Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM

15 posts, read 24,747 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I was wondering what it's like to live in Puna? I have heard nothing but horror stories from the active lava flow, to the crimes that still takes place today, theft, hippies and how the air is filled with vog. People have said a lot of negative things about Puna so I was wondering if it's really that bad? Or is the locals just trying to scare people from moving to Puna?

The reason for all of these questions is because I have a ton of money saved up and I would like to move to the Big Island. I am now choosing what part of the island to live on.

Thanks!

Last edited by johnt2five; 02-16-2018 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 12:29 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,731,375 times
John, there have been lots of posts here about living in different parts of the BI. Spend some quality time reading through them. You could also check the Punaweb for some interesting conversations.

Why are you specifically looking at Puna? If you have tons of money, you could live just about anywhere on the island. What criteria do you have for your location? What is your housing budget?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 AM

10,700 posts, read 7,927,832 times
If you've heard nothing but horror stories about the place, and have tons of money, why even consider it? Look north to Kohala or Hamakua, or perhaps another island.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
John, there have been lots of posts here about living in different parts of the BI. Spend some quality time reading through them. You could also check the Punaweb for some interesting conversations.

Thanks as this helped a ton!

Why are you specifically looking at Puna? If you have tons of money, you could live just about anywhere on the island. What criteria do you have for your location? What is your housing budget?
I am not specifically looking at Puna. I just found Puna interesting because it's so controversial. I like to keep an open-mind and like to hear both side of the story regarding living there. I would like to live in a small to medium town with minimum traffic. I don't want to live on any part of the island where it's touristy or overdeveloped. I enjoy hiking, rain forests, beaches, ponds, and long walks in general. My housing budget is $500-$600/month at the moment. When I find work I'll gladly increase my budget =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
If you've heard nothing but horror stories about the place, and have tons of money, why even consider it? Look north to Kohala or Hamakua, or perhaps another island.
Thanks! =)

Old 02-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,179,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt2five View Post
I am not specifically looking at Puna. I just found Puna interesting because it's so controversial. I like to keep an open-mind and like to hear both side of the story regarding living there. I would like to live in a small to medium town with minimum traffic. I don't want to live on any part of the island where it's touristy or overdeveloped. I enjoy hiking, rain forests, beaches, ponds, and long walks in general. My housing budget is $500-$600/month at the moment. When I find work I'll gladly increase my budget =)

Thanks! =)
$500-600 a month for housing leaves you options such as: squatting, WOOFING, sleeping in your car or general homelessness.

Seriously though, I'meant not getting a sense you have done your homework regarding possibly moving to Hawai'i.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 AM

10,993 posts, read 7,536,808 times
I've lived mostly in Puna for 12 years, in HPP, Hawaiian Beaches, Kapoho Farm Lots, Northern Mountain View, Orchidland, and 9 years in Hawaiian Acres. I also lived on the Hamakua, Hilo, Na'alehu, and South Kona.

I've experienced only minor crimes in that time; fruit pilfered from trees, stuff stolen from the car I left unlocked.
It seems like every subdivision thinks some specific other subdivision is the most crime-filled. HPP residents will tell you that Hawaiian Acres is dangerous (actually, per-capita crime is higher in HPP than HA). HA thinks that Fern Forest is a frightening place. For that matter, Kona thinks Puna is scary, and Puna thinks Kona is filled with poseurs. You should be able to get crime statistics from the Hawaii Police Department.

I live at about 1500 foot elevation. That makes it about 7 degrees (5 degrees per 1,000 feet) cooler than sea level. It's a relief to come home after a hot day in Hilo. There are drier and wetter parts of Puna, which can affect the plants you can grow as well as how much sunshine you'll see.

A friend in Fern Acres rents out his converted shipping container for $500 a month.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,617,668 times
The lava flow has been going on since the 1980’s, we’re used to it. Do we have crime? What place doesn’t. Vog is mostly a problem for Kau and Kona. What’s wrong with hippies? Don’t like tie dye? Your budget may get you some sort of a roof overhead but you probably won’t have niceties like electricity, WiFi, or drinkable water.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,731,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt2five View Post
Hello All!

The reason for all of these questions is because I have a ton of money saved up and I would like to move to the Big Island. I am now choosing what part of the island to live on.

Thanks!
Wait a minute. How did you go from "a ton of money" to a housing budget of $500-$600 a month in a matter of 12 hours? Or maybe my idea of a ton of money is different from yours?

I have to wonder how much you really know about living in Hawaii. Like I said before, you need to spend a lot of time reading through the many informative (and interesting) posts on this forum.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM

[quote=Dreaming of Hawaii;51057600]Wait a minute. How did you go from "a ton of money" to a housing budget of $500-$600 a month in a matter of 12 hours? Or maybe my idea of a ton of money is different from yours?

I have a lot of money saved up but I have particular set budget. I'm splitting rent with a friend who will also be moving to Hawaii with me. We will look for a 3rd roommate. I'm sharing housing. =)

Last edited by johnt2five; 02-17-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Wait a minute. How did you go from "a ton of money" to a housing budget of $500-$600 a month in a matter of 12 hours? Or maybe my idea of a ton of money is different from yours?

I have to wonder how much you really know about living in Hawaii. Like I said before, you need to spend a lot of time reading through the many informative (and interesting) posts on this forum.
Yes Boss, I am starting to read the posts on the forum as I am writing this reply. Thanks so much! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island