Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 809 times

Advertisements

Aloha..
I am a teacher and currently on a study sabbatical for 2017. We will move to Hilo, or that area for 3 months (or possibly another part of BI). June-August.
Myself and wife, and 2 kids 11 and 12
We are a mix of Fijian, Niuean, kiwi, so Pacific peeps

Our priorities are:
Judo for 2 kids
Island food, either I can get or cheap
Sea, by the sea and kids sport
a house for us that is not too expensive
Possibly access to a library so I can study and kids can

So what do you think?
What about crime, places to keep away from, in the place we deside to live in for 3 months
We'd like to be active in Hawaian or Island styles community.

We did want to go for 6-8 months, and kids go to school, but we have looked into this a bit, and possibly 3 months is our best shot, and have come to terms with, that our kids probably cant go to school in the states, since we are not from Hawaii.

Thanks for any ideas and discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 AM

311 posts, read 452,076 times
If illegal aliens can go to school for free, I don't see why your kids couldn't. Actually, I believe it is illegal to discriminate against them.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 AM

311 posts, read 452,076 times
Just re-read your post about your timeframe. Skools are generally out for summer break from early June to mid or end of August. Your kids would not miss much. You could probably get them into a summer school program if you really, really want it. I say, let them be kids and enjoy their holiday.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
There are school/public libraries in Pahoa, Kea'au, and Mountain View (probably also on the Hamakua Coast, I'm not familiar there). But the best library is in Hilo.

Visitors can get a temporary library card for a small fee ($10 last I checked). If you have proof of residence, like a lease, the card is free.

Books from all over the state system can be requested online and shipped to any library for free. There are also ebooks available for download.

Hilo or nearby would probably be your best bet to be close to beaches, restaurants, and community events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: