Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 21,262 times

Advertisements

Ok, let me start by saying I may or may not be moving out by the end of the year. My fiance's family has been living in the area for almost 2 years. They own a pretty large plot of land (unsure of acreage but its more than 5) with 3 homes on it. I am happy and secure in my job and life here in Texas, however I yearn for a more simplistic lifestyle that suits my demeanor more. I have been traveling since I was about 4 years old every summer. I have made it to 49 states, mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands, and St. Croix. Hawaii is the last piece of the puzzle so to speak. I give all of this information to give a little insight on my self and my experiences. Moving on , I am a restaurant manager, been in the industry for more than 12 years and have a passion for food and people. My questions are, 1. I hear a lot about this reverse racism crap, true untrue or is it subjective? I am not a thin skinned person but am very respectful and friendly. Will this be a problem for me ? 2. What is day to day life like in this area? Work, play, Nightlife. 3. Vehicles, best one to drive? I dont want to call attention or aggravate anyone with my large 4x4 truck. Would like a 4cyl. 4x4. to put around in and ill ride a bike when I can. I have more questions but will wait for some preliminary responses. DISCLAIMER, I am not your average "haole" and don't want to be viewed as an intruder, but as an asset to the island and its people. I have studied the culture for a few months and am pretty sure due to my life in southern Louisiana that I will almost instantly learn pidgin. Cajun creole is very similar in sound and pronunciation from what I have read and seen. I also speak spanish, any need for it here??? Sorry to ramble but, I am excited and would really like some additional knowledge. thanks in advance.
Aloha ! from Texas !

CHRIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
1. Check old threads, this horse was beat to death long ago. 2. Work in Hilo or on a farm. Play at a beach park, probably Isaac Hale at Pohoiki. Nightlife, 2 bars in Keaau, more in Hilo, no jammin' party scene anywhere. 3. Whatever is best on gas. Go slow with the pidgin, many locals do not talk that way and may take offense.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM

I have read quite a few of the old posts and they seem to digress rather rapidly... From factual events to the seemingly outlandish.... I guess I am seeking a subjective and unbiased opinion of whether my move will be good for my self and my family, factoring in the information I provided about my self. Just to clarify also I am not looking to start a debate or an argument about who is this or that, I am not as I stated before, a average texan lol I do not spit tobacco, wear tight jeans, or any of the other ridiculous things that are said. With that said I do not believe everything I hear or read... nor should any of you. I want nothing more to live side by side with good people in a beautiful place.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 PM

also the pidgin thing just makes me think of home ... i think thats why im drawn to it...

Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM

219 posts, read 497,173 times
I'm sure you don't mean to be offensive about pidgin but you could really offend someone here. I would think it would be similar to throwing ebonics around in Atlanta, yes it's common but not everyone speaks it and many would like to get away from it. I've heard creole and it's not the same, I actually do not see the comparison maybe it's structural. There was a very good vid on youtube about it but I'm too lazy to hunt it up right now; you might try browsing through there.

As for the other questions....
There are already lots of big 4x4 trucks here, that will fit in although you may be hurting at the pump. I find the racism thing to be subjective. A typical day is also subjective. I'm sure many just eat, sleep, work during the week then try to hit the beach on the weekend. I'm doing it while I save money to move into a new place and bring my fiance and dogs over.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
My first trip to Oahu: "I'd never want to live here."
My first trip to the BI (Kona): "I'd never want to live here."
(later that same trip driving through Puna) "How soon can I move here?"

Point is, I wouldn't have known unless I visited first. I know several people who have taken several vacations to the BI and have never left West Hawaii.

If you are seriously considering Hilo or Puna (or anywhere in East Hawaii) I suggest www.punaweb.org

Old 05-20-2012, 03:14 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Having family in the area is a great start. What do they say when you ask them these questions?

Will you be able to leave your job in Texas in some manner that if it doesn't work out in Hawaii you would be able to go back to it? Will you need a job in Hawaii?

Travelling to and from the islands is expensive, you may not be travelling during summers as much anymore.

1. You haven't mentioned if you are haole, popolo, da kine or what, so how can we know? But it doesn't matter, you'll be from the mainland so that's enough right there. Having family in the area will do a lot to offset that, though.

2. Day to day life? Well, that totally depends on the individual person, doesn't it? Not a lot of jobs in the area, lots of outdoor type play, about zero nightlife.

3. Vehicles - whatever gets the best gas mileage. It isn't flat, though, a bicycle can be a drudge getting back up the hill to Keaau from Hilo.

4. Japanese is of more use than Spanish and try to hold off on the pidgin for a bit if you can. Chinese may be a good language to learn if you are looking to learn a new language. How about Hawaiian?

Maybe you can start a barbeque restaurant. There's loads of cows on the island and nobody seems to barbeque them Texas style.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Go slow with the pidgin, many locals do not talk that way and may take offense.
First I've heard someone say that many locals do not talk that way and may take offense.

Probably one of the more interesting things I've heard...makes complete sense though...

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-20-2012 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Pidgen is more of a 'secret language' than anything else. Kind of a 'code' that can only be shared by people who have lived here all their lives or at least for a very long time, and even then can only be used if the circumstances are right. Ran into a guy who I used to work with at the airport in SF a few years back, we fell right into full-on pidgen, people were looking at us like we were from another planet. Another country I could understand, but another planet?

Beam me up Scotty

Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM

hotzcatz- I figured having family in the area would be a "foot in the door" so to speak. As far as traveling I think I have almost completed my journies, maybe I'll just explore the islands for my travel fix. Thanks for the info it was very helpful.

I'm fine with not speaking pidgin lol two languages is enough for me as of now. I think I just like the fact that it is sort of an "insiders" language and like I said it just reminds me of bein in the swamp chasin gators. It sounds chopped up and butchered but is quite ingenious, I like that. Currently I drive a silverado 4x4 and dont really want to drag it down there and pay all that money for gas (10-16mpg.) Its expensive here and I can only imagine what I'd be paying there. Looked online and was able to find a few things that were reasonable and werent too high of miles. Not really looking for much of a night life, just somewhere where I can enjoy a beer and a game of pool with some friends to relax. My college/party days have come to a grinding halt since my boys came along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: