Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 04:53 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I don't think anyone should be discouraged from going off grid and tiny anywhere in the country. What do you like about Quartzite? I haven't looked into this place.
Btw, the discouragement message doesn't appear to be "resonating" in Puna.
A friend recently told me that census data indicates 90% of homes in his Puna subdivision are unpermitted. I would not encourage anyone to avoid a building permit at this time but...safe to say most of those places are off grid.
The "Quartzite" reference is sort of a clue. I have nothing that I like about Quartzite, except it is place to gas-up on trip between L.A. and Phoenix.

I've been giving this matter some thought, and perhaps it is better they all want to move to Puna. Better there than elsewhere.

By allowing and encouraging such activity, you're only luring in even-seedier elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
The "Quartzite" reference is sort of a clue. I have nothing that I like about Quartzite, except it is place to gas-up on trip between L.A. and Phoenix.

I've been giving this matter some thought, and perhaps it is better they all want to move to Puna. Better there than elsewhere.

By allowing and encouraging such activity, you're only luring in even-seedier elements.
Oh wait. That's already happened!

Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

Better Hawaii in general, for two reasons. First, abundant sun (even in Hilo) and second because the KWH charge in Hawaii from public utility is highest in the nation, by far. Well, maybe some villages in Alaska are comparable. It's absolute bonkers not to have solar panels in Hawaii!
Seedlier elements- not sure you know what you're talking about here. Sounds a bit elitist to me. Rich people have their share of problems too.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Seedlier elements- not sure you know what you're talking about here. Sounds a bit elitist to me.
Whatever you call it, when you have an abundant number of posts of theft if you leave your home a few days, unpermitted homes (illegal), high crime, over 50% on public aid (especially in this economy - what will it be like when the economy struggles) - there becomes an element of "seedy" to it. Sounds a bit naïve to not acknowledge it as opposed to elitist. It is what it is.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:01 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Bums and petty crooks are more likely to live in lower rent areas. That says nothing about those who buy land and build tiny, off grid. I know several people who have done this and none are thieves or on welfare.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,414 times
For what's it worth...we are in orchidland off 41st...nearly all of my neighbors are off grid unpermitted, and have never had any issues with things walking off. If anyone is up to no good we get phone calls. Our Airbnb we stayed in when looking for property off ainaloa was surrounded by permitted legal on the grid houses and we wouldn't trust anything of value from disappearing. Permitted, or unpermitted. People can suck from all income brackets, and from all walks of life.

The reality about American life right now...people are struggling. Good people. Bad people. Whatever. College debt is sky high, trying to buy a home, have a family, and have a good life is becoming more and more difficult to grab onto. So, that forces people to be creative, and seek a new version of the American Dream. I know for my wife and me, trying to obtain the same quality of life our parents had where we grew up felt impossible. Hell, our parents jobs they had to put a roof and food on the table wouldn't pay for an apartment now, let alone buy a home. So, ya, we do what we gotta do. Tent it, build off grid, no permit, whatever. Gotta find happiness in this life. Call that a liberal idea, but ya. I do find it funny the same conservatives that say no permits no regulations are the same ones that say they would be pissed if their neighbor moved in and built unpermitted. Just my 2 cents for what little they are worth.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,414 times
Quote:
I was thinking more of people who don't rely on the local economy for income. Retirees, investors, teleworkers, writers etc. People in the $200K and up range - not wealthy by any means, but not shoestringers either.

To be honest, if I had just plunked down $700K or so on a residence, I would be incensed if a shoestringer wanted to come in next door and build a shack. For some unknown reason, many think the BI is just the place for that. Kind of like the guy who buys a house next door and then paints in some outrageous color.

Oh well, maybe there is no answer. Kinda like the single engine vs twin for a trawler-style yacht. The debate never ends.
Yep...that's always the question where does the line get drawn. The never ending debating between freedom and control and where one should end and another begin. One part is always true though - not in my back yard lol.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDFG View Post
Yep...that's always the question where does the line get drawn. The never ending debating between freedom and control and where one should end and another begin. One part is always true though - not in my back yard lol.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:39 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
All this pretty much sorts itself out, though. If someone is building a $700K house, generally they're not doing it in Puna so they don't have to worry about 'shoestringers' (what are those? Everyone around here wears 'slippas') building a pile of rubbish next door.

Even some of those $700K houses are off grid, the electric grid just doesn't cover all that much of this island.

The lack of a permit, though, is something that will come bite them in the okole at some point. One neighbor calls in a complaint or once the Building Department clears off the ones in the more expensive areas of this island, then they will start going after the ones in Puna. The rumor I heard was that they were starting with checking for permits on the Hamakua coast because the people there could afford to fix things if it was a problem.

Off grid is easy, there's loads of areas for off grid, even in the middle of the gridded areas. We were entirely solar and not connected to the grid and yet had a HELCO power pole in our front yard at one point. It was kinda fun turning all the lights on during power outages.

What I want to know is what constitutes 'tiny'? For folks used to living in 2,500 sq ft to 4,000 sq ft houses, does 'tiny' mean less than 1,500 sq ft?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

What I want to know is what constitutes 'tiny'? For folks used to living in 2,500 sq ft to 4,000 sq ft houses, does 'tiny' mean less than 1,500 sq ft?
For me - I consider under 1,000 sq ft tiny, under 2,000 sq ft small, and 5,000+ sq ft large
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island