Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 41,612 times

Advertisements

This is just kind of a conversation starter.

What sorts of small businesses do you think would be nice in Kau?

Love the area, have been improving our property there for the past 6 or 7 years. Will be retiring and moving to the next stage in the next 3-4 years. Just dreaming a little...would love to hear some thoughts from the group...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,166 times
You can also join some of the Facebook Ocean View groups. This question came up on a few FB posts and there was a pretty healthy response from 5he OV community.
You'll get way more information from OV residents there than you will on this forum. Just not a lot of OV residents on this board.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Thanks Grassy Knoll...Good insight. I poked around for Ocean View groups but would really appreciate suggestions as I mostly located pages that aren’t active...
Thanks again

Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Maybe some of the suggestions could be brought over to here as well? There's other rural parts of Hawaii which may want to use the same sorts of things?

There had been an OP on here asking about zoning for a coffee shop in Volcano, but there's a fairly nice bakery/coffeesnack place in Naalehu, so not sure if Ka'u needs another one?

Geographically, Ka'u is a pretty big place, would folks from one side of Ka'u go to the other side for a business? Although, I'd suppose it would depend on which sort of business.

There's also demographics as to how many people you need to have in an area before it can support a specific type of business. That is, of course, if one assumes the business is there to be profitable, sometimes folks have businesses for other reasons although they do have to make a minimal amount of profit or they don't stay there very long.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Ocean View Community Bulletin Board and Watch Group is very active on FB.

Hard to say what would be needed in 3-4 years. One example: My friend has a coffee truck that she parks on the highway in Naalehu two times a week and is very successful. Maybe she'll get tired of this and be gone in 3-4 years.

It's hard for a "small" business to be successful. We have local farmers and ranchers who provide produce and beef on a small scale; local fishermen who sell their catch locally to restaurants and neighbors; small coffee and mac nuts growers; etc. What is always needed are skilled professions such as appliance repair, locksmith, plumber, electrician, etc. Never enough of them!

Good point about Ka`u being big. It's hard enough for us to go from South Point to Ocean View (about 25 miles) for a grocery store. We certainly wouldn't go to Volcano for a small business.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Okay, don't laugh but I am very partial to an indie bookstore...I know everyone is going to immediately think that a small independent book seller cannot compete due to amazon, e-readers etc.

But I still like the idea of offering a nice little bookstore to the community and think it could be pretty sweet...there are lots of retirees in Discovery Harbor that might want to support a small business...and most books can be ordered so a huge inventory isn't necessary. Bookstores can have a great vibe...even kids/teens might enjoy one! Have some cards, gifts...and limited hours.

It is true, people can always order books online and pay less...there has to be the desire to support a local business and the business needs to offer something inviting...like atmosphere...

When I am in Kau I always have the feeling that people would appreciate a few small places to shop...

Realistically though I know there is not an abundance of money to spend in Kau so that is why I am throwing the question out there. To see if anything else comes to mind for people.

My husband and I have had long careers in education...preschool, K-12 and college so maybe there is something there. He also loves outdoor education.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:43 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
I think one problem is finding a good storefront at a reasonable price. Just look at the shopping areas in Na`alehu and Ocean View. Stores seem to come and go, although the small shops near the Ocean View market seem to be doing well.

I was just thinking that a good thrift store would be nice, but I really think most businesses need the tourist trade to survive.

An indie book store???? If done well it might make it. Cozy book store and coffee shop/wifi, for example.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:43 PM

112 posts, read 97,138 times
I would love to see a franchised type of fast food on Ka'u. We have two grocery stores in Ocean View.
With the traffic to South Point, Volcano and the growing OV community a Wendy's, etc. would do well.

A Domino's or Pizza Hut would be great too!

Old 12-10-2019, 01:23 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,558,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
I would love to see a franchised type of fast food on Ka'u. We have two grocery stores in Ocean View.
With the traffic to South Point, Volcano and the growing OV community a Wendy's, etc. would do well.

A Domino's or Pizza Hut would be great too!
I hereby Second the Wendy's suggestion.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:01 PM

65 posts, read 69,423 times
The plan is to live in Kau area with a friend of mine within a few years. Things we have in the works:

Spray on concrete construction. Thin shell dome buildings, concrete fences, large water tanks.

Aquaponic farming. Prawns and leafy greens.

Food truck with a creole southern flair (my buddy is from Louisiana and is a hell of a cook), using a lot of prawns.

Small scale brewery selling the results through the food truck. Couple beers, a hard cider.

More pie in the sky:
Strawberry guava based distilled spirits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island