Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times

Advertisements

There are some spectacular videos on YouTube, many taken by locals. Some of them include the man who evidently snapped and shot over the head of another local, whom he mistook for a looter. He seems to be a good friend of the videographer and an ordinarily nice guy, who apparently misjudged the situation, reached his limit and overreacted very badly. Glad his bullets didn't reach their mark.

Still no excuse for pulling a gun, of course, but it's very sad, especially for his family. His very nice house and beautifully landscaped yard were shown being encroached by unrelenting rolling lava from Fissure Eight as of a day or so ago - likely gone by now.

I hope he gets psychological evaluation before being tried. He doesn't seem to be a criminal or to have any prior history of this kind of thing. So - evaluation and probable treatment, short jail term, big fine, counseling, and probation with close supervision would probably be appropriate. A longer prison term would not serve any productive purpose. I expect he is extremely ashamed, depressed and embarrassed, understandably. But this sort of behavior is not acceptable, no matter how much stress is involved.

I hope the farm animals and pets from the affected areas are being evacuated - was glad to see that the official shelters are pet-friendly.

There are mixed reports about the fate of Rusty the Lava Rooster, seen on another series of other live videos shot by Civil Beat Honolulu last week. Some say he and his large hen-harem were left to shift for themselves atop the hill overlooking the lava-threatened valley below (near Fissure 20), while others say he and the rest were evacuated a day or so after the owners hurried left, thinking the chickens would be okay as they are free-range. Ditto the stray horse - mixed reports about his fate, some claiming he wandered to the nearby road after the owners left, and was picked up and taken to safety by the police. Wish we knew the truth...CNN was also shooting from this same location (the farm owners' porch overlooking the valley) and some said they could hear Rusty crowing on CNN's coverage for a couple of days after the owners left when power to the house was cut off. But no clear word after last Tuesday or Wednesday...

So in your prayers, alert St. Francis. Pity for the wild animals, too...birds can fly out, but not the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There are some spectacular videos on YouTube, many taken by locals. Some of them include the man who evidently snapped and shot over the head of another local, whom he mistook for a looter. He seems to be a good friend of the videographer and an ordinarily nice guy, who apparently misjudged the situation, reached his limit and overreacted very badly. Glad his bullets didn't reach their mark.

Still no excuse for pulling a gun, of course, but it's very sad, especially for his family. His very nice house and beautifully landscaped yard were shown being encroached by unrelenting rolling lava from Fissure Eight as of a day or so ago - likely gone by now.

I hope he gets psychological evaluation before being tried. He doesn't seem to be a criminal or to have any prior history of this kind of thing. So - evaluation and probable treatment, short jail term, big fine, counseling, and probation with close supervision would probably be appropriate. A longer prison term would not serve any productive purpose. I expect he is extremely ashamed, depressed and embarrassed, understandably. But this sort of behavior is not acceptable, no matter how much stress is involved.

I hope the farm animals and pets from the affected areas are being evacuated - was glad to see that the official shelters are pet-friendly.

There are mixed reports about the fate of Rusty the Lava Rooster, seen on another series of other live videos shot by Civil Beat Honolulu last week. Some say he and his large hen-harem were left to shift for themselves atop the hill overlooking the lava-threatened valley below (near Fissure 20), while others say he and the rest were evacuated a day or so after the owners hurried left, thinking the chickens would be okay as they are free-range. Ditto the stray horse - mixed reports about his fate, some claiming he wandered to the nearby road after the owners left, and was picked up and taken to safety by the police. Wish we knew the truth...CNN was also shooting from this same location (the farm owners' porch overlooking the valley) and some said they could hear Rusty crowing on CNN's coverage for a couple of days after the owners left when power to the house was cut off. But no clear word after last Tuesday or Wednesday...

So in your prayers, alert St. Francis. Pity for the wild animals, too...birds can fly out, but not the rest.
The Civil Beat folks did yeoman's duty in providing live vid feeds. A lot of people chatted up Rusty, that is for sure. Personally, I don't see how people can deal with their noise, but then some people didn't like the Beatles when they came out (if you can imagine that).

