Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 02:46 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Aloha!
Something else she should consider is substitute teaching for a while particularly if your move would not coincide with the beginning of a school year. She would then get to experience all of an area's schools first-hand. Once she has demonstrated effective classroom control they will fight over her. She can also negotiate a contract including medical benefits mid-year if she agrees to take an unfilled position. Chances are good that the following year she will land the exact job she would like. If you are credentialed anywhere, sub pay is $178 per day, and the substitute teaching class is waived for 5 years.

I sub in Maui and now only work at my favorite school. I've had offers to go full-time but choose to sub since this is my retirement job. Teachers in this state get 18 sick/personal leave days a year so there is a constant need. Many have no saved sick days even after a long career.

One final note: Start the application process early. She will need sealed copies of her transcripts from every college attended. It took months for me to become a sub here even though I am credentialed and have 30+ years of experience. (I have heard that the process has recently been streamlined to some degree.)

Good luck!
Our move would coincide with the school year so there would be no need for her to substitute teach. Your point about getting to know different schools is a good idea, but substitute teaching really isn’t what she wants to do. If she was retired like you, yeah, but she isn’t. She is still young. Also, it’s hard demonstrating classroom management as a substitute in a rowdy classroom. Classroom management starts on the very first day of class and as a substitute it’s nearly impossible to implement structure especially if there is no structure in the classroom. For my wife when she takes a day off and there is a substitute, the class is well behaved because of her classroom management skills, not the subs. Her class knows to behave with a substitute. Classroom management is her strong suit.

When she talked to DOE they told her she would start out at step 6 or 7 and class IV.

She already applied. She is in the system. She is in the process of getting her Hawaii license. She just needs to get her Praxis confirmation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Classroom management starts on the very first day of class and as a substitute it’s nearly impossible to implement structure especially if there is no structure in the classroom.

I do this on a daily basis.
A couple of classroom Aides have told me that my day(s) in their room was the first time they've ever seen the class under control. After you get to know the kids at a school and build the necessary rapport with them, control becomes a piece of cake. They want to please you once you've made the effort to get to know them. I go to their football games, wrestling, and even fishing with some of them. I'm not a hardazz or a control freak. I genuinely enjoy the job and the kids can tell.

Subbing can be harder than full-time but the biggest advantage is not having to go to teacher meetings to get beaten down over test scores each week. No lesson plans or evaluations either!

It's too bad your wife won't have the opportunity to work at several schools before choosing a job. The differences can be startling. Racism was the biggest obstacle I faced when I started and it wasn't from the kids. I now know which places to avoid.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I do this on a daily basis.
A couple of classroom Aides have told me that my day(s) in their room was the first time they've ever seen the class under control. After you get to know the kids at a school and build the necessary rapport with them, control becomes a piece of cake. They want to please you once you've made the effort to get to know them. I go to their football games, wrestling, and even fishing with some of them. I'm not a hardazz or a control freak. I genuinely enjoy the job and the kids can tell.

Subbing can be harder than full-time but the biggest advantage is not having to go to teacher meetings to get beaten down over test scores each week. No lesson plans or evaluations either!

It's too bad your wife won't have the opportunity to work at several schools before choosing a job. The differences can be startling. Racism was the biggest obstacle I faced when I started and it wasn't from the kids. I now know which places to avoid.
My wife says the same exact thing. She builds a rapport with the kids. She does use a lot of humor. Her strategy isn’t being a hard ass or control freak. She has strategies she uses and they seem to work. I’m not really sure how she does it, but her classroom is never out of hand. There is this newer principal and she has asked her to help other teachers out with classroom management. She felt awkward about it. She felt like stepping on another teachers toes.

But yeah, kids do see if you enjoy what you are doing. My wife has said that there are days you have to fake it. Not every day is a good one, so those bad days you just fake it.

That’s sad if there is racism from other colleagues. It’s intolerant and ignorant. She does have the personality where she doesn’t require to be liked. She prefers a very small circle, but that small circle she will do anything for.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
No lesson plans or evaluations either!

No evaluations? Hmmm, I don't know if that gives parents much faith in substitute teachers.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No evaluations? Hmmm, I don't know if that gives parents much faith in substitute teachers.
Substitute teachers don’t need evaluations. Why would they? No where in the United States substitutes need that. Substitute teachers don’t need lesson plans either. Not to be offensive, but a substitute is a babysitter. They don’t teach anything. The idea that there are uncertified teachers in the classroom is insane. Most states even a substitute by law has to be certified. Which means they have their bachelors in education, Praxis, and semester of student teaching in two levels. Without that, you can’t sit in a classroom. For instance, Pennsylvania is one of the most strict states. That’s where my wife did everything.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I was referring to formal evaluations. Any administrator can decide that you are not adequate and remove your name from the sub list for that school. As a sub you have nothing approaching tenure. If you aren't good, you get blackballed. A number of subs at our schools are retired teachers and are far more competent than some of the full-time teachers.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I was referring to formal evaluations. Any administrator can decide that you are not adequate and remove your name from the sub list for that school. As a sub you have nothing approaching tenure. If you aren't good, you get blackballed. A number of subs at our schools are retired teachers and are far more competent than some of the full-time teachers.
My wife has a preferred sub list and a do not prefer sub list. She leaves her lesson plans with every substitute. Unless you’re a sub and do something crazy, no administrator is removing you.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
My wife has a preferred sub list and a do not prefer sub list. She leaves her lesson plans with every substitute. Unless you’re a sub and do something crazy, no administrator is removing you.
If you are in one of the areas that is difficult to staff (Hana, Molokai, etc.) you only need a high school diploma to be a substitute (and be at least 18 years old).

It really makes you wonder where we are headed in the future? I'm guessing classrooms with big screen TVs and onscreen lessons taught by Bill Nye the Science Guy or Khan Academy type instructors with minimally competent proctors to take roll and maintain order (bolstered by cameras). Troublemakers will be sent home to become "independent learners" with access to the same programs.

Education is the last huge pool of public money that has not been privatized and many in the private sector are desperately anxious to get their hands on it. Between the disrespect that the public is being taught to have for teachers and the endless, useless, hoops we are forced to endure, few want to become teachers.

Change is coming in a big way!

Old 06-30-2019, 03:46 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Do not email - walk in the door.

Do not try to contact them from the mainland.

They have no interest in anyone from the mainland. However, when you walk in the door, you're not on the mainland anymore.

On the first day or two of your vacation, walk into the administration building of the schools you're interested in. No appointment, no calling, just drop in and ask about being hired. Make an appointment to see the principal in person, not via email or phone call.

When showing up, don't wear nylons or a tie (depending on gender someone from the mainland may choose one of those to show sartorial respect, but it just screams 'not from around here'). 'Resort casual' is dressy enough.

Futuremauian has a brilliant idea! Subbing is a great way to get known as well as find out which schools you'd want. You could walk into the admin building and ask about being a sub and then work up to the teacher positions.
Now THIS is a good suggestion. An out of state email asking about job opportunities will be treated only slightly better than a spam email for penile enhancements

I was going to give you the hawaii male standard business attire - (non-garish) aloha shirt, slacks, dress shoes, belt (substitute dark jeans, sneakers for more casual). But since its your wife applying, I would simply suggest wearing something appropriate for the class room. DONE.

Last edited by rya96797; 06-30-2019 at 04:29 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 11:32 PM

16 posts, read 16,073 times
Hello,
I have been lurking on here for a year and three months, as that was when we decided to move to Puna.
I am a teacher as well. I filled out the entire application, went to the recruitment, and was put in the pool. After I was officially in the pool, I sent my resume to the four high schools on the Puna side. Initially, I only heard from one. I got hired for a "better job" than I originally applied for (I am seriously nervous), and not by the school who initially responded. The same day I got another call for an interview for a school in Kona. I agonized, as it was a regular teaching job. I decided that "A bird in the hand..." was a "foot in the door." I took the job on the Puna side. Kona NEVER called me back for the interview. Phew, I made the right decision.
My own extended family did not take me seriously about moving to Hawaii. One of them recently freaked out in my driveway, when they finally realized I was actually going. They thought I was wishful thinking, then thought that I would not get a job.
I don't know where I am going to be living, yet, and that is okay. So far, it has all just fallen into place. We are trying to buy a certain house, but may end up renting if we don't get it. I am flying over first, and my husband is finalizing the sale of our house, then following with kid and dogs.
We might love it there long term, and we might not (seriously don't think that is going to be a problem). The thing is, at least we are going for our dreams instead of paying them lip-service. I'd rather try and fail, than sit around bitterly wondering 'what if??' I do have to admit to having a pretty good idea of what I am getting myself into. I spent the first twelve years of my career teaching on an island in the South Pacific.
I like the idea of your wife going in and asking to talk to them. When you get here, next year, you can come 'round for bbq!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island