Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the LGBT population of Puna soar. Considering the recent election results, if I were part of the LGBT community, black, Mexican or Muslim, I'd be heading to the hills and Puna is about as far away from things as possible. Was the Orbitz blog done before the election?
I doubt that Puna's LGBT population will "soar"…
Gay Big Island father says he and two sons are victims of hate crimes - Hawaii News Now
Openly gay Puna father’s home, car vandalized -- Hawaii Tribune Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 451,251 times
Not saying it happened in this case but often the "victim" of discrimination is actually a professional victim and any vandalism is caused by themselves to garner sympathy.

I don't know about you guys, but calling someone "gay" or a "f****t" is probably the most common slur in middle school. I mean, who has not been called gay at one time or other?

Old 11-12-2016, 11:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
Stories like that actually make their communities grow larger and stronger. LGBT's congregate and build communities where they feel safe and can live openly without the onslaught of hate and bigotry they may face in other communities that don't accept them.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Earlier this year city of Honolulu paid $80,000 to a lesbian tourist couple who were wrongly arrested by an HPD cop for showing PDA in a grocery store. It's not just in Puna. This vandalism was likely perpetrated by teenagers, probably going through their own angst about their own sexuality.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:19 PM

311 posts, read 451,251 times
They showed their personal digital assistant and got arrested? Wow.

The teenager scenario is pretty likely.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Stories like that actually make their communities grow larger and stronger. LGBT's congregate and build communities where they feel safe and can live openly without the onslaught of hate and bigotry they may face in other communities that don't accept them.
Unfortunately, some of the anti-LGBT hate and bigotry is "homegrown" in Hawaiʻi and exported to other places…
Ex-Hilo woman gets life for killing son, 4, in Oregon | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Oregon mom found guilty of murdering son she thought was gay - NY Daily News

In the past, folks here were pretty accepting of LGBT folks; however, things appear to have changed…
Mahu Demonstrate Hawaii's Shifting LGBT Attitudes | Al Jazeera America

Old 11-12-2016, 07:09 PM

The first link is more about insanity than anything else. She is completely "lolo", and sometimes you can't fix crazy. I noticed her and the boyfriend both got prison, I'm sure they are "popular" in stir. As to the second one, ah yes, "Good Christians". What would we do without them? I know Hawaiians who still treat their Mahu children in the old way, accepting them and accepting their partners as Hanai.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 11-12-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
We're talking about a place where nearly half the residents voted for Donald Trump! Has anyone ever spent much time in Puna? While for sure there are pockets of liberalism, I never felt comfortable out there. There are a lot of people that border on anti social who moved there just to be left alone.

The internet has no connection w/ reality whatsoever, that's the message I keep getting these days.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:40 AM

Half the residents of PAHOA voted for Trump, not half of Puna. That's less than 500.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We're talking about a place where nearly half the residents voted for Donald Trump! Has anyone ever spent much time in Puna? While for sure there are pockets of liberalism, I never felt comfortable out there. There are a lot of people that border on anti social who moved there just to be left alone.

The internet has no connection w/ reality whatsoever, that's the message I keep getting these days.
The internet "rumor" that nearly half the residents of Puna and/or Pāhoa voted for Donald Trump is completely false.

The "nearly half" number was only for "Precinct 03-03," which was a "pocket precinct" for Pāhoa that was "mail-in only." "Precinct 03-03" had 201 registered voters and only 45.8% (or 89 voters) bothered to return their ballots. Of those 89 voters, 41.6% (or 37 voters) voted for Trump. Thus, of the 201 registered voters in "Precinct 03-03," only 18.4% voted for Trump. Here's a link to the official data from the State of Hawaiʻi Office of Elections…
http://elections.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...s/precinct.pdf

As for the Puna district as a whole, only around 13,400 of its 24,400 registered voters bothered the vote in the last election. Of that 13,400 that voted, around 3,500 voted for Trump.

As for the folks in Puna that "border on the anti-social and want to be left alone," some of them are probably among the folks that aren't registered to vote or are among the registered voters that didn't bother with voting in the last election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island