Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 19,029 times

Advertisements

Prayers to you all. I'll chime in on this after the emergency there subsides (AND, YES, WE ARE UNDETERRED). Be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick4823 View Post
Prayers to you all. I'll chime in on this after the emergency there subsides (AND, YES, WE ARE UNDETERRED). Be safe!
I am reminded of that Supertramp song ...... Dreamer!

Last edited by Open-D; 05-04-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 19,029 times
To troll Open-D: Ignore.

Hope all are well and that this was the only eruption for a while.

Terracore, punaweb has been very helpful. We won't grow mainland foods; we'd rather work on native foods and hopefully get a place with some preexisting fruit producing trees. If we do a few vegetables, I think we're going to be a few raised beds.

That's our uniformed theory, of course. And you're right: we need to get there and figure out where (to live), what (to grow), and how (we are going to make all this work). We are working a few ways to make that happen, from a long post-baby vacation to work/interview trips. After that, I agree that renting for a year is a good idea.

The forum's wisdom has be really useful, and we are grateful.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 PM

121 posts, read 203,089 times
Quote:
We’ll have a decent down payment for about a $350,000 place with maybe a little startup money left over.
I don’t know what decent means, but I suspect you’re not bringing enough money. You’re both attorneys and you can’t pay cash for what most of us in the Islands would consider a very inexpensive property? I’d suggest spending a couple of more years lawyering and save up some more funds if you’re really serious about this working.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post
I don’t know what decent means, but I suspect you’re not bringing enough money. You’re both attorneys and you can’t pay cash for what most of us in the Islands would consider a very inexpensive property? I’d suggest spending a couple of more years lawyering and save up some more funds if you’re really serious about this working.
Besides money - I’ll never understand the rational why people can’t wait for kids to get to college. For an optional move - why do that to children?

First priority is education- and you won’t find it in Hawaii except limited public schools or go private.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:54 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:

Terracore, punaweb has been very helpful. We won't grow mainland foods; we'd rather work on native foods and hopefully get a place with some preexisting fruit producing trees. If we do a few vegetables, I think we're going to be a few raised beds.

That's our uniformed theory, of course. And you're right: we need to get there and figure out where (to live), what (to grow), and how (we are going to make all this work). We are working a few ways to make that happen, from a long post-baby vacation to work/interview trips. After that, I agree that renting for a year is a good idea.

And don't forget to salt away enough money for return airfare so when the dream is no longer so dreamy, you can get back home.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
As of tonight, Puna real-estate is now going to undergo some changes in valuation.
Yup! And looking at some real estate websites, it looks like one or two of them were already for sale and had a contingency on them. If you're in escrow and the house you're buying is in the middle of a lava flow path, is that a good reason to get out of the contract? Would the buyer lose their earnest money?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:

This seems to be a very different OpenD than we had before. The previous one was 'OpenD' verses the current 'Open-D'. I guess a hyphen makes a difference.

This is just the beginning of the eruption, most likely. It could be years of lava or it could end tomorrow.

You can grow some mainland foods. It just takes some new growing methods and some critical selections when choosing varieties. We have trouble with growing plants that require cold to set fruit (i.e. most varieties of apples, peaches and pears) or fruit that is susceptible to fruit flies such as beefsteak tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes grow well, beefsteaks get eaten by bugs.

The other major difference between mainland gardens and Hawaii gardens is that Hawaii gardens are pretty much year round. Growing a row or two of lettuce will pretty much keep you in lettuce. Tender Manoa lettuce is good in the cooler winter time, the buttercrunch and romaine lettuces are good for summertime heat. Save the seeds from the last one to bolt and replant. Instead of getting enough green beans to put them in jars to save for the winter, just plant more green beans and pick them in the wintertime.

There's also a sort of permaculture gardening that happens. Things like indeterminate tomatoes keep going for years, same as lima beans. Green beans die off, though, and need to be replanted.

Might be enough to feed a family, but probably not all the food you'd want and probably not enough to pay a mortgage.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:07 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
This is a troll Open-D that has the same name as one of the most knowledgeable poster this forum had in the past. No a coincidence, i bet. Check his post history and you will see he is just on of those conspiracy cookoos.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Our previous OpenD had gone to the mainland due to some pretty serious medical issues. Since he quit posting kinda suddenly, I kinda figured he didn't have a good resolution to the medical issues. Not knowing a real name, no way to check for obits, but I suspect he's not going to be posting on this forum ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island