Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 4,859 times

Advertisements

Happy Sunday all, my wife and I live in North Texas have our entire lives, we are mid 50’s. Quick questions for retired mainlanders and current retired Islanders, what part of the BI is best for retirement? Rent or own?

Mahalo
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 04:24 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Could you explain a little more about what you mean by "best for retirement"? Close to medical care, such as it is on the BI? Close to shopping, or more rural? Do you want to grow your own food?

Rent or own would depend on your preference. What is your budget?

Did you see this recent thread "What do retired people who live in HOVE or Puna do?"?

Old 01-19-2020, 04:45 PM

69 posts, read 77,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecatmatt View Post
Happy Sunday all, my wife and I live in North Texas have our entire lives, we are mid 50’s. Quick questions for retired mainlanders and current retired Islanders, what part of the BI is best for retirement? Rent or own?

Mahalo
Matt
It is cheaper to own than rent. The East side is tropical and has the beautiful water falls and jungle. The Kona side is more like Texas, hot and arid with cacti.

I live on Kaloli Point a small peninsula off the sub division Hawaiian Paradise Park in the Puna District. It is a very quiet neighborhood with well kept homes and beautiful ocean front homes. We are about 20 mins south of Hilo and we have a lot of retired folks out here who still enjoy an active life style living on the ocean,

Old 01-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Apparently I didn’t think that question out very much

Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Best place to retire on the Big Island? Probably Hualali Gated community if you have 4-20 mil to plunk down on a house.
Otherwise, your question is way too vague to give any real answers to. What price range of houses (or are you thinking condo?) will you be looking at? What activities do you enjoy or anticipate participating in? Any health issues? Like rural or town-life? Etc....

Old 01-19-2020, 06:37 PM

Hit the quick reply and erased the last part of my post

Old 01-19-2020, 06:41 PM

Why can’t I see my whole post?

Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM

112 posts, read 96,920 times
We retired to Big Island after selling our house, guns and almost everything we owned in DFW.

Buying a home and property in Ocean View was our plan all along. We rented for a few months in Kona as we looked for our
"new" home. We ended up with a very nice, modern house with 1840 sf on two acres. The acreage was landscaped with plants, flowers and a small macadamia tree grove.

The house has several lanais and large picture view windows with vast views of South Point.

We are at 3100' and have mild days and nights.

The terrain on this side of the island really reminds me of the Texas Hill Country.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to help where possible.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, Im new at this forum thing. We actually got married on Oahu in 1988, it's changed a lot since then.

We have been to all the Islands except Molokai and found the BI was a good fit, especially the Kona side, we were there in September and December of 2019.

We are still a few years from actually retiring but wanted to start getting ducks in a row, we already live in a 55 community up in the Denton area and commute to Dallas for work, moved out of Dallas due to the crime going up. How is the crime rate in the OV area? I hear there is a meth problem on the islands?

UGH! My guns never thought of it! Are you allowed to have a gun as long as it's registered with the local Sheriffs Dept. and keep it it in your house?

What about the home insurance? Lava Zone? I haven't experienced "VOG" yet, how bad does it get south of Kona?

Any help is great information, Thanks!

Matt

Old 01-22-2020, 10:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Vog is about all gone now that the volcano is resting. Not that it can't come back, but it's not around at the moment. When it was here, it was pretty bad in large areas of Ka'u.

For retirement, somewhere close to medical facilities, somewhere close to supplies and whatever form your entertainment takes. Perhaps Waikoloa Village? They are pretty much built around a golf course. Less crime up in that area, although things are more expensive, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island