Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoan View Post
Yeah, I liked what you said about people being deluded into thinking they are in a good place. Lala land is right. It was peculiar when I talked to people in person about the negatives and they asked me why I focused on them and that I should look at the goood things. I told them then the bad things will only get worse. Like feeling breast lump and and saying, "Isn't my hand so pretty?"

I know many people do not want to openly address the problems of the area because it is bad for business. And I think the bullying is a tell that I was right on target.
I'm surprised that the traffic, housing prices, utility costs, inadequate health care, rain, coqui frogs, and Albezia trees weren't mentioned. However, instead of complaining about the problems of the Big Island and fleeing, some folks and organizations are attempting to solve them. Compared to large urban areas like Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, the problems of the Big Island seem miniscule -- it's all a matter of perspective. One person's "paradise" can be another person's "hell."

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Well, lets see, you go to say, Texas, don't they have a slight drug problem there as well? Rattlesnakes, tarantulas, black widows, scorpions, perhaps a mosquito or two, the occaisional tornado, sometimes some flooding. Weren't two guys recently executed for dragging a Black man behind their pickup truck until he was dead???? Weren't those two guys white???????? Oh yea, Hawaii really sucks big time, I'm heading for Texas!!!!!!!

Actually, the horrible incident of a black man being drug behind a truck driven by some white guys happened in 1998, almost 10 years ago, in a small town, Jasper. It was a true horror, whites as well as blacks were appalled and disgusted by the incident. I do believe the white guys are on death row now. Please don't judge an entire state by such an incident. And yes, there's snakes, tarantulas (I've killed more than a few in my garage), tornados, but all-in-all its a pretty normal place to live, we're not overrun with vermin, hiding in our tornado shelters, running from black widows, unfortunately racisim is here like any other state, but I actualy find racisim tobe less than when I lived up North.

guess every state has its drawbacks, but Texas has a lot going for it. You really need to visit a state before you judge it. We've been to Hawaii, all I can say is "great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoan View Post
The lack of care to buildings and roads. Hilo and ahoa are run down and dirty.

Staph infections are a huge problem here, including the MRSA strain.
Hawaii Leads Nation in Deadly Staph Infections

The mosquitoes.

But I think it is that many come out here thinking it is paradise (and we all know if you want to ruin a place just call it "paradise") then they find it sucks and they transfer that negative energy to you.

And I think the volcano is about to let forth, but that is just my opinion.

So, think hard about living here. Pele will kick yer butt in a minute.
I have to disagree with you on the quality of the roads. I noticed that in Hilo and just about all the main highways, the roads all seemed perfectly paved. Quite a feat since Hilo is the wettest town in the nation.

Staph infections - They're everywhere, not just on the Big Island. I don't know why this is so upsetting to you in particular. Did you get one?

The mosquitos - I don't like them either. I have found that the farther upcountry you live the less they show up. Can't help it tho. This is Hawaii and this is the tropics. We are guests in the land of mosquitos.

The volcano is indeed letting forth and will continue to for ages to come. It's humbling really. Pele will have her say and when she does, she always wins.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default Another Day...

Aloha Kakahiaka,
I am truly appreciative of this thread. It is a reminder of all the good and the bad of the Islands. Not just the BI.

My family spends alot of time on the weekends talking about the different aspects of the Islands. The 'dos and don'ts'. The 'what if's'. Lots of worries about the move. I think this is all natural.

Lets see...Frogs, Centipedes, Spiders, Rain, Lava, Tourists, Traffic, Bad Roads, Bad Schools, Bad Neighbors, Bad attitudes, Gangs, Haole Hate, Gas Prices, Rent Prices, will we be able to afford to buy a home, Health Care, Jobs.... yada yada yada...*** *** ***... from this list, I can't find a single thing different from the worries and woes we have now, living in Seattle. or that we had in San Diego. Or in Ft Lauderdale.

Well, maybe except for the lava. Give or take a few earthquakes and/or Hurricanes now and again.

It's the same old song and dance everywhere. But, it's good to talk about it don't you think? Remembering the warmth and the sunshine and the year-round gardening. The flowers.

The excitement of starting over, together. Still deeply in love after 18 years of trials and tribulations and Corporate BS. Rich or poor it makes no difference. The anticipation of having our new home blessed, whether it be a studio or a 1 bedroom apt and sharing our first BBQ w/our new neighbors. Learning to make poi. Watching the awe when teaching my S/O to string the first lei of a lifetime. What? What? What?

I have only one prayer each day... 'Don't spit me out, Pele, don't spit me out'.

A hui hou.
Koale

Last edited by Koale; 03-03-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: bad format

Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html
Moderator cut: See CD Forum rules!

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
This thread has deteriorated to the point of not being friendly or helpful to others.
Closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island