Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times

Advertisements

It's not very well publicized but your PO BOX also includes a street address for receiving FedEx, UPS, and other carriers. You have to fill out a form to activate it, but it's free to anybody with a PO BOX:

Explanation of service:

https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=mtcsa

Form you need to submit*:

https://ribbs.usps.gov/mtcsa/documen...rAgreement.pdf

Your "street address" will be the street address of the post office with "#XXX" (where XXX is your post office box number). Do NOT put "box #XXX" or "PO BOX #XXX" or else it violates the agreement. Just "#XXX".

For example, if your post office box 1234 is at the Hilo Airport post office and you need to receive a fedex UPS, etc address there, your address would be:

YOUR NAME
1299 Kekuanaoa St #1234
Hilo, HI 96720

I get FedEx, UPS, etc packages there all the time. If amazon rejects the address, enter everything in lower case. I don't know why that works, it just does.

"
I give them my physical address on line 1, box # on line 2."

That used to work for me as well, until my PO and physical addresses were in different zip codes, then it no longer worked.

The above "street address" solution is the "official" or "accepted" solution, and should propagate other USPS services like mail hold, forwarding, signature on file, etc.

* The usps web site says the form has to be submitted, but the PO BOX "street address" has worked for everybody I know who has used it without submitting the form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Thanks a lot, Terracore! This is very helpful information.

I can't count the number of times that a shipment has been denied because the company's system doesn't realize my Hawaiian address 94-XXXX Kane Place as a valid address. Even if I leave off the 94, it still says the address isn't valid. Frustrating!

Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
I much prefer UPS and FedEx delivering to my house, so I don't have to go get the packages at the PO.

Heck, I've heard tell that some places, the Post Office delivers mail to your house! Wow, imagine that!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Standing in line at the PO is definitely a drag, but so is waiting around for the Fedex/UPS guy. And if you're gone when they come, then you have to do it again. At least going to the PO its one and done, and sometimes you win the parcel locker lottery.

"a shipment has been denied because the company's system doesn't realize my Hawaiian address 94-XXXX Kane Place as a valid address"

Some address verification systems will only accept numbers and letters. Like if your address was 15-1001 Auli'i street it would never accept it, but if you enter 151001 Aulii St it will. You need to get rid of all the "punctuation". There is actually a background as to why- the original business (and address) verification company (dating back over 100 years), Dunn & Bradstreet, has never accepted non alpha-numeric characters into it's databases and it's messed up every address verification system that came after it. Or so I'm told. Sometimes getting rid of the punctuation works- I have no idea why not using uppercase characters sometimes works.

Often, I just have to email the company. Sometimes they are eager to work with me using a USPS address. Sometimes, they are not.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Standing in line at the PO is definitely a drag, but so is waiting around for the Fedex/UPS guy.
Why do you have to wait? Most places don’t require signature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island