Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

Renting instead of buying may be good, ameliefrnch. Once you're in the DOE system, you can shift schools pretty easily (if there's an opening in the school you'd prefer) however, if you have to sell a house to move, it can be more complicated. Since it's a statewide system, you can even shift islands and still retain employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If you are in one of the areas that is difficult to staff (Hana, Molokai, etc.) you only need a high school diploma to be a substitute (and be at least 18 years old).

It really makes you wonder where we are headed in the future? I'm guessing classrooms with big screen TVs and onscreen lessons taught by Bill Nye the Science Guy or Khan Academy type instructors with minimally competent proctors to take roll and maintain order (bolstered by cameras). Troublemakers will be sent home to become "independent learners" with access to the same programs.

Education is the last huge pool of public money that has not been privatized and many in the private sector are desperately anxious to get their hands on it. Between the disrespect that the public is being taught to have for teachers and the endless, useless, hoops we are forced to endure, few want to become teachers.

Change is coming in a big way!
Maybe privatization is good. Works for everything else, why not education? And at least then parents get school choice. My wife supports eliminating the DOE. She believes they are more a problem than help. The DOE has too much say that and powder on things they know nothing about. What does some bureaucrat from DC know what’s best for a school than the community? All the power and the ongoings belong to the school district and community with the Federal governments nose out of it. This way teachers can be teachers and the school can decide what is best for their students.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Now THIS is a good suggestion. An out of state email asking about job opportunities will be treated only slightly better than a spam email for penile enhancements

I was going to give you the hawaii male standard business attire - (non-garish) aloha shirt, slacks, dress shoes, belt (substitute dark jeans, sneakers for more casual). But since its your wife applying, I would simply suggest wearing something appropriate for the class room. DONE.
My wife was not asking for a job opportunity. She is in the pool of names to be chosen. The meet and greet was more for her to get a look around, some questions she had, and yes, to put a face to her name if a position in her content area were to be available.

Teachers have a dress code where she teachers. I’m sure it’s the same.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliefrnch View Post
Hello,
I have been lurking on here for a year and three months, as that was when we decided to move to Puna.
I am a teacher as well. I filled out the entire application, went to the recruitment, and was put in the pool. After I was officially in the pool, I sent my resume to the four high schools on the Puna side. Initially, I only heard from one. I got hired for a "better job" than I originally applied for (I am seriously nervous), and not by the school who initially responded. The same day I got another call for an interview for a school in Kona. I agonized, as it was a regular teaching job. I decided that "A bird in the hand..." was a "foot in the door." I took the job on the Puna side. Kona NEVER called me back for the interview. Phew, I made the right decision.
My own extended family did not take me seriously about moving to Hawaii. One of them recently freaked out in my driveway, when they finally realized I was actually going. They thought I was wishful thinking, then thought that I would not get a job.
I don't know where I am going to be living, yet, and that is okay. So far, it has all just fallen into place. We are trying to buy a certain house, but may end up renting if we don't get it. I am flying over first, and my husband is finalizing the sale of our house, then following with kid and dogs.
We might love it there long term, and we might not (seriously don't think that is going to be a problem). The thing is, at least we are going for our dreams instead of paying them lip-service. I'd rather try and fail, than sit around bitterly wondering 'what if??' I do have to admit to having a pretty good idea of what I am getting myself into. I spent the first twelve years of my career teaching on an island in the South Pacific.
I like the idea of your wife going in and asking to talk to them. When you get here, next year, you can come 'round for bbq!
That’s awesome. The best of luck to you. What is your content area? My wife really has no idea what she is getting herself into. She has only taught on the mainland in a regular rural school in Virginia. She definitely has her concerns and reservations. She is not only nervous with that, but she is nervous leaving our oldest daughter behind who is in college and her mom who we are all she has. There will be a big decision to be made in less than a year. A BBQ sounds great!

When did you find out you had an offer? My wife is nervous about that.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Also, when was your call for first interview? Like you, we would be moving with our 11 yr old daughter and a pet and the sooner we know the better. In regards to house we will probably VRBO until we found something.

My wife is also curious how was the interview with the school? Was it a phone call or Skype? Was the interview difficult or relatively easy? What was the time frame from first interview by the school to being offered a position?

Also, what made you decide Puna? I hope these questions aren’t too intrusive, but there aren’t any people who know the process that we can get information from.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Maybe privatization is good. Works for everything else, why not education? And at least then parents get school choice. My wife supports eliminating the DOE. She believes they are more a problem than help. The DOE has too much say that and powder on things they know nothing about. What does some bureaucrat from DC know what’s best for a school than the community? All the power and the ongoings belong to the school district and community with the Federal governments nose out of it. This way teachers can be teachers and the school can decide what is best for their students.

