Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 02:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,153,490 times

Advertisements

Apply for a Hawaiian Air Visa Card. It offers you 60,000 bonus miles with a $99 annual fee. It has direct flight from Honolulu to Sacramento daily.

The cheapest fare is the last week of November (after Thanksgiving) and first week of December. Round trip ticket can be as low as below $300.

Other than X'mas and July/August, the flights can be bought with 35,000 miles +$11.20. But the same miles can also buy you a round ticket from Honolulu to Boston or NYC in low or shoulder season.

Chase Sapphire is a good credit card. If you deem Reserve Card charge a high annual fee, then get a Preferred Card which charges $99 annual fee. The best perk is for car rental. Chase Sapphire seems to be the only card that offers primary car rental insurance.

Also consider apply for a no fee Citi Dividend Card. In every 3rd quarter it rebates 5% on any travel expense. Costco Citi Visa Card offers 3% travel rebate year round.

Chase Sapphire and both Citicards offer trip cancellation insurance but Hawaiian Air Visa Card doesn't.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 05-14-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,015,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Why would anyone pay an annual fee to have a credit card? What am I missing?
If you frequently travel - especially business travel - it makes no sense to have a no fee card as the benefits far outweigh the fee. There are no - no fee cards - that have the benefits of fee cards.

If you don't spend much on a card - then yes, it makes no sense.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM

If flying long haul, i.e. from East Coast, better choose direct or at least choose the connecting flights with at least 90 minutes in between.

I have once flown Delta with 50 minutes connecting time. The first flight got delayed and I could not get on the second flight. Because there is usually only one flight daily from Mainland to Hawaii, so I was given one night hotel stay but I still preferred coming home on the same day.

The problem with Alaska Air is usually it requires long transit in SEA, i.e. 6 hours or more, if you fly from East Coast.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

I have once flown Delta with 50 minutes connecting time. The first flight got delayed and I could not get on the second flight. Because there is usually only one flight daily from Mainland to Hawaii, so I was given one night hotel stay but I still preferred coming home on the same day.
Generally, the best airline if you have to connect is United - they have 4 flights per day from SFO and 4 flights per day from LAX. They provide the most seats between Hawaii and the Mainland.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:51 PM

Most UA flights departing from East Coast are usually from EWR instead of JFK (New York area) or BWI instead of DCA or IAD (DC area). A little bit humbug.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most UA flights departing from East Coast are usually from EWR instead of JFK (New York area) or BWI instead of DCA or IAD (DC area). A little bit humbug.
EWR is closer to much of Manhattan. As I write this at NYC rush hour, under an hour from Manhattan to EWR - over an hour to JFK. UA flies out of IAD not BWI.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM

UA flies out from both BWI and IAD. But those flights departing from BWI are considerably cheaper. I am very price conscious.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,968,915 times
"EWR is closer to much of Manhattan. As I write this at NYC rush hour, under an hour from Manhattan to EWR - over an hour to JFK."

You can take a train from EWR straight to Manhattan Penn Station and never have to step into the filth that is Newark. It's been awhile, but I think it was like $12. If one likes to spend time in Manhattan but doesn't like $400/night hotel rooms (or whatever they are now), there is a Hilton at the Newark Penn Station that is physically connected to to the rail line. So you can pay Newark hotel rates, not have to actually ever step foot in Newark, and you're a 15 minute train ride from Manhattan. And they have a free shuttle to EWR, or you can take the train.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You can take a train from EWR straight to Manhattan Penn Station and never have to step into the filth that is Newark.
When is the last time you've been to Newark?

Hemispheres Travel Show: Three Perfect Days Newark & On Location Aruba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: