Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,870 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I am a recent graduate student from Columbia University with a Master's Degree in Environmental Engineering and a concentration in Sustainable Energy.

I always think Hawaii is the right place for an environmental/energy major student to work in. And after two-month stay in Hilo (Jan & Feb), I have decided to move from NYC to Hilo. However, as I looked into energy companies in Hilo, I didn't have much luck. Most of the companies I got are solar installation companies. I am very interested in power companies like Hawaii Electric Light, what are the other power companies I could try out?

Also how long is the normal job interview process? I am planning on moving to Hilo late April, ideally mid-April, and hoping to get the job settled before moving there.

Mahalo for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 PM

65 posts, read 87,585 times
Despite having sun and geothermal and tradewinds all year long, we have protesters wanting the geothermal plant shut down and a company is trying to start burning tree's for electricity (If I remember Easter Island residents cut down all their trees and everyone died). Residents complain about the sulfur smell from the geothermal plant even though the flippin' volcano is right next door pumping out sulfur dioxide.

We also burn the most oil for energy in all the states I've heard. The power companies seem to be dug in like ticks and dont want anything to change. It is a pain in the butt just to give my excess electricity generated from solar back to Hawaii Electric. They in turn sell it back to my neighbors at 8 times the national electricity rate.

Not the most forward looking place to jump into cutting edge environmental engineering unfortunately.

Absolutely make sure you have a job before moving. There are so many stories of people moving and then looking to get a job only to leave or end up homeless.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,567,898 times
Check with UH Hilo. They have a massive amount of resource available for the local career market.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:19 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Advice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Hawaii Electric Light Company (HELCO) is a subsidiary of Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO). Hawaiian Electric is the electric company for all the islands except Kauai, I think. So HELCO / HECO is pretty much the only game in town.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 AM

do you know which website i should check out? i checked the UH Hilo website, but they only have instructor/professor jobs in the university.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
There is no "normal job interview process". Each business does it differently. Depends on how quickly they need someone, or how busy they are, but the most important thing is that very few companies are going to consider someone who doesn't even live here yet. Too many people dream of moving but never make it, so why should businesses even waste their time looking at someone who hasn't made the leap?

Did you make any contacts during the two months you were here?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There is no "normal job interview process". Each business does it differently. Depends on how quickly they need someone, or how busy they are, but the most important thing is that very few companies are going to consider someone who doesn't even live here yet. Too many people dream of moving but never make it, so why should businesses even waste their time looking at someone who hasn't made the leap?

Did you make any contacts during the two months you were here?
I have a bunch of friends who live in Hilo, but they all work in the tourism. One friend who worked in UH Hilo for the observatory, but he has retired long before.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hawaii Electric Light Company (HELCO) is a subsidiary of Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO). Hawaiian Electric is the electric company for all the islands except Kauai, I think. So HELCO / HECO is pretty much the only game in town.
do you know which website i should check out? i checked the UH Hilo website, but they only have instructor/professor jobs in the university.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
The best thing you can do is get a job wherever you can get it - and after 5-10 years of experience (or more) then target where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: