Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I freakin' hate Costco in Kona, probably because the local one here in Alaska has spoiled me.

It takes about 15 minutes to get in and out here while in Kona in takes that long just to find a parking place. The drive time is just "a tad" longer too.

Kombucha is really expensive in Hawaii. If you're into that stock them up.
Totally agree about the two Costcos. Gas line in Kona made me nervous. I was afraid I'd mess up and the people behind me would lose their Aloha spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 11:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Totally agree about the two Costcos. Gas line in Kona made me nervous. I was afraid I'd mess up and the people behind me would lose their Aloha spirit.
The gas line! OMG, I've never gone through that at Kona but my sister talked me into doing it on Maui during a visit last winter. I would certainly not go through that agony on my own.

She warned me that the gas pumps were semi defective and would click off over and over again, so it would take forever to fill tank.

I thought, sure no problem for me.

Well, gawd damn, it did exactly that multiple times despite my best efforts so I finally abandoned the fill up due to fear of peer pressure to get the heck out of there! Good thing the car was a gas miser Corolla rather than my gas guzzling old 4Runner on the Big Island.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:16 PM

112 posts, read 96,666 times
I've never had a problem with the gas pumps at Costco Kona. Maybe a user issue. Did you point it out to the attendant or ask for help?

I've also never had a zip-tie put on my car at Home Depot so I may be an exception.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:20 PM

65 posts, read 69,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Water tank. I've noticed that a plastic 1,000 gallon tank costs about $1,000 less here in Alaska than on Big Island, so can just imagine it'd be even cheaper in California. You could resell and make a few hundred bucks profit.
Funny you should mention. My friend and I both plan to build houses on the BI in the near future. Two 1000gal Norwesco plastic septic tanks are going to go. Price at manufacturer in Washington state, about $1000. Same tank in Hilo, $2500. And you can stuff them with clothes or whatever. Repeat, brand new, UNUSED septic tanks.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:19 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kombucha is easy to make once you have the 'mother' or what ever that fungus thing is called..
Not a bad idea. It's also easy to make your own beer and wine but most people don't.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I would take some Mexican and Italian spices in factory sealed jars or little cans. I could never find what I needed at the markets in Hilo. Take lots of shorts as you'll wear them daily and they sell out really fast over there.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:24 PM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
If I had to do it all over again, I would not bring a thing. We sold most of our furniture however we did bring a few pieces. In the end we bought stuff here that was more suited to being on the island. We brought too much kitchen stuff. We weighed their advantage and disadvantage of bringing it versus having a garage sale before moving. We thought that it would cost too much to replace and that may be true but we also found that we don’t use nearly all the stuff we brought. My recommendation to anybody is don’t bring a thing

Old 07-18-2020, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 4,956 times
We are looking for a live work situation on Hamakua coast... anyone know of anything?

Old 07-18-2020, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 189,079 times
You will find that items purchased online usually do not ship to Hawaii. If online merchants do ship, the cost is ridiculous. For example, items costing up to $15, Hobby Lobby will charge you $29.95 to ship to Hawaii. This is not the exception, this is very common. Therefore, what you think of as inexpensive items to be replaced and purchased in Hawaii are NOT inexpensive to replace. So, if you have room in the container, take items you like. Wish I never let my husband sell my decorations at our garage sale.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM

52 posts, read 36,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I would take some Mexican and Italian spices in factory sealed jars or little cans. I could never find what I needed at the markets in Hilo. Take lots of shorts as you'll wear them daily and they sell out really fast over there.
So glad you mentioned those! I have been buying a variety of Italian and Mexican spices plus and leaving sealed. I'm trying to buy more shorts too. That's kind of tough with the fitting rooms closed, but still trying. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: