Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:41 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

Actually cannibalism is not a good practice. If you eat animals too closely related to your own species, there's too many diseases which can be transmitted.

I think that's one reason why pork should be well cooked, I guess we're closer to pigs than cows and chickens. Chickens are supposed to be related to dinosaurs so they're safe to eat. We're supposed to be related to monkeys so eating them wouldn't be good, although it is done on some parts of the planet. I'm not sure how closely we are related to pigs, it doesn't seem that they're from monkeys, but they use pigs to raise some transplant organs, I think, so that would argue some sort of cellular closeness of some sort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Different places, different ways. Look how Hindu's view eating beef, Muslims and Jews regard for pork. If you haven't eaten in a week you'd eat just about anything.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 PM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually cannibalism is not a good practice.
To be clear, I was advocating NOT eating dogs, not proposing that we start eating people.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
If you haven't eaten in a week you'd eat just about anything.
True. China has suffered more than its fair share of famines, so EVERYTHING seems to be on the menu. BBQ duck uterus! Bugs on a stick! Chicken feet! I know my attitudes reflect our pampered, calorie-gorged modern American way of life, but on the other hand... that's where we live. Sort of.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestone View Post
All the arguments FOR eating dogs can be applied equally to cannibalism. It's an ancient tradition! Calories are wasted! The homeless shelter is RIGHT NEXT to the morgue! But, cannibalism (hopefully) will remain relegated to lifeboat cuisine.
Exactly!! Get registered to vote folks, the names of candidates may be difficult for some to pronounce but many of the issues in these counties are very clear cut.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM

96 posts, read 112,744 times
If people want to eat dogs, that is their business. I would guess that the type of dogs that people eat in Korea are not the family pet type. Some of the people from India are probably disgusted with what we do with cattle in the U.S. To be honest, I am a little disgusted by it.

I had my kids raise pigs as 4H projects. I thought it was a way to teach them some responsibility. I also thought it would give them an understanding and appreciation of where meat products come from. Neither of my kids will eat pork anymore. Not even bacon. I really don't have a valid argument to make with them. When you come to understand that each and every pig has its own "personality" and feelings and emotions, it changes the way you see them.

The thing that I find interesting is that the pork industry seems to want it both ways. They do not want Chipotle telling them how to raise pigs, but at the same time, they want to argue that they way they do it is really the best for the "happiness" of the pigs. Large scale pig farming typically keeps large numbers of like sized/aged pigs in large pens on elevated grates inside of buildings. They say that pigs are "happier" to be indoors because it is a comfortable temperature. The truth is that, like most businesses, the practices of a large scale pork producer are designed with efficiency in mind. I'm not saying that they don't care about the well being of the pig, I just think that efficiency is a higher priority. It has to be, it's a business. I just think it's funny that they won't be honest about it. If you raise pigs for money, that's fine. You don't have to pretend that you also care if the pigs are happy. In my experience, even a few pigs in a very large indoor pen prefer to be allowed to go outside to run and root and roll in mud and be pigs.

I guess what I am saying is that things are less complicated when food animals are viewed as what they are intended for instead of as what they actually are.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Some folks make pets out of pigs, too. And chickens, I know a lot of folks that like their chickens.

All the farm livestock I know that is going to be eaten is treated very well up until the day it's processed. It goes from well treated and healthy to food in as fast a process as possible. Lots of times folks get a pet and they keep it around even though it gets really old, is sick and can barely move. I'd expect that it's in pain, but I'm just guessing. I'm not sure which way is better.

We even take better care of the livestock than the mainland livestock before it goes off to be processed. Hawaii doesn't grow grain so there's no feedlots since it's too expensive to import grain to feed cows. Feedlots are where they keep cows in nasty small mucky lots and feed them medicated grain so they don't get sick so they put on a lot of weight and have fat marbling their flesh. The cows around here graze on grass like cows are supposed to.

Seems to me, what with the homeless and hunger problems along with the overcrowding at the humane society, putting the two together might solve two problems. They euthanize lots of pets taken to the shelter, why not let folks eat them instead? Seems to me it'd be worse to euthanize and then throw them away than to let them be used and eaten. Less waste that way. I'm sure it's totally non-PC and folks would be horrified by the idea, though.

Livestock and domesticated animals are two different things.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"Livestock and domesticated animals are two different things."

Not exactly.

"Livestock" is defined as any farm animal regarded as an asset.
"Domestic animal" is defined as any animal that is dependent on humans for survival.

Neither category is exclusive, otherwise there would be no such thing as feral animals and there would be no people eating dogs. Livestock and domesticated animals can absolutely be the same thing.

In some definitions, being a domesticated animal is a prerequisite to qualify for the term "livestock".

Last edited by terracore; 03-09-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Baked pugtato, anyone?

https://40.media.tumblr.com/1ea81e5f...a21mo1_500.jpg

Old 03-11-2016, 08:11 PM

35 posts, read 48,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Livestock and domesticated animals are two different things.
Ever been to the Island of Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island