Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:03 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times

Advertisements

Aloha!
So it's done! we've purchased land on the big island about a year ago and now we plan to move in another year to begin the build on our tiny house. The reason I am here is I need some advice from those who have built their own home. We plan on building very minimal and we are doing this un-permitted (yes we know the risks). The floor plan that I came up with is an 18x32 layout with a 18x24 main living area with a 8x18 lanai, along with a 9x18 loft above the lanai area. I have drawn up some plans and I'm pretty familiar with framing as I've helped my uncle in the past. But any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Would it be cheaper and easier to build on concrete? One thing that I need some help on is the roof. How does one go about building a sloped roof that is over 30 feet? (photo attached)

I could also use some advice on where on the Hilo side to find some of the following;

-Who can you recommend to clear part of an acre of land? I want to find someone to clear a driveway and an area to build my home. I want to find someone that is going to do an awesome job and not charge an arm and a leg.

-Where is the best place to buy lumber and and other building supplies for at the best rate?

-Where is the best place to shop for off grid solar equipment?

- For the first few weeks while building, we will occasionally drive over to the Kona side to shower with family and friends. However, while building on the Hilo side and not being able to afford to go to a hotel every time, where is the best place to find a public shower? (we hope to have some kind of catchment system up relatively fast)

-What is recommended for off-grid internet providers?

Please, do not reply with any negative comments. I am here to get some friendly advice. This is a move that some of you may already know that we have been planning for a few years now. We are determined to make this happen. Please let me know how you would go about this build and what materials you would use. How would you frame it? what are the best materials for your money? I really look forward to hearing all your input. I have attached some pictures of what I plan on building. Let me know what you think. Also, any other advice on living off grid and being self sustainable and living off the land would be greatly accepted.

Mahalo!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by hjmontijo; 01-16-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 05:33 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Friendly advice, get a permit.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Doesn't look like much roof overhang on either end. I recommend a lot of it on all 4 sides, especially on the windward side.

Overlapping roof panels will work fine, provided you put the high end panel over the bottom, not under.

Can't comment on how to run joists that long, since it's not clear to me how they're supported.

I would imagine that what ever the code is for sizing these, it's gross overkill. Strong enough for you to walk up there, and hold your panels, is good enough.

You could buy a couple of those solar showers and fill them up at the county taps. There used to be a public shower at the Mountain View gym, if you're near there, but that was years ago.

Dunno about the rest. Let us know what you find out. I would probably look for land clearing advertised from someone in your area, where ever that may be. Some folks post up signs near the subdivision entrances for services offered.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 PM

97 posts, read 138,795 times
I second the part about overhangs - you will want them extended enough so that you can still keep your windows open in the rain (I assume you will not have A/C). This keeps the breezes moving through the house while keeping out the rain.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:32 PM

128 posts, read 264,675 times
I thought about getting a permit, however, with the cost to get plans drawn up and stamped and all the other fees involved, and having to hire out for electrical and plumbing, it was going to be too expensive. I am working with a tight budget and want to make sure that I can complete my project without having to take out a loan or borrow any money. I believe the cost of building un-permitted would pay for itself in less than a year. Additionally, I plan to start off with a composting toilet and I am not sure what the rules and regulations are on those and I am sure the permitting process can get pretty tricky in that situation.

Again, Thank you all for the advice. Keep em comin'

Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,911 times
What subdivision did you buy land in? I am also doing the same thing but I have not bought the land yet and want to know which areas are strict or not on unpermitted structures?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
I thought about getting a permit, however, with the cost to get plans drawn up and stamped and all the other fees involved, and having to hire out for electrical and plumbing, it was going to be too expensive. I am working with a tight budget and want to make sure that I can complete my project without having to take out a loan or borrow any money. I believe the cost of building un-permitted would pay for itself in less than a year. Additionally, I plan to start off with a composting toilet and I am not sure what the rules and regulations are on those and I am sure the permitting process can get pretty tricky in that situation.

Again, Thank you all for the advice. Keep em comin'
no thanks. Why would any hi resident help a fool and newcomer to add to the oversupply of unpermitted housing on the islands? Seriously what is wrong with you? And tweez, blind cleric, why would you help someone like this?

Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
no thanks. Why would any hi resident help a fool and newcomer to add to the oversupply of unpermitted housing on the islands? Seriously what is wrong with you? And tweez, blind cleric, why would you help someone like this?
Oversupply? Are you a frustrated Island realtor, unable to sell from the large inventory of unpermitted dwellings?

I see an over abundance of very expensive homes in Hawaii, not affordable ones, and don't have a problem with his approach, provided his eyes are wide open to the drawbacks and has plans to deal with his waste in a sanitary fashion.

