Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

My husband and I are moving to the Big Island end of July. We are moving because of a job opportunity that I am very excited about. I am going to work as a high school counselor about 20 minutes from Kailua-Kona. My husband is an aerospace engineer and will be working remote.

I have been on this forum countless hours within the past week researching the best options for us regarding housing, what areas would be a good fit for us, etc. and have come to the conclusion that it would be best to work with a real estate agent.

Does anyone have any real estate agent recommendations that are responsive and willing to work with us on our search? Here is some background info on what we are looking for.

I am very aware of the challenges that come with bringing a dog to the island. I have read people on this forum advising others to leave their dog on the mainland. My husband and I personally cannot do this permanently and this is not an option for us. We are temporarily leaving our small dog (18lbs) with our parents until December, 2017 and will be bringing him with us to the BI then.

We are looking for a real estate agent that can advise us on the following:
1. Help us in finding a rental that allows dogs. We would be willing to pay an additional monthly fee for our pup. We will put a pet deposit down. As long as it is within our financial means to do so, we will do it.
2. If this is not possible, advise us on finding properties that are month to month and do not allow dogs. This will give us some time to figure out our options when our dog comes and joins us in December.
3. Help us look into the possibility of buying a house/condo. We do not want to do this until we have lived on the island for at least six months and are more aware of the market on the island, however if we feel this is a good fit for us and we can have our small dog with us, we are considering it.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations. I have seen a lot of real estate agents contact information online which has been overwhelming and thought it would be wise to get some recommendations from this forum. Any additional advice is appreciated. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Try Harry Pritikin at Koa Realty. He's been in business for many years.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM

181 posts, read 175,902 times
Shannon Underwood at Hawaii Coast Realty. She is helping us with our home search as we make the move to the BI and so far I have been very happy with her. Her number is 808-929-7063. Tell her Andy Madrid sent you. Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecammster View Post
<SNIP>We are looking for a real estate agent that can advise us on the following:
1. Help us in finding a rental that allows dogs. We would be willing to pay an additional monthly fee for our pup. We will put a pet deposit down. As long as it is within our financial means to do so, we will do it.
2. If this is not possible, advise us on finding properties that are month to month and do not allow dogs. This will give us some time to figure out our options when our dog comes and joins us in December.
3. Help us look into the possibility of buying a house/condo. We do not want to do this until we have lived on the island for at least six months and are more aware of the market on the island, however if we feel this is a good fit for us and we can have our small dog with us, we are considering it.<SNIP>
Even a real estate agent will have some difficulties fulfilling your requests.
1. I don't think Hawaii law allows for any extra deposits other than first and last. Although, I could be wrong, I didn't look it up.
2. Due to the tax differences between a 'short term' (vacation rental) and 'long term' rental, most properties that are going to have an attractive rental price are most likely going to be a long term rental. I'm not exactly sure what the specific time frame between 'short term' and 'long term' are, but I suspect it's more than a month for long term.
3. I'm sure this will be the most attractive option for the real estate folks.

Since it's just one small dog, you may not have all that many problems finding a place. Everyone is going to say 'no pets' so when someone with a huge pet shows up, they'll be able to say 'no', but if it's just one small dog that is hopefully well behaved, then the landlord may waive the 'no pets' rule.

What with the 120 day paperwork process and all, it's going to be awhile before you'll be bringing the little dog over, so you could mention it to your prospective landlord that you'd not have a dog until after Christmas. With a six month rental starting in July, there'd only be a several week overlap with the dog until your lease ran out. After meeting your dog, then the landlord could hopefully renew your lease but he'd have the option of not renewing it if the dog was a problem. Kinda a built in short test time to see if it would work.

If you just flat out ask if they accept pets, most landlords are going to tell you 'no'. But, if you tell them that you don't have any pets now and it won't be until late December that your little dog will arrive and show them a picture of how small the dog is, then you may be able to talk a landlord into renting to you.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 AM

52 posts, read 46,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
Shannon Underwood at Hawaii Coast Realty. She is helping us with our home search as we make the move to the BI and so far I have been very happy with her. Her number is 808-929-7063. Tell her Andy Madrid sent you. Best of luck!
Hi Amadrid,

What side of the island are you looking to locate to?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM

181 posts, read 175,902 times
We are considering several places. Probably the south east area in and around the Puna area. We might go as far west as Hawaii ocean view estates (HOVE) but I prefer the Weather side where it's a little bit more Greene. Shannon is based out of Kona.… Full disclosure, I am a real estate agent as well in Southern California but I'm relocating to the big Island and I will build my business there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island