Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 02:32 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Last month I bought a big anvil (like 70lb) for our maintenance department from Amazon, took checking a bunch of vendors but it shipped free with Prime.

Can you PM me a link for another one? Something like that won't be shippable for very long! Gotta grab it while it may still be available!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevlf View Post
Hotzcatz you seem very knowledgeable about all things big island could I ask you, what is the best way to figure out which subdivisions dont allow rooster fighting/breeding and actually enforce this. I dont have a big list of request as far as what area I end up buying in other than no roosters, on grid electric, and need high speed internet.
Rooster fighting is illegal in the entire state, not just some of the subs so technically none of them allow rooster fighting. However, anyone can breed them and the serious rooster breeders are really obvious since you can see all the little rooster huts in their yard on Google Earth and Google Street View. Roosters never really shut up, so when looking at places just stand and listen, if there's a rooster farm nearby you'll be able to hear it. We looked at one house (here on the edges of town!) that had a neighbor three houses over who had about three dozen roosters in their backyard. We didn't bid on that house. So when there are closer neighbors, there's generally less roosters since roosters lower the value of houses.

Probably the high speed internet will be the most limiting factor, Then grid power. Roosters are more site specific than any of the others. There's less roosters in town, but prices are higher in town, too.

It's best if you move over and rent for half a year before deciding exactly where you want to be. There's so much variety in the different areas that finding the exact place you want when not living here is almost impossible.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:22 AM

31 posts, read 29,069 times
Thank you for the feed back

Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 PM

38 posts, read 42,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can you PM me a link for another one? Something like that won't be shippable for very long! Gotta grab it while it may still be available!
Have you asked Dick Threlfall if he has an anvil for sale? He was a farrier for about fifty years, and all his stuff is in storage since he sold the goat dairy last year. I know that he had several in his shop last time I was there.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 AM

Thanks, Howleeboy! Next time I see him, I'll hopefully remember to ask.

We're still aways out from setting up the shop it's still being built (needs more Simpson fittings to pass inspection) and we've got one major project to finish off before finishing that. Then we will be looking to get everything out of storage and set up. At the moment, a backhoe is higher on the list than an anvil, but Amazon will not ship those at all. At least, I don't think they do?

Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Bruder-JCB-Mi.../dp/B0014VQGX4

Old 02-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howleeboy View Post

Bwahahahahaha! Good one, Howleeboy! That plus one of those comic book magic resize devices would work.

We see those mainland equipment ads on Craig's List, but they look like scams. Trying to find a backhoe that we can afford locally is difficult since most of them are so beat up. One will appear eventually or perhaps my friend will get his fixed.

Sourcing things on an island 3,000 miles away from many other places can add interest to any construction project. But, unless one knows what one needs for the project, just bringing in stuff means that it will then need to be stored somewhere. So, I dunno, is any potential savings worth it?

Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 PM

IMO, used equipment is a money pit like boats and hot rods. If you and Ross can borrow or rent, you’re doing just fine.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:15 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,778,443 times
"which subdivisions dont allow rooster fighting/breeding and actually enforce this"

The only ones I know of are in lava zones 1 or 2, so I wouldn't recommend them regardless. A lot of the rooster farms aren't visible from the road, the best way to know if a property you are looking at is near one is to go there and listen at 4am because they are surprisingly quiet during the day. We have one about 6 lots away from us and can't hear it in our bedroom, but the ferals do wake me up occasionally. We sleep with windows closed due to the coqui frogs. Don't count on google maps, roosters may have been removed or added since the images were taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island