Generally, when folks in Hawaii use "DOE", they are referring to the Hawaii State Department of Education, not the DOE on the Federal level.

Hawaii public schools are all run as one big state wide system. There's no school districts as far as the funding goes so schools in more affluent areas are funded the same as schools in poorer areas. At least, in theory. Kids live in certain areas and go to certain schools, but that's on the kid side of things. On the school side, they are all run by the Hawaii State DOE.

Since it is a statewide system, teachers can move pretty easily from one school to another since it's all the same employer.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally, when folks in Hawaii use "DOE", they are referring to the Hawaii State Department of Education, not the DOE on the Federal level.

Hawaii public schools are all run as one big state wide system. There's no school districts as far as the funding goes so schools in more affluent areas are funded the same as schools in poorer areas. At least, in theory. Kids live in certain areas and go to certain schools, but that's on the kid side of things. On the school side, they are all run by the Hawaii State DOE.

Since it is a statewide system, teachers can move pretty easily from one school to another since it's all the same employer.
Yeah, I heard that. I wonder if that is good or bad that the entire school system is one district. Every state has their own DOE, But every school district is its own entity. Some are by county, others are independent of the county.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Yeah, I heard that. I wonder if that is good or bad that the entire school system is one district. Every state has their own DOE, But every school district is its own entity. Some are by county, others are independent of the county.

According to many teachers and Admin. here in Maui, the lion's share stays on Oahu. That includes funding, department offices, etc. The only Personnel Director is there as well. If you need to interview on the outer islands, it is done by a random school principal.
Many schools here are in appalling condition and not from vandalism. It's simply years of neglect. I've heard they are much nicer on Oahu
Separate county districts would probably provide more equitable distribution of funds.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,044 times
they are funded the same, in theory, like hotcatz and futuremauain mentioned. in reality it is not. there's a lot of factors that go into how funding is divvied up. A chunk obviously has to do with enrollment. But there's a lot of other factors, a lot of which is highlighted by regional differences, which I mentioned in earlier posts

Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 AM

16 posts, read 16,073 times
Quote:
Also, when was your call for first interview? Like you, we would be moving with our 11 yr old daughter and a pet and the sooner we know the better. In regards to house we will probably VRBO until we found something.

My wife is also curious how was the interview with the school? Was it a phone call or Skype? Was the interview difficult or relatively easy? What was the time frame from first interview by the school to being offered a position?

Also, what made you decide Puna? I hope these questions aren’t too intrusive, but there aren’t any people who know the process that we can get information from.
My content area is Language Arts/English, high school level. I am not going to be teaching though, and that scares me.
My first call for an interview came in May. Honestly, in 23 years of teaching, that is one of the earliest interviews that I have ever had. Most schools seem to wait until the last minute to hire. We were prepared for that to happen, and were ready to just roll with it. The interview was just a phone interview. It was what you would typically expect. Research the school, first. I was offered the job a few days later, and had no problems resigning from my current job.
We picked Puna because we like how it is more agricultural, and affordable. We want at least an acre, so that we can have chickens, and our daughter can have a goat. It is more laid back. Puna is also cheaper than the place we are fleeing.
I managed to talk someone into renting a little, tiny house to me. Getting a place, without flying over, is hard, due to all of the Mainlanders who have flaked out, or got there, then said, "Ew, no!" Two things helped me convince someone to rent to me: 1) my age (high forties), 2) That my car is currently on a ship to Hawaii. The benefit of me going first, is that I can secure a place for our dogs to go straight to. The place I am currently going to rent is NOT going to be that place. I am going to be a great tenant! Still hoping to buy a certain house, though.
Speaking of dogs... make sure that you sort all of that out 120 days before you go. If you call Hawaii directly with your questions, they are very helpful. Give yourself extra time.
Oh, and someone said that you can just switch schools. The DOE told me that, to get 'permanency' I had to stay at the same site for three years. If I switched before three years, I would start again. At first I was sort of 'tripping'. Then I realized, 'So?' So I start over? So what? I most likely will switch, as I want to be in a classroom, and not an administrator. At least I will be on the right island, for me.
Being on the 'right' island, I think is rather important. I did not want to move my daughter (age 8) more than one time. For example I could afford Oahu, but deep down, it is too busy for me. So, we decided not to take anything that wasn't on the Big Island. One move.
Lastly, I am not calm inside at ALL! I seem calm, but every time I think about it, my stomach falls. Change is good, but scary! I will let you know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island