SavvyO, There is no particular subdivision that is guaranteed to be "friendly" towards non permitted structures. All it takes is someone, for any reason whatsoever, to turn you in and your goose is cooked. That's why posters in these forums always recommend getting a permit.

Of course, common sense would suggest that the more expensive a neighborhood is, the more likely it is to be populated with nervous, disapproving residents.

Hjmontijo, Use treated wood! Termites are not to be trifled with.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:12 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Is the person who drew up your plans from Hawaii? I'd guess not from the looks of the building. Have they built houses before? Actual gone out there and slogged boards around type building of houses? Especially houses in Hawaii. Find someone who has done that and you'll end up with a better and cheaper structure.

There is a serious lack of storage as well as no where near wide enough eaves. Your stairway doesn't look like it's to code as far as steepness of stairway. Which means it's not going to be a comfortable stair to use. You've got basically an ugly and hard to live in structure which is going to mean someone will turn you into the building department pretty soon for an unpermitted structure. The County doesn't go out looking for unpermitted structures, but all it takes is one complaint from anybody and then you get to go get a permit after it's built which can cost tons more depending on if the structure was built to code or not.

Roof framing is a bit odd on that design, there's probably a beam across the center somewhere or a post in the center somewhere. In any case, that's a long span either direction to not have a truss type roof. When framing a flat roof, you need larger lumber for the same span that could be done with much smaller boards on a truss type roof.

Have you built a house before?

Have you noticed the structure is framed with 9' long boards? Have you ever gone to the store to buy a 9' long 2" x 12"? They don't make them in 9 foot lengths, you get to buy a ten foot board and cut one foot off of it. So why are you cutting a foot off of all your floor joists instead of having a 20' wide structure?

Old 01-21-2017, 11:14 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
Would it be cheaper and easier to build on concrete?
Slab construction is a bit more expensive. There is a lot of site prep and you will need to have a very solid road/driveway to the building site for the cement truck. If they get stuck in the mud they will drop the cement right there and get the hell out of there. Of course if you are going to have a cement truck pour your footings you will be faced with the same thing. Slab floors also allow centipedes to get in the house. But with slab you don't have to worry about termites.

Quote:
One thing that I need some help on is the roof. How does one go about building a sloped roof that is over 30 feet? (photo attached)
Now I see why you don't want a permit.

You don't have any interior load bearing walls that span the width so you would have to either have massive rafters or put in a couple 18' beams to support shorter rafters. The load of those beams will have to be born all the way down to the foundation. You will need to modify your plans accordingly.

You will likely need a crane to assemble this thing.

Quote:
-Who can you recommend to clear part of an acre of land? I want to find someone to clear a driveway and an area to build my home. I want to find someone that is going to do an awesome job and not charge an arm and a leg.
Craigslist? If you have uncleared land, you will likely need an excavator. Going rate here on Maui is $150/hour for a medium sized one that can uproot small trees. I just got done with a driveway and building site prep with an excavator and several loads of pressure-waste fill (for the foundation) and it costs me about $8k for that. Drainage will be important for you on the wet side so don't forget that.

Clearing land generates a lot of green waste. It can be ugly. I hope you have a place to put it. It gets expensive to haul away.

Quote:
-Where is the best place to shop for off grid solar equipment?
I just got a quote from these guys:

Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar

They are cheap but the shipping charges are a lot, as you would expect. Batteries are the killer due to the weight. You might be better off working with a local contractor who has access to Power Wall battery (from Tesla). It will cost more than lead-acid battery but will last longer and cost less over the long run, and you won't have to pay huge shipping charges. But they might not do it without a permit. I would at least call and talk to them. Try Haleakala Solar. They are on the BI.

Quote:
Please let me know how you would go about this build and what materials you would use. How would you frame it?
You did not show a plot-plan, but think of the orientation of the building. Trade winds are from the east so that is where the rain will be coming at the building from. So ideally you would have the front of it facing west. Does that work on your land?

I assume your PV panels will go on your roof. Your roof will be oriented with slope towards the east but the solar panels should slope towards the south. You can tilt them up to do that but you need to get frames that will do that.

A cheap but weather resistant exterior wall is HardiePanel. It is best if there is plywood sheathing under it but you can nail it right to the studs.

Even if you are not getting a permit you might want to have an architect check your plans. Remember that Hawaii gets hurricanes and the last thing you want is your building to collapse or have the roof torn off.

As to the roof - roof trusses are pretty cheap and they will deliver them with a crane-truck that will put them on top of the walls. It might be easier/cheaper for you to have a more standard roof with trusses, but you would have to re-design your building.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: