Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:25 AM

857 posts, read 960,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
What were your thoughts about the condo in Hilo ... even though it's your 3rd choice ?

We all have different ideas on how to live. But if it were me, and only looking for a place to occasionally visit for awhile each year, I'd choose theCondo for now and simply buy vegetables at the farmers markets. Then when you are ready to live there most of the year, you could sell the condo and buy the house.

Maintaining a house long distance is not easy. And when you visit, you will be working on it. And when your gone, you never know what's happening to it.

At least the condo is more secure and no real maintenance. And easier to rent out when your not there if you want to do that.

But sounds like that option may not appeal to you much.
Actually I agree with you on all the points, and we have thought of this very much. My feel is, this is getting too comparable to just renting a hotel room (although there ARE some benefits). But I agree if we cannot find a solution to the security issue, we may end up going this route.

Today my wife and I visited Kahalu'u beach for the 2nd time. And for the 2nd time, the sky was cloudy for the whole morning, becoming sunny only in the afternoon. Is this a consistent pattern for this section of BI? If so, this seems a good compromise weather-wise between the northwest side and the east side -- not as hot, not as rainy, but still very lush. Homes there are beautiful!! My wife really likes them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM

69 posts, read 77,113 times
You won't be able to buy ocean front in HPP for 200,000.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Kailua-kona side (Kahaluu beach) is way more expensive than Puna side. There's also frequently the vog issue in Kona, although for the past few days the vog hasn't been that bad.

The easiest answer to an annual Hawaii based spot would be finding a BnB or a vacation rental and just keep going back to the same one. As you're finding out, it's almost impossible to choose the exactly right spot for you without having feet on the ground for an extended time. Considering you can rent a whole house for a month or more at less than the annual property tax you'd be paying to own a house, it may even be less expensive to do vacation rental than ownership. Stash the cash you'd be using to buy the property in some sort of interest earning place and then use that for your vacation funds.

How about renting a storage locker and stashing your Hawaii stuff there and then getting it out for whichever vacation rental you pick? Or find a vacation rental and see if you can get a discount if you schedule several years worth at a time? Maybe they'd even let you use a closet for storage if you were to rent there every year for five years?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Discovery Bay maybe? Don't they have ocean access?
Do you mean Discovery Harbour? I lived there for 6 months (we really slept around). It is REMOTE. You could 4-wheel to green sand beach down at South Point, or drive up to S. Kona beaches. And DH IS pretty close to Punalu'u,

Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
My feel is, this is getting too comparable to just renting a hotel room (although there ARE some benefits).
I'm with you on this. Have you looked at Hawi?

Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,998 times
Quote:
After a year of planning, I finally made the trip to BI to scout out the properties I have been contemplating. We are staying in Waikoloa, and took a drive through Hilo, Keaau, Hawaiian Paradise, Govt Beach Road, Hawaiian Beach, Kapoho, then returned to the west side.
What do you think about Waikoloa, where you're staying? You might also look at Waikoloa Village, at about 1,000 feet elevation, where it's a little cooler. You'd have to bump up your budget quite a bit to buy in that area. Condos are less expensive, but then you're stuck with the monthly maintenance fees. There are reasons why the prices are much lower in the Puna district. When people talk about the wild west, and lack of crime enforcement, that's included, along with the lower prices. The lava zone numbers is also another reason that Puna is cheaper. But when you see creepy looking people wandering and lurking around, that should make you reconsider the idea of investing in a Puna district property.

When we stayed in Waikoloa Village, we found the drive to Kona was an easy drive, never a horrible traffic jam. The dry areas have less problems with mosquitoes, but then you have to pay for the water to keep the dry areas green. If you're set on the Puna district, you might want to try renting a vacation rental in that area on your next visit to the island. A vacation rental in the area will give you a much better feel for living in the area rather than a hotel, even though it's for a very short duration.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 AM

857 posts, read 960,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What do you think about Waikoloa, where you're staying? You might also look at Waikoloa Village, at about 1,000 feet elevation, where it's a little cooler. You'd have to bump up your budget quite a bit to buy in that area. Condos are less expensive, but then you're stuck with the monthly maintenance fees. There are reasons why the prices are much lower in the Puna district. When people talk about the wild west, and lack of crime enforcement, that's included, along with the lower prices. The lava zone numbers is also another reason that Puna is cheaper. But when you see creepy looking people wandering and lurking around, that should make you reconsider the idea of investing in a Puna district property.

When we stayed in Waikoloa Village, we found the drive to Kona was an easy drive, never a horrible traffic jam. The dry areas have less problems with mosquitoes, but then you have to pay for the water to keep the dry areas green. If you're set on the Puna district, you might want to try renting a vacation rental in that area on your next visit to the island. A vacation rental in the area will give you a much better feel for living in the area rather than a hotel, even though it's for a very short duration.
This is my 2nd time staying a week in Waikoloa. Last time was 4 years ago at Hilton, this time in Marriot. This corner of the island has attractions in our opinion, and also draw backs. I was totally impressed by the vast expansive landscape from the mountain to the ocean, without any obstruction. But the land looks like mostly lava covered; I don't know how good the planting potential is. Planting a tropical fruit garden is quite an important part of this for us because (to me) it's an important part of Hawaii experience; it's not just getting the fruits, but the sense of abundance and being self-sufficient in this fertile paradise (even if I will probably end up buying a lot of fruits). Already here in our CA home we grow 10 fruit trees and they are very successful; I expect my Hawaii to offer even more.

I am not set on Puna, just that the bargain price and the lushness is very very attractive to me. After seeing the Government Beach Road lots (yes there are a couple of oceanfront lots as we speak, asking roughly $150K per acre, at the total of $150K and $180K), I think this is a bit too much work even for my inner Tarzan. I'm still evaluating all other options.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Check vog maps for the wind patterns that spread vog around. Vog is bad for fruit trees.

You can grow trees in pure lava but they won't grow as well as in soil. They will also be smaller than trees grown in soil, but they will grow. A lot of folks will dig out a hole in the lava rock and sort of have a 'planter' for their trees. Most of Puna is also all lava rock even though it's not black lava like the Kona side. Puna lava just has leaf litter on top of it that the trees grow in. Dig in that 'lushness' and you'd be surprised at how thin the 'soil' is under it. Look at how the trees grow, if they're vertical thin trees, then they're growing in cracks in the lava. Unless it's a tree with surface roots, then they will have a spreading crown.

If you want to grow things, the Hamakua coast has deep soil. But it ain't cheap. A lot less crime, too. But it ain't cheap. Loads of ocean views, but not much ocean access.

Because the gardening is year round, even a few productive trees can produce a lot. A residential lot planted with fruit trees and along with a garden will produce more than you can eat. Although, gardens usually do better with folks attending to them so until you actually live nearby, it may be best to just do trees.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
I don't know how good the planting potential is. Planting a tropical fruit garden is quite an important part of this for us because (to me) it's an important part of Hawaii experience; it's not just getting the fruits, but the sense of abundance and being self-sufficient in this fertile paradise (even if I will probably end up buying a lot of fruits).
If you aren't here all the time I you'll get a lot of dead and rotting fruit or the birds will pick it off, like bananas.....

Old 08-18-2017, 01:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you aren't here all the time I you'll get a lot of dead and rotting fruit or the birds will pick it off, like bananas.....
Actually, fruit thieves (along with rats and wild pigs) are probably more of a problem than rotting fruit and birds…
Everything You Need to Know About Local Fruit in Hawaiʻi - Honolulu Magazine - December 2016 - Hawaii
Alleged avocado theft brings charges | West Hawaii Today
Produce thefts have some isle farmers on edge | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island