Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 08:26 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,776,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I know things are done differently here and we are learning that and adjusting to it, but it would be beyond irrational for a principal to not fill a position and leave it open because a local is not available to take that position. So leaving that position open just puts more burden on the teachers you have and is a disservice to the students who are local. Also, it makes a principal look bad not putting a available qualified teacher in that position who can help with test scores. Not hiring a qualified teacher because they are from the mainland is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Your wife teaches English, but does she speak pidgin? For some of the local kids English is practically a second language. She teaches one of the few subjects where being from the mainland with better qualifications could be a problem for her. Maybe the school administrators need a poorly qualified teacher who will rubber stamp the kids through graduation so that they don't lose their school accreditation. When my daughter went to Keaau HS they were under some kind of probation and were risking losing their accreditation to teach high school (I didn't even know that was a thing).

And remember, a lot of parents don't want their kids to speak haole English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:44 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,776,712 times
Quote:
I hope you’re wrong because if you’re right, we will be going back.
I've only been here 8 years but I have noticed that the ones who go back are the ones who tried to bring the mainland with them. If Hawaii was for everybody, then everybody would want to live here.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:24 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,289,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Perhaps that is the key to your mystery. School Administrators DO call your previous employers for recommendations. Her former principal may have indicated that your wife is "difficult". Clearly something has caused her to be rejected 6 times in a teacher's market and it isn't being overqualified.

Edit: A Principal will NOT say something negative for which they could be sued. They will either grow quiet when asked a pointed question or state that they prefer not to answer a question. (No comment.)
When I started here, I know for a fact that my former Principal was contacted.
That’s not what happened. Lmao. They did not contact her former principal. Secondly, if they did and her former principal did do as you stated, that means absolutely nothing. Not all teachers and administrators see eye to eye. We have all had bad bosses. That doesn’t necessarily mean it has any bearing on the teacher. Some administrators are nightmares to deal with. This principal came from an elementary background and wanted things done from that perspective and she was also a miserable human being. She also didn’t have teachers backs. 16 teachers left that Middle School because of her this year alone and 12 last year. That’s a problem in a school where turnover isn’t that significant.

It’s not a teachers market in Hawaii when students are not in school. I know you insist it is my wife who is the issue. Maybe you can call one of the principals she interviewed with and ask. You’re still involved and know administrators. I’ll give you her name.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I've only been here 8 years but I have noticed that the ones who go back are the ones who tried to bring the mainland with them. If Hawaii was for everybody, then everybody would want to live here.
The only thing we are trying to bring from the mainland is my wife’s job. If that can’t happen here, it will have to happen somewhere else. We love it here, but she isn’t going to not teach. We wouldn’t mind a Wendy’s.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Your wife teaches English, but does she speak pidgin? For some of the local kids English is practically a second language. She teaches one of the few subjects where being from the mainland with better qualifications could be a problem for her. Maybe the school administrators need a poorly qualified teacher who will rubber stamp the kids through graduation so that they don't lose their school accreditation. When my daughter went to Keaau HS they were under some kind of probation and were risking losing their accreditation to teach high school (I didn't even know that was a thing).

And remember, a lot of parents don't want their kids to speak haole English.
I don’t think it’s that. A teacher who my wife is friends with here is a highly qualified English teacher from the mainland and she had no issue getting a position last year. I’m not sure if they asked her how she grades and what expectation she has of students. Her expectations are that they try their best and she will help them in regards to grading them that way. She understands there are low performing students, but she wants to give you at least the tools you’ll need to better yourself.

That is a shame that their are parents like that Who don’t want to see their children have more than them. Without being able to properly read or write, you better have tough hands if you want to make a living. Also be willing to work 7 days a week with very little vacation time. Or just collect welfare from the taxpayer who is able to read and write. That way every day is a vacation and you don’t need tough hands. They could always be teachers here.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:07 PM

terracore
Our daughter goes to private school here and they are very challenging and have very high expectations, but the students are mostly haole.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,722,905 times
Quote:
Our daughter goes to private school here
Hopefully not mentioned in the interview

Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 AM

451 posts, read 405,394 times
Nyfinestbxtf, in Hawai'i developing and maintaining personal relationships is incredibly important. You wrote in one of your previous posts that a principal e-mailed your spouse and stated, “you are highly qualified, highly educated, and experienced. You will find a teaching position.” That should be recognized as an opportunity for your spouse to perhaps reach out and discuss with the writer of that e-mail why your spouse is experiencing problems securing a position after multiple interviews. Perhaps asking to meet for coffee (mask on and practicing proper physical distancing) to ask for advice ....

Old 09-10-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hopefully not mentioned in the interview
That would be inappropriate to ask and none of their business.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Nyfinestbxtf, in Hawai'i developing and maintaining personal relationships is incredibly important. You wrote in one of your previous posts that a principal e-mailed your spouse and stated, “you are highly qualified, highly educated, and experienced. You will find a teaching position.” That should be recognized as an opportunity for your spouse to perhaps reach out and discuss with the writer of that e-mail why your spouse is experiencing problems securing a position after multiple interviews. Perhaps asking to meet for coffee (mask on and practicing proper physical distancing) to ask for advice ....
My wife has been emailing schools and letting them know her availability and that she would like to be a substitute if not permanent positions are available. Only Hilo High School reached back to her and will endorse her substitute application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island