Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 01:34 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times

Advertisements

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket $$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 03:48 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvieron View Post
Aloha everyone, my husband and I are planning to move to The Big Island, sight unseen in mid May 2020. We are not newbies to islands, as we previously lived on Ambergris Caye, Belize for 5 years, moved from Belize to St. Croix UVSI sight unseen in 2013 and have been here since. We are both in our mid fifties and retired. No pets. We have done a lot of research online on Hawaii as far as the cost of living, health care, etc. Our plan is to have our Jeep shipped from St. Croix to Kona in May, stay in a VRBO or Airbnb or somewhere cheaper in Kona West for 4 to 6 weeks to give us a chance to look at where exactly we would like to rent a condo/house long term. Does anyone have recommendations/suggestions that would help us? Any recommendations as where to stay our first few weeks? Thank you so much.

Rereading your post, I think the actual question is where to stay when looking for a rental. Everyone has kinda gotten lost over on the shipping the jeep or not shipping the jeep issue, which, from reading your post may not even be an issue.

What sort of long term rental will you be looking for? In town? Near the beach? Rural? If we knew what other things you'd be looking for in a long term rental, then perhaps we could have a better idea of where you'd perhaps like to find a temporary base camp for your longer term house or apartment hunting.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:49 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
No comment on where to stay from me because I haven't a clue. In a tent on Spencer beach?

Seriously, I would look at bouncing around to several different general locations via B and B to get a feeling for what it'd be like living in those areas.

Such as: Ali'i drive, Captain Cook, Waikaloa, Hawi,.. ?

Old 11-25-2019, 11:01 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
So, Hotzcatz and Arktikos, I actually addressed that issue in post #2. Unfortunately the thread went off the rails with post #3. Maybe that's why we haven't heard from the OP in a while. Glad you brought it back around.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:55 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Quote:
Aloha everyone, my husband and I are planning to move to The Big Island, sight unseen in mid May 2020. We are not newbies to islands, as we previously lived on Ambergris Caye, Belize for 5 years, moved from Belize to St. Croix UVSI sight unseen in 2013 and have been here since. We are both in our mid fifties and retired. No pets. We have done a lot of research online on Hawaii as far as the cost of living, health care, etc. Our plan is to have our Jeep shipped from St. Croix to Kona in May, stay in a VRBO or Airbnb or somewhere cheaper in Kona West for 4 to 6 weeks to give us a chance to look at where exactly we would like to rent a condo/house long term. Does anyone have recommendations/suggestions that would help us? Any recommendations as where to stay our first few weeks? Thank you so much.
Check VRBO in Naalehu. I've found long term rentals in Discovery Harbor several times at good rates. Approximately half way between Kona and Hilo. I always found it to be a good base for the island.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So, Hotzcatz and Arktikos, I actually addressed that issue in post #2. Unfortunately the thread went off the rails with post #3. Maybe that's why we haven't heard from the OP in a while. Glad you brought it back around.

Ah! You're right! Good job on answering the actual question, although I missed that in the general kerfluffle of the jeep. Still, it would be nice to have more of an idea of what the OP wants. I don't have a lot of ideas for them since we're over on the Hamakua coast instead of the Kona coast.

One or two week stays in several different areas might be a good thing so they can get a feeling for some of the different areas.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:13 AM

60 posts, read 63,587 times
She does say she might stay in a Air BnB or VRBO, so it sounds like she's got that covered. Then she asks for suggestions. So does she mean areas? Like where vacation rentals might be cheaper? Discovery Harbour was a very good suggestion. Waikoloa Village maybe. In Captain Cook they could stay at the Manago Hotel (the restaurant has the best pork chops in Hawaii). Cheap places in Kailua-Kona would be the Islander Inn or the Seaside Hotel. Islander Inn units are all individually owned studio condos, but it's run like a hotel by Hawaii Resort Management. The Seaside is actually a hotel, but they do have monthly rates. Best of luck to them.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,040 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband said that I shouldn't have mentioned the Jeep. He is bringing his 'special" Jeep lol, but we will sell our other car. Yes, I was looking for a more central location in Kona for us to rent a place for 4 to 6 weeks.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband said that I shouldn't have mentioned the Jeep. He is bringing his 'special" Jeep lol, but we will sell our other car. Yes, I was looking for a more central location in Kona for us to rent a place for 4 to 6 weeks.
I have a Jeep, so I know how he feels.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Very few of us on this forum live in the Kona area. You might get more suggestions if you go to a website called Konaweb and post on their forum. Just don't mention the Jeep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island