres. And building up organics there will take some time, thats for sure..

Dreams got kaput when 600yr Pele free 3.4 acre property sold off Sadilek road in jungle land WaaWaa got reduced $20k to $55k and was off the market a week later (April 15'). I still wanted it even after getting eaten alive by LFR when doing a machete crazed walk through last January. Them bastards are evil. And the potential is scary..

Fresher lava and ohia trees are where my budget takes me. I won’t spend more than $40-60K for 6 acres. I think 3 would totally suffice but if its a spaghetti lot, there will be regrets not buying adjacents… I need privacy and righteous neighbors.

Lower elevation would be ideal. All my energy will be spent on an aquaponic system from the start. Talapia will be too difficult i think in Hawaiian acres and maybe even in parts of Orchidland?

Orchidland has some issues with flooding and traffic I hear.. Did they ever put that traffic light in off Pohaku Dr. and !30?!

Hawaiian Acres just seems too far for us and far from the best of coastal Pahoa. Red Cinder road/ Pinnaple farms road, govt road. Magical but maybe not practical with the uncertainties and having to go into town for income.

Any suggestions you all may have regarding where to focus my land prospecting efforts to, I would really appreciate them.

Alohaliving is a great resource I've been monitoring.

Maybe I just gotta know someone who knows someone who knows someone selling a piece of their land.

There was a guy apparently splitting up a huge acreage into like 50- 1.5-3 acres parcels off of NONI FARMS ROAD of Hwy 132. Anyone heard of this?!

Again any insight would be awesome. Thanks for reading.

Mahalo
Jim

(I've been working in Waianae Oahu for the past 3 winters on a small aquaponic farm. Currently in Germany but the plan is to move back to Waianae- kama'aina stylie, this coming Summer. We thought about living and working in Oahu for 1-4 years and bouncing back and forth to make progressions, but still not too sure.. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 7,880,094 times
Sounds like your heart is set on lower Puna. My suggestion is to rent there for awhile and make sure it's the place for you.
There must be some acreage left in the Waa Waa area that is affordable.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,611,862 times
Check the MLS, there are 2 parcels for sale on Sadilek Rd. right now for $72K and $75K. Both are 3.44 acres. Make an offer, they may take it.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:42 AM

Ok great, i'll have a look. Ya I agree, renting for awhile and with boots on the ground making the right connections, might be more sensible than buying too prematurely or buying remotely. I know the areas fairly well, but still way too many variables to consider in making this decision. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
I've known of a few folks who bought land or a house without being here on island first that weren't able to make it because of the choice. It looked good online, but in real life, there were difficulties. Variable reasons such as too far away from supplies & employment possibilities or wrong topography, bad neighbors, etc.

I also know a few folks who would have preferred living in a different area but they hadn't been aware of that other area when they bought. Had they lived here for awhile first, they would have ended up in a much better spot than they are now. They're making a go of it, but it could have been better.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Always best to know the area. The OP seems to know the area pretty well already, just got a few names wrong. (I think you meant Papaya farm road.)

Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM

834 posts, read 1,222,617 times
The property size is too small to get a profitable farm operation going. You need to specialize into a high value food crop and build a market for it ( i.e. mushrooms, vanilla). That takes time and years of now income and only expenses. It's a widespread illusion in this area that you can work the land, build infrastructure, fight nature (LFR, lava, rat-lung worm, etc) find no-or-low-cost labor, and still be on farmers markets to magically sell all you grow. There's not enough money left for gas, health insurance, cell phone plans etc.

With some funding from parents or friends or a maxed out credit card you can prolong it a bit, but it doesn't work out number wise.

Just because others claim to do it, doesn't make it real. Many of them lie to themselves as long as it lasts, or have other sources of income ( drugs, inheritance, insurance pay-outs, illegal rentals, rich parents).

Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 7,880,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The property size is too small to get a profitable farm operation going. ).
I had the impression that the plan was to feed himself and perhaps augment another primary income. He did mention travelling to town in order to work.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:21 PM

Most people in Puna that succeed get it together to work that way. If you can, can.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM

From what I've experienced, it takes a lot of creativity and skill sets to make it work on the Big Island.. Just trying to be as realistic as possible and know it will take more time, heartache and budgeted finances to get to where my visions are. Through that permaculturist mindset, plan is to eventually be self sufficient with very little monthly expenses. And I know having those right connections will make or break us as well. I guess I need to get back out there asap and spread them good vibes, Law of Attraction! Anyways vielen dank für the feedback everyone.

ANDDD if anyone ever hears anything developing off NONI FARMS RD. off Highway 132 (a guy parceling out 50-100+ acres) plz don't hesitate to comment!

Best,
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island