Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 AM

186 posts, read 345,324 times

Advertisements

A composting toilet is not cheap, and you said you have a limited budget. How is an unpermitted cabin going to "pay for itself"? Are you going to rent out jungle shacks or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
Section 5-26. Package homes.

In lieu of compliance with those provisions of section 5-25 pertaining to dwellings, model package homes (homes manufactured in a factory and ready to be assembled on the job site)may be pre-approved as follows by the Hawai‘i County Department of Public Works-Building Division (DPW-Building Division).
(2012, Ord. No. 12-27, sec. 2.)
This is where you would need to investigate further. When I looked into it and got an informational pdf from Honsador it included prices for each house and what was/was not included, plus a bunch of other helpful information. The model homes from Honsador, (and likely HPM and others) are not pre-built in a factory (manufactured homes) and ready to assemble. They have pre-approved blueprints (that still need an engineers stamp) and they supply the exact number of windows, doors and rough lumber to build to the plan. The lumber is not pre-cut and ready to assemble. These places are lumber yards that supply plans, materials lists, raw lumber and other materials (ie - windows and metal roofing that needs to be cut to fit). So if your plan requires 150 2x4x8 to frame the house, they drop off 150 of them and you put it together, cutting as needed for window openings, door framing etc...

By strict definition manufactured homes have a chassis attached and are also known as Mobile homes. Homes largely prebuilt in a factory are Modular homes. The packages from the lumber yards on the Big Island don't meet either of these criteria. So how literal is the DPW? Are the package homes covered under this language? I don't know. Hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 AM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Just a couple pages from the pdf...
Attached Thumbnails
Building an off grid tiny house on the Hilo side of Hawaii, Advice needed-img_7994.jpg   Building an off grid tiny house on the Hilo side of Hawaii, Advice needed-img_7993.jpg  

Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM

186 posts, read 345,324 times
I did find a home package which is built in the factory, but they are from Maui. Very affordable, cheaper than those "tiny houses" you see. I think that trend is waaaay over priced. It would be cheaper in material cost to get the factory built home, have a more finished and good looking product, and you could easily obtain a permit for that. Not sure what's available on the BI, but this one is not on any chassis. They literally plop it onto your foundation. I'm still researching the cost to ship it, but there is no way it wouldn't be worth it for us. The homes are pretty nice, but I will make it nicer. If you're looking for a beach house or vacation home, this is the way to go IMO, and you don't need to deal with an engineer or architect.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
You'll still need an architect's or engineer's stamp on the plans, but that may be provided as part of their package. Who are the folks on Maui? There used to be a manufactured home place in Hilo, but that was back in the 60's, I think. I knew someone who worked there, but never saw it in business so the exact details are hazy.

Inter-island barge isn't all that expensive, at least, if you're shipping mixed freight. Not sure how much to ship the whole house, but it would be less expensive than from the mainland.

Hmm, I looked at a couple of them online and they have very short eaves. That'd be a deal breaker for me, I consider 3' a 'minimum' eave width, not a maximum. It makes a huge difference when you're living in the house if the sun isn't shining on the sides of the house. Plus houses with no eaves just look really weird, IMHO. In any case, we have some access issues with getting large things to the site, so getting a house in there even if it's half at a time would probably be problematical. We'll stick build a bit at a time as we get the money for the materials. Saves ever so much bother of paying off a mortgage.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 AM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hmm, I looked at a couple of them online and they have very short eaves. That'd be a deal breaker for me, I consider 3' a 'minimum' eave width, not a maximum. It makes a huge difference when you're living in the house if the sun isn't shining on the sides of the house. Plus houses with no eaves just look really weird, IMHO.

On a house with small eaves you can construct a type of curtain wall just inches outside the real wall. This wall would be open at the bottom and vented into the attic at the top (the attic would be vented to outside via gable vents or ridge vents). This way your actual walls are always shaded and cool. To shade the windows would require awnings of some sort. I realize that this style is probably unusual in Hawaii but not in Florida.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:17 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
That sounds like an interesting method of keeping walls cool, but since this will be new construction, I'm gonna opt for 3' roof overhangs. Less expensive than double thick walls and allows for a less rainy walk place.

There's probably a lot of Florida and deep South construction methods which may be of use in Hawaii, I'll have to start looking for them.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
On a house with small eaves you can construct a type of curtain wall just inches outside the real wall. This wall would be open at the bottom and vented into the attic at the top (the attic would be vented to outside via gable vents or ridge vents). This way your actual walls are always shaded and cool. To shade the windows would require awnings of some sort. I realize that this style is probably unusual in Hawaii but not in Florida.
Given the cost of materials in Hawaii, Catz, as usual, is correct. Much less expensive to add a few feet to the overhang than build an additional wall around the building. Just getting windows and doors to properly interface with that would be a major pain in the okole.

Uuurrrpppp,,, scuze me

Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
I doubt that it would be more expensive than extended overhangs. Basically you put your house wrap on, then stud out for your curtain wall and put siding on as normal. Voila - a double wall.

The larger overhang does have other advantages which you are well acquainted with. The double wall is just another thing to keep in your bag of tricks.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
Since we are discussing off-grid houses, has anyone looked into the Tesla Powerwall and solar roof?

Check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfwDyiPTdU . Looks interesting if cost is reasonable (and "reasonable" can be a very personal thing).

The solar roof options look great, but again cost may be prohibitive.

NOTE: There are also Youtube videos on buiding your own DIY version of the Powerwall. Seems to be pretty straight forward technology.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: