Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM

857 posts, read 958,309 times

Advertisements

It seems to me local residents should never need to pay for fish. Is that the case? I am counting on doing so when I move there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:52 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
Of course they do. You really need to come here, see for yourself.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
It seems to me local residents should never need to pay for fish. Is that the case? I am counting on doing so when I move there....
We live on an island completely surrounded by water. Why would we not fish for our own food?

In my case, I have a neighbor who has a boat and is a fisherman. I let him do all the work -- he brings back the catch, cleans the fish, and sells filets very cheaply in the neighborhood.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
The question is "is it common practice" well - no. It isn't a common practice although some do it.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:35 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The question is "is it common practice" well - no. It isn't a common practice..
I agree, it is not a common practice. Nor is shore fishing very rewarding, from what I can gather.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM

yes i wanted to confirm if it is common, because i did not see too many food fish within 100 meters of shore.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
On Maui, mostly at life-guarded beaches where there are lots of snorkelers. I nearly got slapped in the face by a spear fisher's kill the other day but no worries - the fisher was protected by dragging the bleeding fish 15 feet behind himself.

The folks that fish with the big shore rods, again, at popular snorkel areas but no worries they usually only snag turtles then just cut the lines so the turtle has a nice long line to drag around and it gives the turtles some extra exercise as they try to come up for air with a huge hook stuck in them.

Also enjoy that ciguatera but I'm sure you know the difference between fish that could carry that and those that don't, right?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:13 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Shore fishing in Hawaii is a bit different than most fishing methods on the mainland, but folks catch fish from shore. Not as many as there used to be and there's also now concerns with ciguatera.

Here's a fairly definitive article on ciguatera, although it's not an easy read since it's a medical paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4244889/

There's been some test kits put out for the poison, but they don't make them anymore because they weren't accurate or some such thing.

Here's some traditional methods mentioned at the end of this page. I don't know how effective they are, though. Ciguatera Fish Poisoning (CFP)

Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
yes i wanted to confirm if it is common, because i did not see too many food fish within 100 meters of shore.
Where did you look and what do you call "food fish"? Some of those colorful fish you see snorkeling are food fish, like Uhu. People who shore fish using a pole and line on the north shore of Maui can catch ulua, a kind of jack, which can get pretty big.

Hawaiian fish that most people eat in restaurants or buy in a fish market are pelagic (ahi, aku, mahi mahi, ono, opah, ulua, etc.) and deep water bottom fish (hapu and snapper). All those are caught from boats.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Where did you look and what do you call "food fish"? Some of those colorful fish you see snorkeling are food fish, like Uhu. People who shore fish using a pole and line on the north shore of Maui can catch ulua, a kind of jack, which can get pretty big.

Hawaiian fish that most people eat in restaurants or buy in a fish market are pelagic (ahi, aku, mahi mahi, ono, opah, ulua, etc.) and deep water bottom fish (hapu and snapper). All those are caught from boats.
Hmmm... that's a good question. What is food fish? To me it was just a subconscious concept. Come to think of it, food fish to me seems grey-scale in color, meaty, maybe even plain looking or ugly, as opposed to the colorful, unusually shaped fish.

To me most fish in Finding Nemo is not a food fish. And those are what I saw most in my two near-shore dives in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: