Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:12 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I won't even stay in a hotel with a room that small (and they generally only have 1 bedroom) - hard to get my arms around something that small (or maybe I could if it is that small )
I agree. I had a 900sf 1BR condo in PDR, CA. It was roomy, but only accommodated 1 Bedroom, bathroom and the usuals. I can't stand tiny bedrooms.

It was largely sized because of the lay of the building and stairwells etc., there was a stack of really nice 1BR appts, and I bought one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:53 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
We just picked up a small 740 sq ft 2/1 last summer. It lacks closets (one tiny one per bedroom, one tiny hall closet and no bath closet) and I'll be building a huge storage locker in the carport. Otherwise, it's okay in a three quarter kinda way. The front lanai had been 9-1/2" below the living room floor level so it was a definite "inside" and "outside" feel because of that drop. I'm rebuilding the front lanai to bring it up to the level of the living room floor and that does a lot to increase the feel of the house being larger.

Putting a small house on a larger lot helps, too.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
My bedroom in "small" Hawaii house is actually largest bedroom I've ever had!
I've always had small bedrooms and don't get why that's a problem. Providing bed is large with a decent mattress and the room has adequate closet and dresser/shelf space then I'm good. It's for sleeping and getting dressed only.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
6 acres is very nice. I think, however, that keeping it up would be too time and effort consuming. Maybe have an orchard or orchard/vinyard.

My next return trip is scheduled for early June. Will be looking at property on dry side and surrounds.
Yes, orchard at my place. It's not too much work keeping it up, I rather enjoy it. However, half of it or so hasn't been cleared. It's thick with ohia, vivee and ferns. Lots of pigs too, unfortunately. Keeping their population in check, now that's some work.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I've always had small bedrooms and don't get why that's a problem. Providing bed is large with a decent mattress and the room has adequate closet and dresser/shelf space then I'm good. It's for sleeping and getting dressed only.
I like to relax after a long day so trying to watch a movie on a 77” TV in a small room would be problematic. My dressers, Cal King bed, furniture certainly wouldn’t fit in a small room.

With all that said, what I like most about a large bedroom - my master bedroom and bath run a tad under 1000 sq ft is the ability to have a large lanai to walk out onto or just have those large sliding glass doors to look outside during the day. After all you are in Hawaii and a tiny room diminishes your view.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, orchard at my place. It's not too much work keeping it up, I rather enjoy it. However, half of it or so hasn't been cleared. It's thick with ohia, vivee and ferns. Lots of pigs too, unfortunately. Keeping their population in check, now that's some work.
Wild/feral pigs are a huge problem. In some places, they shoot them from small helicopters, with a pilot and 1 or 2 door gunners with AR-15s with scopes. They transport the small helos on a trailer, swing ot the rotor, fire up the piston engine and fly off, land for shooters to board and off they go to the peanut fields etc. They can kill hundreds in a day.

They can be dangerous critters, so be carefull.

What kind of trees do you have?

Old 02-28-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I like to relax after a long day so trying to watch a movie on a 77” TV in a small room would be problematic. My dressers, Cal King bed, furniture certainly wouldn’t fit in a small room.

With all that said, what I like most about a large bedroom - my master bedroom and bath run a tad under 1000 sq ft is the ability to have a large lanai to walk out onto or just have those large sliding glass doors to look outside during the day. After all you are in Hawaii and a tiny room diminishes your view.
I'm with you completely on this.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Wild/feral pigs are a huge problem. In some places, they shoot them from small helicopters, with a pilot and 1 or 2 door gunners with AR-15s with scopes. They transport the small helos on a trailer, swing ot the rotor, fire up the piston engine and fly off, land for shooters to board and off they go to the peanut fields etc. They can kill hundreds in a day.

I'm all in for complete eradication! Afraid the helicopter method just wouldn't work in the dense jungles of East Hawaii though.

Trees-some of what you would expect such as avocado and citrus, along with many other less well known tropicals such mangosteen, langsat, jackfruit, abiu, etc. Varieties that thrive in moist climates with acidic soils do great in this environment, not surprisingly. Visitors from Seattle said that my citrus was the best they've ever had, and couldn't believe how juicy they were. Guess they just soak up all the rain.

It's hilarious that mention of a 77" bedroom TV has made its way into a discussion of off grid/tiny homes.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm all in for complete eradication! Afraid the helicopter method just wouldn't work in the dense jungles of East Hawaii though.

Trees-some of what you would expect such as avocado and citrus, along with many other less well known tropicals such mangosteen, langsat, jackfruit, abiu, etc. Varieties that thrive in moist climates with acidic soils do great in this environment, not surprisingly. Visitors from Seattle said that my citrus was the best they've ever had, and couldn't believe how juicy they were. Guess they just soak up all the rain.

It's hilarious that mention of a 77" bedroom TV has made its way into a discussion of off grid/tiny homes.
Sounds like you have carved out a bit of paradise.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:26 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:

There's quite a few kids around here that hunt pig as a hobby. They have some tracker dogs and a knife, they're good to hunt. They smoke the meat and it's some pretty tasty stuff.

Otherwise, folks put out pig traps. Much easier but less sporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island