Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 8,793 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, my Dad and I just got back from Hawaii, found an amazing house in Kapaau. He's retired, divorced, and we are currently renting a house together in OC, CA after he sold the house with his ex-wife. I moved in to help him through surgeries etc & so I could chill, take art classes and reboot my life as an artist.

He's considering buying this house for me, it's incredible, he at first said absolutely no and I had no intentions of him helping me get a place but suddenly it's an option. I'm nervous, but I fell in love with Hawi for the second I was there - artist community, vegan food, mexican restaurant, Polulu Valley down the way...

I'd just feel kind of isolated I think? And the home is a huge responsibility, I dont think there's any trash pick up so I'd have to drop it off and things like that I'm not used to. But maybe it's a good challenge for me? It might be the best place for my art to take off? The property is surreal, private, in a forest, with its own waterfall, and perfect art studio quarters downstairs...

Now that my Dad's actually considering it I'm getting cold feet, butterflies in my stomach, haha. Any insights would help. I'm used to going to LA for concerts and friends a few times a month...but I could get my concert fix by flying back for Coachella and Lightning in a Bottle once a year or something.

There's also a meditation center, yoga, etc near Hawi, maybe this is the spiritual reset I need. But it's scary. lol <3 thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staralfur44 View Post

Now that my Dad's actually considering it I'm getting cold feet, butterflies in my stomach, haha. Any insights would help.
Stick with your gut. You won't be the first starving artist the island has spit up nor will you be the last.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Stick with your gut. You won't be the first starving artist the island has spit up nor will you be the last.
Haha thanks, well my gut is kind of confused. Like a big part of me is thinking this could be the best thing to happen to me, I could really clear my head and find myself out there. I'm huge on meditating lately and I like being alone in nature. So it's partly butterflies of major excitement. I've lived the city life, I lived in DTLA for 2.5 years, done suburbia here in OC. I worked a summer in Yellowstone and loved it.

In my heart of hearts I want to give this artist thing a huge shot, and when I saw this property I cried, it was so beautiful.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I say go for it BUT.... Have you ever had the responsibility of taking care of a house by yourself? You mentioned the trash, which is common here, but what about all the other utilities. What will you do if you have something that quits working? Kapaau is pretty isolated, and it may be hard to find a plumber, electrician, handyman, etc. Will you be able to handle all the yard work? These are some real-life hard questions you'll need to consider, once you get over the love fest you have going on.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I say go for it BUT.... Have you ever had the responsibility of taking care of a house by yourself? You mentioned the trash, which is common here, but what about all the other utilities. What will you do if you have something that quits working? Kapaau is pretty isolated, and it may be hard to find a plumber, electrician, handyman, etc. Will you be able to handle all the yard work? These are some real-life hard questions you'll need to consider, once you get over the love fest you have going on.
Thank you, yes, these are all of the questions I have running through my mind. No, I have never taken care of a house by myself, haha. So yeah, it feels overwhelming but also kind of motivating? Like I'd really be living and proving myself. The yard is gorgeous, full of fruit trees etc. It'd be a challenge but a labor of love. The husband of the host of where I stayed in Hawaii happens to be a great handyman apparently - I asked them for some advice lol. Idk how willing people are to drive up to Kapaau for help. I am great at making connections and positive relationships when I need to though. I happen to have a bit of inheritance money coming in for the next year or so to help me through the first year.

It's all a huge leap of faith for sure, so yeah, I'm not going to go into this lightly, hence posting.

Thank you for the advice Do you live on the big island?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Kapaau is kinda remote, there's not a lot there, but there is a community there. Once you become part of it, then when you need something someone will know someone who can help or have advice. That is, if you become part of the community. If you are up there as a person apart, then it will be really remote but if you are part of the community then it will be comfortable.

There was just a big parade through town up there several days ago for King Kamehameha day. Not exactly a concert in LA, but if you wanted Hawaiian music and a parade, there's at least one a year.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kapaau is kinda remote, there's not a lot there, but there is a community there. Once you become part of it, then when you need something someone will know someone who can help or have advice. That is, if you become part of the community. If you are up there as a person apart, then it will be really remote but if you are part of the community then it will be comfortable.

There was just a big parade through town up there several days ago for King Kamehameha day. Not exactly a concert in LA, but if you wanted Hawaiian music and a parade, there's at least one a year.
Haha yeah we heard that was happening! We left the day it happened. I already connected with the owner of Sweet Potato Kitchen. Made friends with her rooster Vinnie and told her she made me the best breakfast I had all trip. xD It's a small start. I'm sure Vinnie will come in handy somehow, if not just for smiles.

I'm an introvert anyhow, love hiking, and being in nature alone, and want to focus on meditating, yoga, and hopefully as a result creating the art I've always dreamed of. Oh and swimming, snorkeling, and scuba of course.

Thank you for your insight, that helped.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 AM

Just found an event happening at my bar kona that would give me a little music fix, a solstice party with some house music djs, which could definitely give me a little dose of something I like. I like almost all music but usually not top-40 (indie, alternative, electronic, rock, experimental hip hop jazz etc), bit of dancing to non-top 40 would help me out a lot, an event like this seems to hit the spot!

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Yes, OP, I live on the Big Island but just as far from you as it could be. I live in a rural area down by South Point.

Like any small, rural town, you and I both share experiences. Such as not only finding someone to do handyman or landscaping work, but also having them show up when they say they will. Agee with Hotzcatz — you need to get involved with the community and establish those all-important connections. Just finding a group that you can sit and have coffee with once a week will give you great benefit in many ways. When you live rural, you have to be either totally self-sufficient or have some good people you can rely on.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Awe, the hardships that you are facing. Grow up and buy your own home. Art, get a real job! Oh no, you can’t go to Coachella and visit your friends; life seems so tough! You are pathetic and do not know what hardships people who have real jobs face!
Hey I have to say my life has been becoming pretty awesome, but I went through a ton of hardships to get to this point. My alcoholic mother died when I was 9, my parents were divorced before I was born, I was neglected, etc. I had no self-esteem, I was severely depressed, and struggled with an anxiety disorder. But I've healed myself tremendously. I worked with Special Education students doing psycho-educational reports for years. Life is what you make it. Art has a place and I want to use it to bring joy and promote positive causes. I also want to do environmental work to help bring nature back in harmony and help create Utopia for all human beings. And possibly become a therapist or healer of some sort. (I see Hilo has a Masters in Counseling Psychology). I hope you are enjoying your life, everyone deserves to.

Also, my dad is aging, I'm an only child, and I'm all he has...we help each other now. It wasn't always that way. It would be his house too, and I would be working to pay him back.

Last edited by staralfur44; 06-14-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island