Weather Watcher did a good job for a while, but he went back to the mainland (Missouri, I believe).

I am deeply disappointed at the lack of airborne video except the Helo-born work of Mick K and a few others. Drone footage would have been much better, and not put anyone in harm's way whatsoever, but the backwards folks in charge wanted to ban them, so they did. Personally, I await the release of the dji Mavic Pro II with its 4K 60 fps camera with rock-solid stabilization. Might pick up a half-dozen or so and travel to the BI and assert my 1st Amendment right of the press (videographer). I'll be well out of harm's way, shooting from a drone nearly a mile away, controlled with first person view FPV. Unlike a helo, drones don't breath air, carry living cargo or have any impact if they crash.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There are some spectacular videos on YouTube, many taken by locals. Some of them include the man who evidently snapped and shot over the head of another local, whom he mistook for a looter. He seems to be a good friend of the videographer and an ordinarily nice guy,
Hubbard? Eh, not so much. Leilani shooting suspect makes court appearance - Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Of course, his drug dealing conviction was ages ago as was his previous illegal ownership of a firearm, but he allegedly pointed a gun at one of the young women present a demanded her cell phone, then chucked it into the jungle. He also had a long-running feud with his neighbor:

[url]

On the bright side, he was nice to that cat, so he can't be all bad. And, he now has much better accommodations than many of the people from Leilani Estates.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:26 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"Might pick up a half-dozen or so and travel to the BI and assert my 1st Amendment right of the press (videographer)."

The first amendment doesn't give you the right to endanger official air traffic.

People like you are why they had to ban the drones in the first place. I have a drone (actually, just a toy model with a small camera) and military helicopters have passed over my house at altitudes my drone can reach. And I'm not even in the restricted airspace.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"Might pick up a half-dozen or so and travel to the BI and assert my 1st Amendment right of the press (videographer)."

The first amendment doesn't give you the right to endanger official air traffic.

People like you are why they had to ban the drones in the first place. I have a drone (actually, just a toy model with a small camera) and military helicopters have passed over my house at altitudes my drone can reach. And I'm not even in the restricted airspace.
A photojournalist has just as much right to use the airspace as a helicopter. There are minimums, and if they endanger drones by violating them, that is THEIR fault. We are talking right of the press, not play toys. Think, mini news chopper.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"A photojournalist has just as much right to use the airspace as a helicopter."

Agreed. So long as that photojournalist has a pilot's license and obeys the FAA NOTAM and other rules.

A licensed pilot can be a photojournalist, without going to school and getting licensed to be a photojournalist.

The reverse is not true. Keep your drones out of here.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:13 PM

40 posts, read 82,009 times
Does anyone find it odd that Puna and Pahoa Realtors show zero change in their lava-area listings?

There's universally no change in price/availability/status. Why?

Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Agreed. So long as that photojournalist has a pilot's license and obeys the FAA NOTAM and other rules.

A licensed pilot can be a photojournalist, without going to school and getting licensed to be a photojournalist.

Does Mick K have a pilots license. Don't think so, he isn't flying, he is a passenger.

Radio controlled aircraft don't require a0 license,, and the right of press is still alive, even in HI.....sort of

Last edited by Open-D; 06-02-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:

No, progress must go on.

Another thing, the right of the press is NOT dependent on the concurrence of those making news, directly or indirectly. In other words, I don't need your permission to document this eruption via hand-held or airborne-handheld or drone-borne cameras. It simply is NOT your call. It was made by the Founders when they penned the Bill of Rights.

One other thing, if an activity requires a license, it can't, by definition, be a right. Rights require no pre-authorization, or any authorization. For example, I don't need a license to print a newsletter, run a journalist web site or the like. You have NO say, so I would offer you accept the future. Drone-born photojournalism is going to be huge in the very near future, Luddites, or no-Luddites.

Last edited by Open-D; 06-02-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I'm do not believe this can continue and not affect s california
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island