Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 86,905 times

Advertisements

Have a backup if you go solar. My brand new 6 month old solar system died (the inverter) and I will be waiting 2-3 weeks for the replacement inverter to arrive and then who knows how long until it gets installed. I considered going off the grid and I'm glad I didnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM

130 posts, read 152,516 times
2k is cheap compared to the alternatives.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
2k is cheap compared to the alternatives.
2.5K is what I paid for my solar a quarter century ago. Still works fine, although batteries have had to be replaced two or three times. Granted it's a small 12 volt system. Monthlies are substantial even if you're a power miser when you're served exclusively by the grid because HELCO charges a staggering amount per kilowatt hour for their mostly dirty diesel generated electricity. Some people just gotta have that convenience and lack of maintenance advantage though, plus the grid can't be stolen from you.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapu'u View Post
plus the grid can't be stolen from you.
Are people stealing solar systems also?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Are people stealing solar systems also?
I don't know of it happening to anyone but wouldn't be surprised because the equipment can be fairly valuable. Generators are said to be in high demand by the thieving bastards. I had my pig trap stolen. It was too close to the road and not hidden very well. No big loss because it wasn't catching pigs anyway.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapu'u View Post
I don't know of it happening to anyone but wouldn't be surprised because the equipment can be fairly valuable. Generators are said to be in high demand by the thieving bastards. I had my pig trap stolen. It was too close to the road and not hidden very well. No big loss because it wasn't catching pigs anyway.
That seems like a lot of work for a tweaker or anyone else for that matter. I would imagine it’s easier to just swipe a generator than to climb on a roof and start stealing panels. It doesn’t even have to be that way if a homeowner would use technology to their advantage and secure their home with a security system. $300 can get you something decent with no monthly fees.

If I was off grid and that is what I would prefer living in Hawaii; I agree and would have a generator as backup.

The cost of electricity in Hawaii, I’m surprised more people do not live off grid.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The cost of electricity in Hawaii, I’m surprised more people do not live off grid.
Given that nearly half the residents of the Puna district are at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Level - not everyone can afford the upfront costs of solar or the maintenance - nor qualify for a loan.

Regardless, with solar hot water (huge savings) and energy efficient appliances, one does not have to have a high electric bill.

The lack of incentives since they killed off net metering for new solar has killed off many of the installers in Hawaii. My ROI on solar would have been extended by several years had I not been grandfathered into net metering.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Given that nearly half the residents of the Puna district are at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Level - not everyone can afford the upfront costs of solar or the maintenance - nor qualify for a loan.

Regardless, with solar hot water (huge savings) and energy efficient appliances, one does not have to have a high electric bill.

The lack of incentives since they killed off net metering for new solar has killed off many of the installers in Hawaii. My ROI on solar would have been extended by several years had I not been grandfathered into net metering.
I didn’t think that one through. I forget the poverty levels in Puna and how extreme it is. It’s a luxury to afford to install the panels to live off grid. I imagine the Hawaiian grid is so small, with all the panels attached to the grid poses an issue.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM

130 posts, read 152,516 times
I've places where rippers stole solar systems, catchment pumps, sinks, bathtubs, toilets, appliances and more when looking at real estate in Puna subdivisions.

Monthly electric bills at my cottage are $20-50, depending on use. Mostly LED lights, propane water, dryer and stove, electric fridge.

I was quoted $8k for solar install, fully permitted back in 2012.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
I've places where rippers stole solar systems, catchment pumps, sinks, bathtubs, toilets, appliances and more when looking at real estate in Puna subdivisions.

Monthly electric bills at my cottage are $20-50, depending on use. Mostly LED lights, propane water, dryer and stove, electric fridge.

I was quoted $8k for solar install, fully permitted back in 2012.
Very impressive! I abuse the heck out of electric. Moving to Hawaii I will have to have an overhaul of my electric use habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island