Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,420 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving back home ( HI) after too many years of the Mainland. Estimating the move to be around April 2018
As you can see from my title , I've got a full plate to move. Didn't mention my 80 year old mother too.
So, I'm getting rid of all of MY furniture before I go, but she has her bedroom set, her grandfather clock, and her favorite chair that she wants to take.
Thank Dog for Costco on BI now! 😄
We have three little dogs, and I am transporting a compact car.
I think I've got a good handle on what we need to do for the dogs quarantine wise ( according to the State of HI links )
But my questions have to do with other practical matters.

1. Long term rentals that allow dogs. ( lol, I know, I know... but if anyone knows a property manager or realtor who has inside info, that would be wonderful!) I might have a place, but nothing is a sure thing until papers are signed.

2. Getting dogs to BI. What airlines allow cabin transport for little dogs? ( all under 20 pounds .)
Two of them are a bit older so I don't want to have them stressed away from me. Do we still have to fly to HNL First then transfer to BI after quarantine papers are okd?

3. Any recommendations for moving companies/ freight ? I have seen a couple people in the forums talk about Aloha Freight.

4. Last But not least.. mahalo for any info, suggestions, advice, comments, complaints!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 02:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteklektrika View Post

4. Last But not least.. mahalo for any info, suggestions, advice, comments, complaints!
Wait until you no longer need to move Mom

Old 04-16-2017, 02:51 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Wait until you no longer need to move Mom
I have to agree. 80 years old is not a good time to be moving TO the Big Island. She may be in good health now, but she is aging and may have more health issues come up. We are with Kaiser, and they handle the simple things here, but for anything serious we either go to Honolulu or the mainland. I don't know where on the BI you are thinking of moving to, but VOG has become a real problem for many, even in (or especially in) the Kailua-Kona area. Most people who move back to the mainland in my neighborhood is because they are older and need health care that they can't get here.

Regarding handling your move, I've heard the Kona Car Guys are good. They do more than just move cars.

There have been lots of discussions on this forum about flying dogs to Hawaii. Do you know how to do a forum search?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
As far as I know, no dogs in the cabin to Hawaii. Someone mentioned theirs was a comfort dog and would therefore be allowed, I'm not sure how that's gonna go for them, although that probably wouldn't work with three. Folks like Alaska Air for dogs, but they say only one dog is allowed per flight. Again, that's not gonna work with three. I don't think they will allow more than one dog per kennel, either. Easiest for the dogs would be to get their shipping kennels now and let each dog get used to their kennel. Maybe they'd like to sleep in them at night or keep their toys in them or something, but once it smells like themselves, it will be a comfortable safe place for them while they travel. Dogs like dens so it goes along with their natures.

You can now fly directly to Hawaii Island and get the dogs released there. I think a vet has to meet them off the plane and check them in, but now you don't need to go to Honolulu first. All other livestock still has to fly through Honolulu, I think. It's probably somewhere on the dog importation page.

Cruise ships have a 'relocation' trip where you can go one way on them. There's one in the fall where they are relocating the ships on northern itineraries to the warmer southern ones. You could look into maybe taking your dogs with you on a cruise ship? It's a long shot, though, on that one. I don't know if they allow dogs, either, but I've seen little grass areas at the back deck that are there for dogs to use.

Very few long term rentals will explicitly state that they will allow dogs. Generally, from what I've seen, they say no pets and then when they find their perfect tenant has a dog, then allow the dog as well. Since yours are small dogs, that's a plus. One of our tenants has a large dog and a small dog and they say the small dog is an outside dog only, but we're not looking closely and they're not ever late on their rent so it's all good. Our other tenant has a big dog and a goat, fortunately the goat at least stays outside. He's never late on rent, either, finding a rental which would allow a goat is a bit tougher, I'd expect.

You could look for a freight consolidator to see if you could add your things to an existing shipment. It doesn't sound like you have enough for a container.

As an RN, will you still be working? If so, and if you know where you'll be working, then could you ask them if they have rentals for nurses?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM

1. Mom is in excellent health and will probably outlive me. I'm not concerned about her age. She wants to move back to HI very much. Yes, I know in detail about the health care challenges, but I plan to be part of the solution.

2. Thanks for the airline info. I've also heard of private jets that you can bring your dogs as a regular passenger .Was hoping someone had specific info on that.

3. Good to know about the ability to go directly to BI with dogs. Less stress.

4. Will look into Kona Car guys.

5. Already have a job I travel to Hawaii for. I'm a nurse educator for people who have immune system disorders and diseases. Company will be expanding my role when I get settled .

6. Mahalo for the great replies! If anyone has any other info or suggestions please add them 

Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Oops.. forgot to mention am looking for a place to live primarily in Honoka'a area. Or North/South Kohala areas.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
I almost moved my small dog to the BI last year, but in the end it didn't work out and she didn't make the trip, though I did make the plane reservation for her. Alaska Airlines does allow small dogs in the cabin arriving into KOA. They are the only airline that I know of that will do this. They can clear quarantine at KOA as well. You will have to arrange for the vet to meet the plane and they will only meet planes during business hours. There is a limit on the number of dogs that can be in the cabin on each flight.

I have a realtor friend who has recently been renting a place for herself and her dog in the area you are looking for. If you are still looking, I can PM you her info.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 PM

70 posts, read 98,723 times
Alaska allows up to 5 dogs in the coach cabin, and 1 in first class.

From their website: "A customer may travel with a maximum of 2 pet carriers in the main cabin, only when the adjacent seat is purchased by the same customer. Up to 2 pets of the same species and similar size may travel in the same carrier, provided no body parts protrude from the carrier and the animals are not in distress."

So if you want all 3 in the cabin, you'd either have to purchase an extra seat, or fit 2 of the dogs into one carrier. That seems like a tight squeeze unless they are yorkies or tiny chihuahuas.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteklektrika View Post

2. Thanks for the airline info. I've also heard of private jets that you can bring your dogs as a regular passenger .Was hoping someone had specific info on that.
There are a lot of private charters you can take with your dogs from the west coast. Generally, they will run $30,000+ each way from the west coast (includes you, dogs, and some friends) - but even if you and your friends splurge $10,000+ each person to get to Hawaii - if the charter company can't find anyone to fly out of Hawaii, you'll pay for that plane to go back empty.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 AM

70 posts, read 98,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There are a lot of private charters you can take with your dogs from the west coast.
Can you even bring your dogs on these? I thought they required that animals must come via commercial carrier. Just curious, I'm guessing the OP does not want to spend $30,000 to $60,000 for transport to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island