Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

I'll go ahead and make three points. First, Puna is where most whites live on that side of the island, but much or even most of it is dumpy. Second, there is racism in Hilo too, so you won't be escaping that in your move. Third, for various reasons almost all teachers from the mainland leave after their first year. I suggest spending time there and visiting some schools before deciding. Maybe even speak with some other teachers who have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Hawaii needs teachers so if I were you I'd look on all the islands in all parts and apply for teaching jobs. The sooner you get into the retirement system for the Hawaii school system the better

Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Hawaii needs teachers so if I were you I'd look on all the islands in all parts and apply for teaching jobs. The sooner you get into the retirement system for the Hawaii school system the better
Sadly only the Puna area is where new teachers can afford to live. Who really is attracted to 200+ inches of rain a year 2 hours away from a nice beach? That on top of one of the worse educational systems in the country.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Sadly only the Puna area is where new teachers can afford to live.
That's certainly not true - plenty of listings around Hilo under $1,500/month and also on the Kona side at that price point.

Many teachers are married/have a significant other/have a roommate - so, implying Puna is the only awful option is shortsighted.

Or, they do my favorite word, live a "minimalistic" lifestyle.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That's certainly not true - plenty of listings around Hilo under $1,500/month and also on the Kona side at that price point...Or, they do my favorite word, live a "minimalistic" lifestyle.
Not in Hilo or Kona they don't. In Hilo one could get by without a car, but couldn't live in a cheap shack.

Kona side, very difficult avoiding car ownership for commuting.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Not in Hilo or Kona they don't. In Hilo one could get by without a car, but couldn't live in a cheap shack.

Kona side, very difficult avoiding car ownership for commuting.
I never thought "minimalistic" meant you don't have a car. Given the very unreliable Big Island public transportation system, I figured the "minimalists" probably have to have a car.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:41 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I never thought "minimalistic" meant you don't have a car. Given the very unreliable Big Island public transportation system, I figured the "minimalists" probably have to have a car.
OK, but it means you have to do without something, right?

Low cost accomodations, no car, grow your own food, etc.-pick at least one.

No car seems most likely to me for Hilo since distances aren't that great between locations in downtown and there are many side streets, meaning walking, busing or biking may be feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island