Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you feel any symptoms of AMS on your visit to Mauna Kea?
No, not at all 3 33.33%
Only a minor headache/dizziness 2 22.22%
Yes, I felt pretty nauseated, but I just tried to take it easy and enjoy the views 1 11.11%
YES. I got full-fledged sick and needed immediate descent. And we'll leave it at that. 0 0%
I have never been to the actual summit 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:18 PM

20 posts, read 22,986 times

Advertisements

I hear these stories all the time of people getting violently sick and needing medical evacuation, or just getting a really bad headache, when visiting the observatories at the summit of Mauna Kea (13,800 ft elevation). Actually, more so than any other tourist attraction I can think of right off the bat - except for maybe the "Mission: SPACE" motion simulator at WDW in Orlando.

Just wondering what the overall track record is for people here on the Big Island board. I've visited Kauai before, and I enjoyed it enough that I definitely want to come back some day to see the BI, and Mauna Kea is on my list of places to see because I've recently been getting into astronomy and space and the like.

I've climbed Mt. Tallac in the Lake Tahoe area (9,735 ft) with no ill effects, as well as learned to ski at Winter Park in Colorado (9,000 ft) - only thing I noticed there was getting out of breath faster than usual and never really advancing beyond the kiddie slopes. I did start to feel lightheaded on the drive there over Berthound Pass (11,300 ft), but in retrospect I think that could've just as easily been dehydration (I can't remember exactly, but I'd wager I probably wasn't drinking as much as I should have due to anticipation of the trip).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
I didn't have a problem. Do you have altitude sickness anyway?

Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Never for me

Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
The recommendation is to stop at the ranger station at 9,000 feet for 30-45 minutes before proceeding to avoid to altitude sickness. And under no circumstance should one go diving and drive up to Mauna Kea in the same day.

If you have worries: "Ibuprofen, an anti-inflammatory medication often used as a painkiller, was found to significantly reduce the incidence of altitude sickness in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 86 men and women, according to the study, published online March 20 in Annals of Emergency Medicine."

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...hers-find.html

Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I don't like going to the top of the mountain. Light headedness, a bit hard to breathe and once up there walking around is best done slowly, but that's been about it and waiting a bit at the ranger station keeps it from being very noticeable. It's not any worse than Pike's Peak.

Who has had all these stories of folks getting sick and needing to be medically evacuated?

Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 PM

20 posts, read 22,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Who has had all these stories of folks getting sick and needing to be medically evacuated?
Visiting the Summit of Mauna Kea – A Darker View

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Only been once, many years ago while in my thirties. No issues whatsoever, though we didn't linger there for too long.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I got altitude sickness without nausea, dizziness, or headache. I just wanted to sleep. I found a nice leather couch and napped while the rest of my friends explored.
I was awaken by a major earthquake; I looked out the window, and the ground was moving horizontally!
turned out they were rotating the telescope, and the whole building went with it.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Fun facts: other symptoms of altitude sickness include sleepiness and poor judgement. So drive safe!

Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I haven't been to the summits of Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa, but I have been to the visitor's center on Mauna Kea (around 9,000ft) and to the end of the road on Mauna Loa (about 11,000ft).

No one got altitude sick, but the minute you tried to put any physical effort forward beyond a slow walk, both my husband and I were winded in short order and we are in great physical condition. It was just amazing how weird it was, felt like your lungs were..strange hollow, dry feeling. You could definitely push past and manage, but it was odd.

The day we went up Mauna Kea last time, it was gusting over 70MPH and they closed the summit road because of it. We walked, huffing and puffing, up the ridge to watch the sunset with some other folks. Most people were reasonably dressed for the occasion, but I saw at least one family in shorts, sandals, and very light windbreaker jackets. It was about 40F with high winds on an unprotected ridge. The parents forced their obviously miserable young school aged children to sit up there in those awful conditions while they watched the sunset (a good 20-25 minutes), freezing themselves. Someone felt bad for one of the kids and gave their blanket. I honestly couldn't believe it. Did they have altitude sickness to do something so clueless? Sunset from the ridge is nice, but just a sunset with the benefit the UV rays can burn your eyes some more than normal. It can be skipped for sure when the weather is bad, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island