Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

Aloha! I have a wonderful job opportunity in Hilo and my husband and I have been researching the possible move (from Colorado) for nearly a year. We are looking at properties in the deSilva Elementary area— this school has wonderful ratings and seems to be a great public school option for our 3 kids, aged 5, 7, and 8. I haven’t been able to connect with families who have made this move to understand what the transition was like for them. I hear lots of cautionary information about how kids, especially haole, have tough time. But would love to get info from somebody with firsthand experience. We would be eager to learn Hawaiian language, participate in events and volunteer opportunities, and take every opportunity to integrate/participate as members of the community. Has anybody made this transition with kids and would be willing to share about your experience?

Last edited by Danicamarielee; 10-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 12:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I wrote up some of our experiences here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...ce-live-2.html

You'll be fine until your kids get to middle or High school, then the problems start.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 PM

17 posts, read 19,907 times
Take the advice that has been given. The big island is not you hear about. Yes your kids will do alright for a while but as a fellow poster has mentioned it will get worse. Now that's just for your kids. ...what happens to you adults is even more absurd. If you want to learn about the Hawaiian language and you don't mind broken English mixed with true Pigeon lingo then you'll do well. Think of it as being in middle school and everyone's new word is the f word. Oh yeah, you and yours will be subjected to a level of hatred because you're white. ....prepare yourselves for chronic guilt and unjustified hardship because you believe this is a place of love and easy living. From someone who comes from CO and sold everything to come here, just to be lied to repeatedly and beat on so much that I can't stand to another make the same mistake, please reconsider this job. Prices are much higher then they tell you, rents are through the roof, and most of then leak anyways..... please take the time for truly think this through. For you own sake, as well as your children's.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:40 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
^^^^ has not been the experience of ourselves or anybody else that we know. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying we don't know anybody who has experienced it.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 AM

69 posts, read 76,906 times
We have had NO problem with our child being accepted and she is in middle school. That poster above, BigLieland seems like a very negative person who brings on negative responses from others.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM

159 posts, read 124,985 times
I think its a bad idea... The big island is kind of poor because there is no industry or commerce. Lots of homeless people .. I used to live on island of Oahu (Honolulu) for like ten years plus. But I have visited Hilo a bunch of times. The public schools there are crap and the locals tend to be cliquish toward mainlanders.. Try Oahu instead maybe.. Good luck

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 12-31-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-10-2020, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 21,353 times
I used to live on Big Island and I would not move my family to Hawai'i. It may be good for a single person or a couple but not for a family from the mainland.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM

112 posts, read 96,722 times
We like living on Big Island. It is different but so is everyplace. Give it a try...if you don't like it you can always move.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:16 AM

17 posts, read 19,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisambas1 View Post
We have had NO problem with our child being accepted and she is in middle school. That poster above, BigLieland seems like a very negative person who brings on negative responses from others.
Too bad you head is firmly stuffed where it shouldn't be.....take away your gated community and coward nature to these animals and you'll see the haterd.

For S&G, go out on the street and try talking to the folks who live out there. Chances are you're get the truth about this island.

As far as the negativity you say we have, try this: put down your credit cards, your passive aggressive behaviour, and get real.

Haters gotta hate...? They do, and with good reason. Get robbed of all you've work, kicked to the street for fulfilling a contract, and be accused of being lower than pond scrum because of the situation you find yourself in at fault of your own. Word to the wise, watch what you say about folks here on this forum and in public; you might just find yourself in front of one and the experience won't be pretty.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:58 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danicamarielee View Post
We would be eager to learn Hawaiian language
If you want to, go ahead. But you won't need to. They speak English in Hilo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island