Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times

Advertisements

I usually direct people with Puna-specific questions to a Puna-specific forum: punaweb.org
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

130 posts, read 152,630 times
The rumours you hear about Puna are both true and untrue at the same time. The murder rate is considerably higher than my home town in Canada. There is more petty crime. But it changes dramatically, even within a subdivision. Remember, some of these subdivisions are HUGE. Even a 'small' subdivision like Eden Roc is 2.7 miles deep and 0.7 miles wide. HPP is the second largest subdivision in the USA (behind HOVE out in Ka'u at #1.) Two blocks away from an area with problems, you might notice absolutely no problems at all. Two months later, the situations could be reversed. Puna is where cheap land is located. This attracts people who don't have a lot of money. Crime tends to be higher in low income neighborhoods, but there are a lot of exceptions.

My tenant had a problem on our street recently, but it seems to have disappeared. Best of luck with your move.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM

15 posts, read 24,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
The rumours you hear about Puna are both true and untrue at the same time. The murder rate is considerably higher than my home town in Canada. There is more petty crime. But it changes dramatically, even within a subdivision. Remember, some of these subdivisions are HUGE. Even a 'small' subdivision like Eden Roc is 2.7 miles deep and 0.7 miles wide. HPP is the second largest subdivision in the USA (behind HOVE out in Ka'u at #1.) Two blocks away from an area with problems, you might notice absolutely no problems at all. Two months later, the situations could be reversed. Puna is where cheap land is located. This attracts people who don't have a lot of money. Crime tends to be higher in low income neighborhoods, but there are a lot of exceptions.

My tenant had a problem on our street recently, but it seems to have disappeared. Best of luck with your move.
I really appreciate your reply. Some great info here and thanks for answering in a non-condescending way! =)

Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt2five View Post
I really appreciate your reply. Some great info here and thanks for answering in a non-condescending way! =)
I'll add that for the most part, violent crime is between people who know each other. There are exceptions, but it's mostly drug related or relationship related. Be friendly but be cautious about being friends until you know people a bit.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
That's for the violent crime, though. Theft is rampant. Partly because folks from not around here buy a second house here and leave it empty for long periods. I've heard of some where when they come back, the whole house has been stolen. Frequently, they will come back to missing water heaters and such, the whole house was a bit extreme. But, generators, tools, electronics, cars, ATVs, etc., etc. are frequently missing even from houses that people are currently living in.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
It is not as if violent crime does not exist....

Police Officer Shot In Hawaiian Beaches

Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Theft is rampant.
Apparently they will also steal huge state owned backhoes on the side of the road - although I found it odd it was stolen back in December and only made the newspaper today.

Hawaii island police seek backhoe thief

Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
I am not specifically looking at Puna. I just found Puna interesting because it's so controversial. I like to keep an open-mind and like to hear both side of the story regarding living there. I would like to live in a small to medium town with minimum traffic. I don't want to live on any part of the island where it's touristy or overdeveloped. I enjoy hiking, rain forests, beaches, ponds, and long walks in general. My housing budget is $500-$600/month at the moment. When I find work I'll gladly increase my budget =)

Thanks! =)
Where are you living now, and what's your housing budget where you are living. It's hard to imagine a housing budget that small almost anywhere in the US. Moving is expensive. A budget of $10K won't last very long in Hawaii. Almost everything will cost a lot more in Hawaii, not just housing. You have to eat and you'll need a car to get around. What kind of job skills do you have? What's your earning potential? Do you have any goals in your life, like educating yourself so you can raise your standard of living and save enough money for long term goals like retirement?

Puna is a beautiful tropical environment, no question about that. But there are a lot of sketchy people that live in that area from what I've read on the forum. We only passed through Puna a few times, during the daytime hours. We didn't encounter any of the sketchy people when we visited Puna, but we weren't there for very long.

It kind of sounds like you'd like to live in a beautiful tropical place, but aren't anywhere close to being financially independent. If you decide to make the move, then set a balance limit. When your money gets down to that limit, you'll have to return to the mainland. Otherwise, you might be homeless and trapped on an island. I saw many homeless people wandering around Hilo, collecting soda cans for pocket change, and eating out of garbage cans. If you visit Hilo, just look at those homeless people, and picture yourself as one of those people.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 24,618 times
Update: I’ve been here for a month now. All is going well. Met a lot of people and made some new friends, found myself a roommate and got myself a job. Mahalo to all.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Update: I’ve been here for a month now. All is going well. Met a lot of people and made some new friends, found myself a roommate and got myself a job. Mahalo to all.
Good for you!

So what are your impressions so far? Are you living in Puna District, Hilo or somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island