Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky62;56058491[B
]I read some of the cinder cones areas on the north west side were used in training l for Marines that later went to Iwo Jima in 45[/b]. There was a great black sand beach , part of a state park on the north west tip of the island. When you parked at the end of the road you had to walk down a fairly steep dirt path covered with some of the largest snail I have ever seen. Then at the bottom jump down to get to the black sand beach. A bit secluded but really nice with a path back up the other side of the hills that narrowed quite a bit (a ravine like feature where you could reach out on touch both sides of the rock walls at times) that was used by cattle. Muddy and the occasional cow pie but eventually comes out on a ridge opposite the parking lot in the distance to the south. We were not sure where the path led so eventually turned around and headed back to the beach.

The park with the big natural hot pond was eaten by lava. That is very sad to hear, it was one of the most enjoyable places we visited. It was a place, like the doughnut shop that I wanted to revisit.
My father in law was there for training with the Marines. Said the training was really tough, but he liked the steaks they were fed.

He would not talk with anyone about what he experienced on Iwo Jima, except for one evening when it was just the two of us on the back porch with a couple of beers. And that was the one and only time. I can understand why he felt that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,599 times
It rains in Hilo? Yeah!!! It rains in a rain forest? Yeah!!! If you can't integrate with the community you will not fit in anywhere, not just Hawaii. As someone else suggested volunteer in a community group.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:45 AM

105 posts, read 61,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
That's nice of you. Sad to say, but the income gap between haves and have nots in hawaii seems to be growing over the year, and not shrinking. I really feel sorry for people trying to make it on a lower income. There's a net exodus of the brightest and most educated locals in hawaii. What's left is lower income people, retirees, and dreamers moving to hawaii from the mainland.
Just read 37 more people leave each day than arrive.
The papers are calling it an exodus from poverty.

There are so many comparable places to live where the cost of living is much less.

I just decided last night to move, im not sure where yet, but its going to be someplace where the living standard is sustainable and not dependent on retirees and tourists.

I am sick of both... respectfully of course.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Really? We're having a population drop? I thought that was Oahu?

Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Really? We're having a population drop? I thought that was Oahu?
The State is forecasting a population growth of 1.42 million is 2016 to 1.65 million in 2045, an average growth rate of 0.5%, the slowest growth period since Hawaii became a State. Oahu will also grow, albeit at a slower pace.

The slower growth rate is due to the following - more people leave the state than move to the state (this is not a recent issue - this has been happening for about 20 years) but net migration is not a significant number in terms of the population. Hawaii's growth has been dependent on more births than deaths (much more births actually) however that will be slowing, not so much because of Hawaii's prolific baby making but because of Hawaii's aging population - essentially a higher die off will slow population growth. This die off will impact the population more than net migration.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Worldwide population is supposed to be slowing and eventually topping out around 2100. I think lessened fertility is the factor they're claiming is slowing it. Oahu is already pretty full, not sure how the additional folks are gonna be fitted in, but I suppose there are places with a higher population density that can manage it so Oahu probably will, too.

Hilo at least has space to put an increased population.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post

There are so many comparable places to live where the cost of living is much less.

I just decided last night to move, im not sure where yet, but its going to be someplace where the living standard is sustainable and not dependent on retirees and tourists.

I am sick of both... respectfully of course.
Guess you can scratch Italy of your wish list then, as their economy is in ruins.

What's the enviable profession you work in that allows living anywhere in the world?

Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

What's the enviable profession you work in that allows living anywhere in the world?
Exorcist

What do you do?

Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Guess you can scratch Italy of your wish list then, as their economy is in ruins.

What are you referring to in your comment?
I can find no news of a collapse.

You yanking my chain old timer?

Last edited by lifeisruff; 09-05-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 09:15 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
Exorcist

What do you do?
In that case put Italy back on your list! Lots of Catholics there, with plenty of problems.

Maybe "ruin" was too strong of a word, but: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-s-problem-too

I'm retired from two jobs, neither of which provide much in the way of a pension but one provides free or greatly discounted airfare and the other provides health benefits.

I also have two part time sources for a bit of income, one is fixed on Big Island (small orchard) and the other I can do from a mobile phone. Apparently I can only afford to live in Alaska and East Hawaii, which is just fine by me because those are the only two states I desire to live in.

Yup, I'm yanking your chain old feller. So, you're a retiree not wishing to live around other retirees?

Hey, Europe is loaded with them but I believe they're called "old age pensioners" there.
They've got lots of tourists too, and of course the locals hate 'em.

Want to be around youth and fewer tourists? Head to the Middle East or SE Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island