Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:20 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times

Advertisements

There have been programs over the years that offer incentives for teachers to relocate. Salary, moving, housing incentives. Search around on the internet and see what is going on now. A few years ago two nieces went to Hawaii. A little more recently another niece went to a different mainland state with nice people and great hiking which served as additional incentives for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
There have been programs over the years that offer incentives for teachers to relocate.
Do you have a source/link specific to Hawaii?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have a source/link specific to Hawaii?
Yes. I’d definately want to take advantage of such a program.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Life has a way of changing your dreams over time. What you want today likely won’t be what want 10 years from now. And if you bought in Hilo now, you may find you actually hate living there after you’ve been there a few months.

You’re best course, in my opinion, is to focus on building and growing your wealth in your local area. Then in 19 years you may have many more options available to you ... including Hawaii.

While you are young and before you start a family, live as cheaply as possible. Get a roommate to share in your mortgage expenses and save enough money for another down payment. Then move out of your current house, rent it, and buy a duplex that you move into one side. Then start the process over again with a goal buying and moving into a new duplex as often as you can while keeping the one you move out of. If you owner-occupy each new place, you can buy with a pretty low down payment if you need to.

In a few years you could have multiple properties that your tenants pay off for you over time. Put them on 20-yr mortgages and when your 19 years are up you could have a significant portfolio and additional cash flow to provide you with far greater options to do whatever you choose. Including moving to Hawaii if you still want to. Or frequently vacationing in Hawaii.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, I think if you focus on building your wealth (and doing it locally) will likely open many more doors for you in the future. That is the advice I give many young people who are starting out in life.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
My wife just received an email from HDOE and they are offering $3K to new hires upfront for moving expenses.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM

134 posts, read 113,609 times
Forget Hawaii.

Get a job teaching with the Department of Defense Dependent School System. Very good pay, living expenses paid, post allowance sometimes paid (and it is untaxed), yearly round trip travel to the U.S. paid, etc.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 69,271 times
To extend the "catch" explanation relative to HOVE, it's also one of the riskiest places relative to lava flows.

But I'll agree with everyone. Try and get a teaching job right now on the island. Doesn't need to be Hilo. Schools all over. See what happens. Take the plunge.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobanion View Post
To extend the "catch" explanation relative to HOVE, it's also one of the riskiest places relative to lava flows.

But I'll agree with everyone. Try and get a teaching job right now on the island. Doesn't need to be Hilo. Schools all over. See what happens. Take the plunge.
The more I look, the more I warm up to it. That said, I’m still conflicted about the idea of renting out rooms in a place I’m still living in. Its a logical way to approach the sizable real estate cost on the big island, but i still worry about my roommates eating up my food or stealing my valuables and identity. My house is less than a mile from my mom’s house and I ran the idea of renting out my spare room in my house on airbnb and she told me it was a terrible idea and told me a few horror stories about people who rented out rooms who were brutally murdered in their sleep. Granted, the crime is really bad where I live.

I’m also a tad apprehensive about telling my mom I’m thinking about quitting this job she worked so hard to get me so I can move away from shreveport. She took a voluntary demotion and completely derailed her life a year ago so I could work at the school I work at too, and I know that will be an awkward conversation.

Honestly, though, as much as I like my house and the school I’m working at, I hate shreveport. I hate the sweltering summers, and while the winters aren’t as bad as some places, the winters are way too cold. The crime is also getting way out of hand and race relations are starting to sour again after only a brief period of race relations looking like they were getting better (the population here is half-white, half-black, and most of the whites hate the blacks and most of the blacks hate the whites. I’m a white guy whose had to defend himself against a few very hostile black people who I did nothing to provoke on several occasions). Shreveport is also very economically depressed, and I feel like this drives the high crime rate. Why racism exists in the first place boggles my mind since I can think of much better predictors of character than skin tone. I strive to treat people respectfully and with dignity regardless of what they look like. Obviously, not everybody here is racist, but I’d say the majority are racist to either whites or blacks (there are some loathsome white racists around here, too, so I can see where the black racists anger comes from).

I’m VERY conflicted between waiting and acting now. I want to go now, but don’t want to upset my mother either after she basically sacrificed herself to build me up here.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
First find out what the minimum requirements of teaching in Hawaii are. I don't think you have to have the national certificate right away or if there's a Hawaii certification you have to get at some point. Then you'll know the starting minimums.

Vacation over the summer in Hawaii, talk to the principals of the schools you'd like to work at. See if they have an opening.
See if DOE will hire you and then worry about what to tell folks in Louisiana. No need getting them all riled up over something that wouldn't happen, so first see if it will happen.

I'd guess renting a room out is different in Hawaii than in Louisiana. Lots of folks share houses since the cost of houses is so high.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 AM

74 posts, read 74,211 times
Returning to the OP's original question: Puna. Way cheaper than Hilo, and only a half hour commute. Plenty of good reasons that it is cheaper, but that's where most of the working middle class of Hilo live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island